Clear Oil Paint/Glazing/Medium?

Hi All,

Is there a low toxicity glaze recipe, something that will stick and bind with very little pigment. Along those lines can spike oil be used as a substitute for OMS in the medium recipes?  

Thanks Jay Johnson

Comments

• You could try using water mixable oils and thinning with a lot of water, but not sure if that would break the fat over lean rule. It also might be hard to judge the colour as it will be lighter when mixed with the water and darker when the water evaporates.
  • I did the water thing with acrylics but it tended to make the paint layer weak.
  • You could use a combination of water and water mixable linseed oil mixed with WMO paints? They way you could have a layer that's strong enough but not too oil heavy..

I know stand oil painted on a surface will wrinkle, not sure if pure linseed oil would too.
  • jaypjohnson

A small bottle of Liquin Original or Liquin Fine Detail will do exactly that.

Spike Oil is not able to function as a solvent like OMS in a medium.
    Citrus derived solvents are a candidate. Zest It or many other similar brands.

Denis

BOB73jaypjohnson
  • MeganSMeganS -
    edited April 2017
    I use spike oil in my glaze. Let's see if I can find the recipe. Here is a blog post about WFMartin's glazes. I can't find it on Wetcanvas, it's too big! http://susanflockharttechniques.blogspot.com/2007/11/wf-martins-glazing-mediums.html  I use the medium medium for all glazes since I don't use much glaze at all. I only use it to darken the darks or to make skin more translucent. 

'Medium' Medium This is the second glaze recipe and is made up as follows:

• 2 parts Turpentine (or Oil of Spike)
    • 2 parts Damar Varnish (or Venice Turpentine)
    • 1 part Linseed Oil

I use oil of spike lavendar and venice Turp with refined linseed oil. This recipe mixes extremely well with Geneva paints as a glaze but the clove in the Geneva will make it longer to dry. Oil of spike lavender does not dry fast either. Very open glaze.
    dencaljaypjohnson