Vaseline on brushes?

2»

Comments

• Ah, yes. I see now. That's a great idea. Thanks, @dencal:)
  • @tassieguy and @dencal I used o-rings but I also used flat rubber washers.  If you look to the jars to the left and back you will see them.  Those brushes have ferrules wider than the handles. So the opening needs to be wider.  
    I used a drill to enlarge the flat washer center where needed.  
  • Thanks, @GTO. Some of my flats have wide ferrules so I may have to do the do the same. 
  • GTO & Rob

Yes, I see the problem. All of my brushes are tapering pencil width types.
    Riggers, liners, fans and large bristle, I usually oil clean on the run but can be held in suspense by means of a clothes peg on the lid.

Denis
    tassieguy
  • @dencal. I just made a larger hoe and then used a wider washer that stays with the brush handle and covers the hole.  This way I don’t have to take the lid off the jar.
  • edited September 26
    I've saved several large Vegemite jars that should be good for purpose. What sort of bit should I use on my electric drill to put holes in a plastic lid? I want to make clean holes like I see in your jars @dencal and @GTO. I don't want to split the plastic lid by using the wrong drill bit. I'm a hopeless handyman. 
  • GTOGTO -
    edited September 26
    @tassieguy. I used some plastic lids and a metal lid.  I clamped a piece of wood down and flipped the lid over so there was no space between the surface of the lid and the wood.  Wearing gloves I held onto the lid to keep it from spinning and I carefully used a drill bit (the kind with a pointy end for drilling holes). I slowly drilled the hole so that the lid didn’t spin in my hand.  When the drill gets to the point where you are breaking through the lid is when you have more torque and the lid will want to spin so don’t get in any hurry drilling the holes.  
    I have to day that I love this solution to keeping the brushes.  Clean up takes like five minutes now and the brushes are always ready to go at the next session.  
  • Rob

I just use a ‘normal’ 10mm wood/metal drill bit. Drill with lid attached to jar to provide good hand grip.
    The lids of these old peanut paste jars are made of a soft and flexible plastic.
    Make a little start point with a knife point where you want the holes placed. This prevents the drill bit wandering. Angle the drill from side to side to allow the bit to bite. 

Denis 
  • Thank you @GTO, @Suez and @dencal. All good ideas. I'm going to get someone to hold the jar/lid firmly in place as I drill the holes.  :)
    GTO
  • @tassieguy getting someone else to hold the jar would be a whole lot easier than say, insuring your hands by Lloyd’s of London.  😂
  • Cheers, @GTO. All done. I have two jars each with 10 holes. So, enough or 20 brushes. If I'm not using a hole, I plug it with Blu Tack to stop air getting in. I ended up doing it alone and managed to stab my hand with the drill only once. Minimal damage.  :)
    dencalGTO
  • @tassieguy you’re going to like that setup for the brushes, a lot.  I can’t believe how easy it is to clean up, how much time is saved and the brushes stay in better shape!  Thanks @dencal  for posted this solution.
    dencal
  • dencaldencal -
    edited September 28
    GTO

Yep. A slick and close brush with perfection 😃

One more thing. A good idea to position these brush holders out of harms way. That is a place where they can’t be knocked over. Ideally a blob of hot glue on a length of plywood, can be removed with alcohol.

Denis
  • Yes, I agree, @GTO. It's the ideal solution to the tedious problem of brush care and clean up. It saves time and saves your brushes. A big thank you to @dencal. :)
    dencalMichaelD
  • edited September 28
    Great ideas. I already use the scourer in the jar with gamsol. 

I think I may try the suspension in jars of walnut oil too.
    dencaltassieguy
  • BTW, @dencal, I bought that o-ring set from Bunnings. Great range of sizes.  I just need to get one more Vegemite jar for my big flats that I use for large areas of sky. Those big o-rings in the Syneco pack should be perfect for them. There is a jar of Vegemite almost finished in the pantry. Guess what we're having on our toast at breakfast tomorrow morning. lol.  :)
    dencal
  • tassieguy said:
    Guess what we're having on our toast at breakfast tomorrow morning. lol.  :)
    I hope it's not brush dip..
    tassieguyjudith
  • judithjudith -
    edited October 5
    tassieguy said:
    BTW, @dencal, I bought that o-ring set from Bunnings. Great range of sizes.  I just need to get one more Vegemite jar for my big flats that I use for large areas of sky. Those big o-rings in the Syneco pack should be perfect for them. There is a jar of Vegemite almost finished in the pantry. Guess what we're having on our toast at breakfast tomorrow morning. lol.  :)
    I have a lovely collection of the vegemite jars...

I do what Mark showed us...the oil and clove oil mix ...wipe dip and hang ...I just drilled into a wood block (that is screwed to the wall) to hold all the ends of the brushes and they hang angled on my wall...they are covered in the oil and cloves and get wiped once a week if not used

I just keep a newspaper on the floor under
    But that jar and lid look is getting under my skin and I will want them by the end of a month for sure

I also love this product...Australian made ART Spectrum non toxic oils:

tassieguy
  • I ran into problems of having brushes becoming dried stiff even after cleaning repeatedly until i started using special brush soap by da vinci.  I leave some soap in the brush after a second cleaning and just wash it prior to use. Works great with wmo. Soap is here
     https://www.gerstaecker.nl/da-Vinci-Kernzeep.html
  • MichaelD said:
    I already use the scourer in the jar with gamsol.
    Do you find your brushes have a short life? The only solvent my brushes experience now is very quick dip or two to then wipe off the worst paint - and I don't even do this at all for natural hair like sable. Then straight into brush cleaner and clean. My Rosemary & Co brushes have not lost shape in two years except two that I misused - eg, the pointed round I was scrubbing paint in a bit with and splaying rather than using it properly. I don't ever use solvent when painting now I understand its impact on the paint film. I wondered if solvents were part of the reason some people's brushes don't last.
    I do suspect misuse of brushes on the canvas like I did is probably the primary cause.