First Oil Paintings

VioletViolet -
edited June 28 in Post Your Paintings
All were done on  9x12 canvas on sale from Michaels using a very old set of W&N Artisan water mixable oils done in speedy mode due to smell. I love the way oils blend and even better that they will also dry! I've used oil pastels in past which also blend nicely, but they never dry. So this is a huge win!  

This was the first one and a total mess. Some of the oils were dried up and came out of the tube as pasty as an oil pastel. Took me a while to realize even though they are water mixable, water wasn't working to rehydrate them and figure out I needed to add the linseed oil. Duh.

dencalGTOtassieguyMiojay80Allie

Comments

• The cat painting is fantastic. The dogs left eye looks off and I’m not sure what the red and white thing is around his neck.  
    But you nailed the cat!  I can’t wait to see what you do with some good paint. 
    Violet
  • Its like a kid's tutu around her neck. Its my granddaughter's dog. 

Thanks.
  • edited June 28
    @Violet, I love the cat. The fur is great and the eyes are amazing.

The dog is cute but has some problems mentioned by @GTO. The sea in the picture with the boat is a little over-saturated.

However, they are all great first paintings.  I think you'll perform wonders with some decent paint if you follow Mark's method closely. 

I look forward to seeing more of your work. 
    Violet
  • VioletViolet -
    edited June 28
    BTW, here is reference for my granddaughter's dog... with the tutu (sorry it didn't read as what it is). LOL. That thing was something else to try to capture in a quick manner. ALSO, coming from oil pastels where you have a gazillion colors and no mixing, trying to get the right colors with limited paint was new to me as well.

allforChrist
  • I really like the cat.  Well done. I look forward to more of your work.
    Violet