have you ever thrown away any of you paintings?

have you ever thrown away any of you paintings? I have. I Feel kind of bad because of the cost of canvas paint and time, but some of them are soooo bad I dont't even want to be reminded of them.

Comments

• I throw away ones that I can't paint over. If I can sand them smooth, gesso them and use them again then I will. However, I've only done that with acrylics and mixed media. So far I haven't felt like I need to throw away any oils. When I throw away a canvas I don't just throw it away, I burn it.
    maugiezippy122
  • Grandma said:

When I throw away a canvas I don't just throw it away, I burn it.

:))
    tjsAmritmaugie
  • oh yes, and I don't just throw it away, I get the scissors out.
    maugie
  • Now that made me laugh
    maugie
  • He sent what to the cornfield?
  • All the time! I throw 'em in the garage and eventually I go through the piles and toss 'em. Feels great!
    maugie
  • If someone or something made him mad he sent them or it to the cornfield.
    tjs
  • The garbage can is my favorite part of my 'filing system'! :)
    tjsmaugieCin_D
  • edited May 2013
    Not yet, (just started) but I'm working on a few to dispose of :))
    tjsmaugieGary
  • You guys are funny. Great way to start the day ~O)
    Amrit
  • AmritAmrit -
    edited May 2013
    David Carder, I think it's time to get an LMFAO button.
    Grandma said:

When I throw away a canvas I don't just throw it away, I burn it.

I ship mine off to North Korea and get Pak Pong-ju to nuke the hell out of it. He actually provides a 2 for 1 service for frustrated painters.
  • :)) :)) :)) :):)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Never could figure out why some paint so easy and other's are :-& from the first stroke of paint....?????
  • For those of you old enough to remember the Lil Abner Comic there was a character named Joe Bifspek (I think he's the one) who walked around with a black cloud over his head. Well, some days I find that he's left his black cloud hanging over my easel! And then some days I realize that I have bought a canvas that has had a voodoo curse put on it. Having lived in New Orleans I should have recognized the bad vibes and left that one on the shelf, but no I've brought it home and started putting paint on it. Anyway, there are times when a bad painting just happens and has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with me as the artist. Stuff happens. I'm completely non-superstitious and totally logical about all this, but I won't repeat those compositions, so some weeks I spend more time looking for inspiration to paint than time putting paint on the canvas.
    It comforts me to know I am the only one in the world with this problem; in some small way I am saving the rest of y'all. =))
  • maugie said:

have you ever thrown away any of you paintings? I have. I Feel kind of bad because of the cost of canvas paint and time, but some of them are soooo bad I dont't even want to be reminded of them.

Yes.

I tell my students it took 10 years before I painted a painting I was happy with. I think my sister has one or two of those, but most of the others are happily decomposing in a landfill somewhere. I liken it to keeping every one of your term papers from high school. Once you've learned how to write, why keep the note cards, outlines and drafts?

The first couple of years of painting are your note cards, outlines and drafts. They might be helpful, though painful, reminders. But not necessary to keep if you don't get anything from them but bad thoughts.
    maugie