Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Laminating photo paper

Hello, I am currently reading Mark's guide to photography/editing/printmaking on the draw mix paint page. He recommends using photo paper, and after experimenting with both photo paper and regular paper, I totally agree. However, I don't understand how to laminate glossy photopaper, without the temperature of the laminate damaging the surface of the photography. 
Do you guys have any experience with this?
Regards Espen.

Comments

• Aloha @espnerhus
    i have tried all kinds of printing methods st all levels of cost 
    this week I was very surprised to get a super quality / color match to reference image for 0.87 cents at legal size on good quality card stock from a local printers 
    ok - so this means that you may not be able to wipe away your color match initial tries - but so what just get 3 or 4 copies of the same print - seriously I was amazed at the image quality I had the print up to the computer screen and it was as close as you could wish for - why pay for laminate / glossy image when you can throw away the used cheap print and move on to the next fresh print 
    worth a go me thinks 
    al
    espnerhus
  • After I laminated a few prints my laminator began to chew them. I couldn't work out if it was because either the machine was a cheap or the pouches were inferior, or both.

I recently purchased clear perspex, cut to A4 as thats the biggest I am presently working on.

I just attach it with masking tape and can use it again and again. No more laminating needed.

Works for me so far
     :) 
    espnerhus
  • @MichaelD ;   When I laminated my photos I found that the laminate dulled the image very slightly.  I have the laminating done by a local printer. Does the perspex also dull the image a little?  Does the perspex give a gloss-like finish or do you rely on the underlying photo for the gloss?
  • I have a cheap laminator.  I tried 3-4 different brands of laminating sleaves. A couple affected the colour of the underling print (especially making the darks milky). I found one that was almost transparent which I now use. I've had no problems with temperature affecting the result. Like @alsart I've found a local cheap printer that does wonderful prints way cheaper and easier than what I can do at home. But again I had to shop around.
    espnerhus
  • edited December 2018
    @Dianna, yes I found the laminate gave a slight grey milkiness to the photo. The perspex is absolutely clear and does not alter the image. As for gloss, well the prints of my photos are not particularly glossy to begin with. The perspex certainly does not add or take anything away that I can see.
  • A few light coats of acrylon clear (glossy) acrylic sealer from a spray can will not change the color as much as laminates will and you can wipe away test splotches easily wit a dry rag. The print has to be on a good quality Glossy (no texture) Photographic paper. 
    espnerhus