Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Oil Painting #2

This is my second oil painting.  It is 30 x 40cm on oil-primed MDF -- again a slippery hard-to-work surface for me!  

I made soooo many mistakes on this painting.  I was not familiar with the how transparent and opaque paints work, and still not sure how to use those properties to advantage instead of detriment.  I also kept forgetting the paint was wet so I managed to transfer and smudge a lot of it with my hands.  My brush strokes are horrendous

Comments

• Beautiful! Her face and hair are wonderfully well done. You are far too hard on yourself!
    JPBMoeyMichele
  • I totally agree with Richard. 
    This is beautifully painted. 
    The hair is good , the cat is good, the sweater is good. It’s ALL good. 
    My God , I’m dying to see what you’ll produce when you DO know what you’re doing !!!!  :)
    You have a really bad case of the artist’s curse , that’s all it is. 
    You should be absolutely over the moon with this painting , and to think it’s only your second one ! 
    My advice is to keep at it Moeymichele ! 

MoeyMichele
  • This is an excellent painting.  Her right hand is rendered very well.  The texture and contours of her clothing are perfect.  Great job.
    MoeyMicheleWishiwaspainting
  • edited November 2017
    Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the kind comments, for sure.  The artist I work alongside is very very good, and says my paintings might be decent after I've done 200 more, so yes I am definitely looking with a critical eye trying to see what he's seeing.  I also really do appreciate critical feedback so feel free!  Thanks so much for the support
  • Honestly I'm struggling to find something to contribute here @MoeyMichele. Its beautiful. Maybe the edges around puss could be softer.

Maybe I'm biased. One of my favorite paintings is of the same subject matter - Miss Minna Simpson by Tom Roberts. She lives at the National gallery of Australia and I'm lucky enough to get to visit her regularly :)

PaulBMoeyMicheleBOB73Renoir
  • @Roxy -- how lovely!  Thank you  <3 <3
  • Beautiful !! Just fantastic ! 
    MoeyMichele
  • Kingston said:
    There are now glaring mistakes here. A really good try. I honestly wouldn't change anything. The color seems i bit hampered but the photo. Even so the analagos nature or the colors either intended or sort of adds a certain charm. Show us more.
    Ah yes the analogous colours were intended, I think that's what stood out to me in the original photo -- all the red variants.  I really wanted to focus on exploring texture in the fabrics, and of course all that vibrant red reflected off skin, fur, and stone.  Unfortunately the painting I just finished yesterday (my third, I will try to post it tomorrow), is another red-heavy scene!  I was thinking the next painting is going to have to have a much lighter and cooler range.  Thank you for the feedback
  • Kingston said:
    Attempt neutralizing a a bit. Working color out on cheat sheets. 
    The colour is fairly accurate to the photo, should I have altered as I painted, do you think?  I will try to post a process shot here in a minute.
  • I am sending this from my phone and it is a terrible picture, also this was I think the second attempt at painting the blasted cardigan, which was colour-corrected and repainted again after this.  What is your verdict @Kingston ?  Thank you

jswartzartwerby
  • Kingston said:
    You are doing a great job based on the reference. Is it from negative or Polaroid. Just a strange colored photo. It could be your phone? 
    Probably a little of both, I don't think the photo reference was ideal, but couldn't pass it up because the subject was so lovely .  I think the original photo was taken on an overcast day, and I think my phone is also not handling the subtleties well.  I see what you are saying, I will either need to learn to compensate, use better source materials, or take better photos of the work, most likely all of the above.  Thanks so much @Kingston ;
  • Her skin, the complexity of colors ranging down from her eye to her jaw is just fantastic!!! How on earth, have you been able to PAINT that ? The way you handle the brush is just amazing! Keep it up! Go for new stuff! Will follow you! Best Regards Filuren
    MoeyMichele
  • This is absolutely fantastic! along with everything else already mentioned above, also wonderful work in the clothing/drapery!
    MoeyMichele
  • edited November 2017
    Filuren said:
    Her skin, the complexity of colors ranging down from her eye to her jaw is just fantastic!!! How on earth, have you been able to PAINT that ? The way you handle the brush is just amazing! Keep it up! Go for new stuff! Will follow you! Best Regards Filuren
    Thanks so much.  I apologize that I have not been able to reply before now, end of year is crazy for teachers and mothers-of-six, both of which I am
  • edited November 2017
    Ugh, I find it impossible to post comments from my phone on this site!  Not sure what the problem is.  
    xxgooseyxx
  • Since I have had way more experience with makeup than with paint, I found it very intuitive to apply the paint and blend it with my fingers.  I'm sure this is unsafe with regards to material handling but it seemed the easiest and most effective way to do it.  My brush skills are really very sucky.
  • I found it very intuitive to apply the paint and blend it with my fingers.  I'm sure this is unsafe with regards to material handling ...
    Fingers are a great blending tool.  But watch out - some people have developed a sensitivity to certain chemicals over time.  You might consider using gloves to avoid skin contact where possible.

Case in point: While cleaning out a brush I used to varnish some wood, I washed it in turpentine, used a paper towel to get rid of the excess, and then did something dumb.  You know how Bob Ross used to dip his brush in thinner then paddle it back and forth on the easel leg?  I did that in the palm of my hand.  I'd been doing it for years, but I guess things change over time.  Seven years later, every time certain kinds of soap or turpentine touch my hands, I bleed.  It's charming.
    MoeyMicheleJulianna
  • Ah yes, thank you @PaulB .  I am sure you are right.  I don't want to give myself stigmata
    Julianna
  • getting paint on your hands isn't as big a problem as turps and other solvents the solvents work on your skin just like they work on your paint they dissolve the oily protective sheen then the fat cells in your skin. the paint is generally too viscus and not aggressive enough for penetration over the short term. washing frequently with soap is advised if you can't get used to wearing gloves. I used to do the same as @PaulB when varnishing and painting (industrial stuff, not art) but thankfully never developed that kind of allergy. 
    JuliannaPaulB
  • werbywerby -
    edited November 2017
    looks great so far
  • Since I have had way more experience with makeup than with paint, I found it very intuitive to apply the paint and blend it with my fingers.  I'm sure this is unsafe with regards to material handling but it seemed the easiest and most effective way to do it.  My brush skills are really very sucky.
    I guess I understand your feeling about paying too much on expensive makeup products. I don`t know if there are tips for diy nail polish, but now I am used to diy setting spray such as the aloe vera and rose water. Moreover, the choices of foundations I prefer the cruelty free like bareMinerals on the article of is smashbox cruelty free
  • I love this picture I want to save it to my phone for real. Everything you hate I think is excellent. It’s truly beautiful, your ancestors will be like dang I wish I could have painted with her!
    MoeyMichele