Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Snug Creek - WIP - OOC on MDF - 90cm X 60cm

edited September 2017 in Post Your Paintings
I'm about four days into this one. Still a lot to do. I've just been blocking in really  and I've hardly touched the foreground water and the reflections therein. When I have the canvas covered I'll need to go back over the entire thing and cover some of the  patches of brown stain that I've left showing in many places. I've only started suggesting the sky holes in the trees and there are lots of little bright lights to go in. And, of course, those reflections.

It's probably too soon to post this picture but, anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback on whether the composition is working, if the colours/values look ok and anything else anyone cares to mention.

(The three little shadows along the top are from my easel.)

Thanks for looking.

Rob :)

FlattyPaulBRenoirvinumblankForgivenessSummeranweshaBoudiccaEliza

Comments

• All the things are done! CFP has been established. A marvelous piece. I would put a figure near the bridge where CFP is but that's just me. Great stuff from you!
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 2017
    You're becoming a master at bringing patches of sunshine through the trees. This is already terrific. Composition is wonderful but who threw the albino koala in the drier? (referring to the whitish fuzzball lower left) 
    Speaking of creeks Here's part of Cypress Creek that decided to go for a walkabout. 9AM 8/28/17. Any chance of bringing some of those patches of sunshine this way?

SummerBancroft414
  • Thanks, @BOB73. Those koalas will become clumps of grass eventually. 

Stay out of the water and watch out for gators.  :)
    BOB73SummerBancroft414
  • Yeah I thought so Koalas stay up in the trees don't they? Gators have been seen on this road quite a few times in winter. Believe it or not the biggest critter danger isn't gators or snakes it's fire ants. all the ants from a mound will clump together and float along the top. What ever they come in contact with is gonna be bitten several hundred or thousand times all at once. People have died from them. You know, it wouldn't be hard to turn that grass clump into a triceratops.
    Summer
  • @BOB73 sometimes they like to dine out

@tassieguy, looking very good. You really can capture the essence of the Australian bush.
    PaulBBOB73SummerKschaben
  • Composition looks spot-on to me, and my quick geek check would support that. The two main elements (the road/bridge and the foreground tree) both sit nicely within the gap between primary and secondary golden sections. I predict this will be one of your best yet. If not the best. The water really adds a tranquil feel to it.

RenoirSummer
  • Thanks, @Roxy. I had to juggle a few elements to arrive at the composition but the scene is fairly accurate. I just made it conform more or less to the rule of thirds and added the tree on the left. What's this "geek check" thing you use? I'd love to get my hands on anything that can help with composition.
  • Where were you when you took this picture?  On land?  In a boat?  Thanks. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2017
    Love the "whitish fuzzball lower left".  I noticed it too.  Looks prehistoric and cute.  You have a knack for this.  I'm saving this version but also looking forward to the clump of grass version.
    BOB73
  • @summer, I was standing on a bridge where the highway crosses the creek. The small bridge and road in the picture runs parallel to the highway. 

People keep finding critters in my pictures. :/
    SummerRenoir
  • What sticks out to me is how well you have done the water... I 'understood' it immediately.. that is, all senses perceived it, smell, touch, sound, etc. Getting that see-through look of water is incredibly challenging but you got that and the perfect reflections. Nice!
  • If your mamma was a triceratops and your daddy was a koala, what would you look like. I don't know either but the landscape is terrific; even if you stick geeky yellow lines and critterish fuzz-a-lumps on it.
    Summer
  • Got a bit more done today. Still a way to go yet - I've hardly touched the bottom left and right corners and lots of cleaning up to do and little lights to put in. That's the fun part.

@BOB73, I'll leave the koalatops until last for your continued entertainment. :)

RenoirBOB73SummerBancroft414
  • Crikey! is that that correct form?
  • edited August 2017
    Not sure, @BOB73 but here's a bit more done. 

When it dries I'll oil out so the richness in the dark tones shows up better.

BOB73Bancroft414RonnaFlatty
  • Looking great Rob. I actually think that's a giant anteater- can't spot any Donald ducks though so it's all good
    BOB73
  • Really peaceful and pleasant place to reflect. I'm starting to see your style, Are you? Wonder how much it would change the aura or mood if there was one or two figures there on the bank or bridge. Have you thought about it? I think a lot of people like landscapes with people or animal figures in them more than an "unoccupied" piece of land. The structure in the background is subtle and adds interest without being a distraction. I like it better than the hay shed. 
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks, @Boudicca and @BOB73. I'm glad it looks peaceful - that's what I was aiming for.

@BOB73, I did think of adding figures and @Kaustav also suggested it  but I sometimes find that figures in a landscape can look contrived and, to my mind, it would detract from the landscape. I think the human presence is hinted at in the road and bridge. 
    BOB73Roxy
  • Nicely done Rob as always.  The railings.
  • I think you are becoming a modern master.   I saw the following piece on Elioth Gruner, who was an Australian artist 100 years ago and died in 1957.    I see some similarities and I was thinking about you all the way thru the video. I hope this is as flattering as it was meant to be.  If I find out you dislike this guy I'll be devastated  =)

BoudiccaRenoirKaustavJulianna
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks, @MikeDerby, for your kind words.

Elioth Gruner is one of my artistic heroes. That particular painting with the morning sun raking through the trees and the cows is one of  the first things you see when you when you walk into the NSW Art Gallery in Sydney. it's very big. I've stood before it, transfixed, many times. I'll only ever be able to dream of achieving what he did and it would be a mistake to try to imitate him but I do think (hope) there is still a place in art for traditional realism in landscape painting. :)

PS Really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting it.
    Renoir
  • tassieguy said:
    Thanks, @Roxy. I had to juggle a few elements to arrive at the composition but the scene is fairly accurate. I just made it conform more or less to the rule of thirds and added the tree on the left. What's this "geek check" thing you use? I'd love to get my hands on anything that can help with composition.
    'Geek check' was a reference to some software I wrote that overlays various sorts of compositional grids over photos on a computer. I posted a link to it a while ago, but during the meanwhilst I've made some significant improvements, so I'll post an update and a new link in the next day or so. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2017
    I'm not even an Aussie - live in the US - and I have a eucalyptus tree in the front yard and a koala bear on my desktop for the past 26 years--haha

Bancroft414BoudiccaBOB73
  • Rob this looks amazing! BTW - I immediately saw a giant hedgehog  - not sure if they have any in Australia (too lazy at the moment to research that particular questions) and was amused to read others' similar observations!  I can't wait to see the final and view it from a screen larger than my phone!
    Summer
  • @Bancroft414
    yes, yes we do.....

Known as an echidna
    SummerBancroft414
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks, @Roxy, @Bancroft414 and @anwesha.

It's going to take longer than I hoped. I need to wait until it's dry so I can oil out and see clearly what I've got. I know I'm going to have to tone down the reflections and lighten the upper canopy of the trees. Then I can finally put in all the small sky-holes. 

In the meantime I'm going to start another seascape.
    PaulB
  • What a beautiful scene to paint.  I love the way you put light in your paintings.  Can't wait to see the finished painting. The reflections in the water are beautiful.
    PaulB
  • Just my opinion and observation but I'd say that your subconscious is alive and well the way critters keep appearing in your paintings.  It's something, among many things, that is part of you--in a good way.  We paint not only what we see but also what's on our mind and what we feel.  I hope you will leave 'him' in but no matter, I've saved a copy.  Respectfully.  Summer 
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Summer said:
    ... the way critters keep appearing in your paintings. ...
    Yield to the temptation @tassieguy, and paint a zoo scene!

Seriously though, the water in this painting came out so very well.  Very nice.
    SummerRenoir
  • Oh I love this @tassieguy .  So lovely.  @Roxy !!!!   I'm not very computer literate but absolutely love your golden ration grid - it takes me hours sometimes to measure and set up compositions - I divide by 1.618 in my sleep - I would love to know more about your geek software and hope that I can learn how to use it.  Brilliant!!    My compositions have improved exponentially since I started using a golden mean theory.  @tassieguy is brilliant with his compositions.  Again, this painting is lovely.  Thank you for sharing.

PaulB
  • My brain is 1.618 behind. I haven't been able to grasp any of the technical aspects. Nautilus and geek lines are lost on me yet when I see a good composition I know it. Those compositions in the video were all good except I thought the house was a little off. I'm a little off too so we are even. I don't know why Rob thinks he'll never be as good as Gruner, he's more likely to be the next Gruner. BTW the way that's the biggest honkin' hedgehog I've ever seen. Can you eat those? 
    Summer
  • edited September 2017
    Hedgehogs, anteaters, albino koalas, we were all wrong.
    its pretty clear that there is a LION loose in Tassie and he's having a drink

@BOB73 echidna facts

Top 10 Echidna Facts

1. Echidnas are short, stout creatures. They can average 30-79 cm in length and weigh up from 3.5 to 22 lbs.
    2. The oldest echidna raised by a human lived to 50 years old. In the wild, the oldest recorded echidna lived to 45 years.
    3. The echidna has no teeth. It uses its tongue and the roof of its mouth to mash up the termites and ants it eats.
    4. Echidnas are edible, and have been hunted for food.
    5. The echidna’s mouth is like a long tube with a tongue inside. It opens at the end of the snout, along with the nostrils.
    6. When echidnas are born, they are the size of a jellybean (12mm).
    7. The echidna, which means “snake viper,” is named after a Greek goddess by the same name. She was a terrible monster with the upper body of a woman and the lower body of a snake. Legend has it that she was finally destroyed by a young warrior who filled her body with sharp arrows, looking very much like the sharp spines you find on the echidna’s back.
    8. The long-beaked echidna species have shorter tongues than the short-beaked echidnas.
    9. There are albino echidnas, too. They are white with pink eyes.
    10. Mammals that lay eggs are called monotremes. You can read more about monotremes at Wikipedia.
    Summer
  • While this is all well and good, we just removed a snake from our "enclosed" patio a few minutes ago.  And, a while back, I was woken at 4 AM by a lion's roar outside my bedroom window.  And bear season is approaching which means they will be inviting themselves over to dine from our trashcans twice a week for a while.  You just gotta love the wildlife folks.  Summer 
  • In Australia about 50% of snakebites happen inside the home.

Dont mind us @tassieguy, we're just chatting amongst ourselves while we wait for your next post.
    Summer
  • No, worries, Boudicca. Carry on. :)
    BoudiccaSummer
  • All this reminds me how much I miss seeing Steve Irwin on TV. Any guy who can handle dangerous animals and have enough faculties left to talk let alone be able to tell you everything about them is alright in my book. 
    SummerBoudicca
  • Love this painting! I have visions of scenes such as these and have photos to work from. Paintings like this are very inspiring to me and motivating. I just want to be quiet and get into painting.  
    Boudicca
  • Thanks, @Forgiveness.

I think being quiet and getting into painting is a splendid idea we should all think about. The painting we don't do today will never get done.

Thanks for your comments, @Forgiveness.

Rob  :)
    Forgiveness
  • Lions and Bears?  Where the heck do you live Summer?
    Ok, I'll just relieve that anxiety by thinking about Rob's next post of his finished painting.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2017
    Ronna said:
    Lions and Bears?  Where the heck do you live Summer?
    Between 4500 and 6000 feet above sea level in the mountains of southwestern Arizona USA.  I wonder how many of you have to be armed with a 45 just to go to the mail box?  It's an interesting lifestyle.  Summer
  • You live in the ghetto?
    SummerBoudicca
  • edited September 2017
    Well apparently in Tasmania we have African lions, giant hedgehogs, albino koalas, and triceratops. Rob probably needs an AK47 to get his mail.

BOB73Summer
  • Where do you find these images @Boudicca ???  lol
  • She paints them, duhh?
    Summer
  • ISummer said:
    Where do you find these images @Boudicca ???  lol
    Images from google, add in text.
  • Boudicca said:
    ISummer said:
    Where do you find these images @Boudicca ???  lol
    Images from google, add in text.
    As they say in Belgium: "Bon!" 
  • Rob 

I hope "Creek" is just a working title. If you are thinking of sale or exhibition it needs a 'name creek', something that suggests a story, say Tinman's Creek, or even Ghost Koala Creek.

Denis

PaulBSummerBOB73Forgiveness
  • Yes, @Denis, it's just a working title. If it turns out ok I'll come up with another name. :)
    BOB73