Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Acrylic artist

edited October 2012 in General Discussion
As an acrylic artist I find the info in this forum to be very helpful. I'm working my next painting using only the 5 colors used in the demo and am amazed at the results.

Comments

• Cool, are you still using acrylics? And if so how do you deal with the fast dry time?
  • Hi, I'm interested in knowing the answer to Mark's question too. Also, what brand of acrylics are you using and what are the names of the colors you chose to match Mark's palette? Is your pic one of your works? Looks great!
    Vangie
  • I even did some oil pastels with marks 5 colors...works in any medium I think.
  • Love the grapes!!!! Really good!!!

You may have said before, but why do you use acrylics instead of oil?
    cynthiagwilson
  • This is my favorite of your paintings Cyn....really LOVE THIS!!!! :D
  • Hey Cyn! You know I LOVE this one! :-SS
    Interesting explanation never had the nerv to try this with acrylics, maybe now :D Thanks for the info B-) :)
  • That's a very beautiful painting! You also get two gold stars for the clear explanation.
  • Hi Mark,
    I've always painted in Acrylics before I started in oils. Truthfully, always wanted to learn how to paint in oils instead. It took your method to get me there. I just didn't like the smell of oils. I get serious headaches.
    When the last forum talked about M. Graham Oil paints, and I tried them, things fell into place. I did a painting of grapes in oils first before doing them in acrylics. Here is -

When you did a discussion from the Carder Seminar I saw on You Tube, that made me want to apply your teaching to acrylics. Oils are my first love, now that I found Grahams.
    Acrylics are fun, fast drying, and I still get what I need, it just takes a little longer.

Thanks Liz and MYC. When I do my next Acrylic painting, I'll share my process.
    Acrylics are a layering process. You don't get what you want on the first coverage, like oils. You see on the next layer.

Charley, I'm so glad this helpful. If it wasn't for the this method, I don't think I would have gotten better in both mediums. Mark knows from many, he is a true life saver.
    Cyn. :\">
    tjsVangiemyc
  • Cyn you have always been one of my favorite painters! This is a gorgeous painting. Looking forward to your post on how to do Mark's process with acrylics cause this does NOT look like an acrylic painting. To me it has the same richness you get with oils. BEAUTIFUL!
    Vangiemyc
  • Hi Anderson, thanks so much. The second picture has been done in oils. The post up top is done in acrylics.
    That's what I love about oils is the richness. You instantly see the outcome when you stand back. Most time I feel like I'm painting by numbers when place values in. It always look wrong until I stand back...then go...ok, now I see...lol.
    I'm going to set up something tomorrow. I'll try something small for everyone to see.
    Have a great day.
    Cyn :-h
    Vangiemyc
  • Thanks so much Gary! :x :-h
  • Cynthia

Such solid, luscious fruit. Lovely piece of work. Who cares whether its acrylic or oil.

Denis
    Vangiecynthiagwilson
  • Cyn I love the grapes in both mediums!! Look forward to seeing more from you!
    Vangiecynthiagwilson
  • Both are beautiful Cyn!
    cynthiagwilson
  • Hi, I also was considering Acryl as an alternative to Oil paints, but then, apart from the super fast drying time issues (which is general for all acryl) I heard other opinions that are not supporting acryl compare to oil:
    1. less intense and solid color compare to oil - it kind of pale and not very natural.
    2. acryl loses its brightness after completely drying out on canvas and oil keeps it.
    3. oil is generally richer and deeper.

The pluses of acryl are:
    1. less toxic and odorless (which of course important)
    2. much cheaper compare to Oil

But this is what I learned through out internet and reading people's opinion, I have never tried it myself. It would be interesting to know what people who actually worked with Oil and Acryl thinks about it?
  • Rustem
    Yes there are the physical characteristics you mention. Of more importance are the human characteristics / preferences of the artist.

1. Do you like working quickly?
    2. Do you like subtle blends or hard lines?
    3. Can you tolerate or adjust for the color shift?
    4. Do you like working with thick paint or thin layers?
    5. Do you work in a small space?

These questions are explored at http://willkempartschool.com/what-is-the-difference-between-oil-and-acrylic-paints/

Denis
  • I personally do not like acrylic to work with at all...oil is much easier and thank goodness it does not bother me with smell or other problems. My sister in law uses the golden brand that stays wet much longer and puts a gloss varnish on it and it looks just like oil to me when she is done... If you use acrylic I would certainly try the Golden brand.
  • Hi dencal, thank you for answer. I must say I in all those points you made - l like oil more, and even find smell of oil somehow not bad at all. I find oil much more flexible and fun to work with.

The main concern I had in mind - is Oil indeed best paint base for an artist? And I guess I have an answer.

Thanks!

p.s. agree with LizONeal
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Rustem,
    I can truly understand your feeling about oils vs acrylics :-? . Each medium has a learning curve and both have great benefits. It really depends on the brand of paints you purchase.

For example, if you buy lower grade acrylics, then you're going to get a huge color shift. Meaning, if you make a green 1 part blue and 1 part yellow, and watch it dry, the value of that green may shift or appear darker. That's with lower grade acrylics:-&.

Professional brands like W&N, Golden, and Liquitex has a very, little color shift. The value you've mixed...when dry, you hardly or don't see a value change. With professional acrylics, the open time is longer, without mediums. End better with a medium :x . Love THAT!!!!

In general, it depends on the grade an artist use to get the best results in any medium. I love acrylics, because they dry faster, and I can still do Mark's method just by mixing and placement. I still get the richness I'm seeking in acrylics.

Oils is another plus. Like Liz stated easier. I do mind the smell of oils. That's one reason I've chosen Graham Oils (Walnut Base) No smell. I use both Graham mediums, and I can get it to dry in 24 hours or working longer with the other medium.

Each artist has their own personal choice. I love that fact that I can get what I want in both. I've seen artist that can make the viewer think its oils, when its acrylics. That what draws me to both.

Whatever you choose, the best professional brand makes it POP.
    Cyn.
    :-h
    tjsedward
  • edited January 2013
    Hey, Thanks Charley, Liz, Tjs, Shirley, Denis, and Ronna thanks for your comments on both paintings. :)
  • Hi cynthiagwilson,

thank you very much for answer. I loved your painting, and tell you the truth, couldn't tell it is acryl. It looks so natural! How long have you been painting?
  • I forgot to mention that at times I'll thin my acrylics and run then through my airbrush. I didn't on the above painting though. I did pre-mix the background, the tree and the leaf colors and stored them in plastic film canisters. Old film canisters that is.
    tjscynthiagwilsonGary
  • I am impressed with anyone who can work with acrylics! Wozniak I think your painting is so well done. The colors are amazing ^:)^
  • Wozniak

Super composition and very effective color work. Well done!

Denis
  • Beautiful colors .... very well done! I really like the little bird among all the leaves. How did you like having all your colors premixed and your value puddles ready to go compared to how you approached your other paintings?
  • Very nice indeed. I always seem to end up with dull muddy colors when I try acrylics.
  • edited January 2013

-
    You don't get what you want on the first coverage, like oils. You see on the next layer.

I don't agree with that (sorry Cynthia)
    You can very well have the final result at once without having to return it

the acrylic force you apply because you can't keep the paint very long on the palette even with a retarder

It's in this way that I painted the fabric of my painting "autumn fruits", it took me all afternoon but it was finished on one time :)

• edited January 2013
    Christel said:

-
    You don't get what you want on the first coverage, like oils. You see on the next layer.

I don't agree with that (sorry Cynthia)
    You can very well have the final result at once without having to return it

the acrylic force you apply because you can't keep the paint very long on the palette even with a retarder

It's in this way that I painted the fabric of my painting "autumn fruits", it took me all afternoon but it was finished on one time :)

Hi Christel :) ,
    Then my questions is, what brand are you using? What type of style are you painting in? Decorative, Tole, fine art.

You can keep the paints long if they're on stay wet palette. Pull little of each value, and mix with retarder on a dry palette.

I'm using heavy body acrylic which give great coverage, but even in blocking, I still had to repeat. If I want realism, then I need to add layers.
    If you're just doing block work, then I can understand...detail on canvas is another story.

So describe the brand and your method for not layering (repeating) to get the effect I produce in the first painting with the grapes.
    I do recall blocking, another layer for glazing in shadowing, and another layer for highlights. I'm open to something different. Lets hear it. Show a picture of your Fabric Painting. Cause this sister could use a shortcut.
    :))
  • Let the acrylic wars begin.

Denis

• Denis, no war...lol. I'm really curious about Christel's method. I gotta see it. If there's another way, then tell me...I'm all for change. Especially if it improves skill. Like I said, I'm open to something different. No shame in my art game. :D
  • edited January 2013
    Denis,

I'm not here to make war
    If I do not agree, I am silent, I don't click the small icon "disagree" at the bottom of message

Cynthia,

I am not giving in cause your talent
    I'm talking about just the way so I could paint the fabric of my painting
    Brands: Liquitex Basics mainly and a few tubes others when I cannot find in it...
    To fluidify: flow improver of WN
    To delay: Liquitex slow-dri blending medium and I reserve a retarder from Talens (never used for now)
    My paintings : forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/376/my-paintings#latest

OK I am only a beginner and my paintings are not as beautiful as yours
    Maybe the fabric is not sufficiently detailed for you... but if me I could do it in one pass, you can make it even better than me at once

I hesitated before giving my opinion contrary to yours, thinking that it would be no good received... I'll have to listen to my instinct :-$

If you want, you can ask to delete my two interventions on this subject, no worries for me ;)
    cynthiagwilson
  • dencal said:

Cynthia

Such solid, luscious fruit. Lovely piece of work. Who cares whether its acrylic or oil.

Denis

Denis, I care! I would eat the acrylic grapes but not the oils.
    cynthiagwilsonGary
  • Christel said:

Denis,

I'm not here to make war
    If I do not agree, I am silent, I don't click the small icon "disagree" at the bottom of message

Cynthia,

I am not giving in cause your talent
    I'm talking about just the way so I could paint the fabric of my painting
    Brands: Liquitex Basics mainly and a few tubes others when I cannot find in it...
    To fluidify: flow improver of WN
    To delay: Liquitex slow-dri blending medium and I reserve a retarder from Talens (never used for now)
    My paintings : forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/376/my-paintings#latest

OK I am only a beginner and my paintings are not as beautiful as yours
    Maybe the fabric is not sufficiently detailed for you... but if me I could do it in one pass, you can make it even better than me at once

I hesitated before giving my opinion contrary to yours, thinking that it would be no good received... I'll have to listen to my instinct :-$

If you want, you can ask to delete my two interventions on this subject, no worries for me ;)

Christel >:D< ,
    Please don't do that Love. I respect your views and opinion. I can agree to disagree. It doesn't matter how talented I am, I can still learn something new, and change when it applies. We are all here to support, as well as encourage. Even if I don't agree, I can still receive it.

Your painting is beautiful. I like it. You rendered well.

I disagree on coverage area. Even though heavy does covers well, I feel you have to repeat, to get what you want. Me and you apply paint differently, and it's all good.
    Like I said, we can agree to disagree.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and view. Pleasure posting back to you, and your painting is very beautiful to me. I think you did a wonderful job! =D> =D>

Cyn.>:D< :x :-h ~O)