Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

web site versus facebook page

I've been researching the benefits of a web site versus a facebook page for the purposes of showing my work to interested clients. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Barbara
PaulB

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    This is 100% opinion, should it not be immediately obvious.

FB is a giant ad-driven, time-wasting, corporation-feeding, distraction engine.  Many thousands of clever people are working hard on making that environment more lucrative for FB, and more immersive for you.  It does not align with your needs.  It does, however, provide the potential for exposure, but you would have to work hard at realizing that potential, as you would also for a private website.

A private website doesn't need to be complicated at all, but does need some design work to make it look professional.  One big advantage is that there can be no advertisements, and the simplicity of it can focus on the paintings.

That said, there is no reason you couldn't have both, where the FB content points back to the private web site.
  • Viewership of website is limited but more goal driven. Social media has widespread reach but is distracting especially things like g+ or fb. So both the things are needed and to be handled with care.
    It is important to learn how to make a simple website that provides a direct image of the objective of the artist. Whereas, it is important not to produce a misguided social media presence. 
    That said only important thing is to ask yourself what is the thing that you can paint everyday of your life to avoid all confusion. 
    Barbara
  • Thank you, @Kaustav, @PaulB. I think a web site will provide me with a venue to direct people to who ask to see more work. Right now I have to pull up my photo's off my phone. I'll just have a simple gallery of portraits.. good point @Kaustav.. I've always loved them and can't see myself tiring of that subject. I'll let you know when I have it figured out. 

@movealonghome, I've found some simple web site builders that will be pretty cost effective for hosting as well. So far SITE123 is getting my vote. 

Thanks again, guys!
  • If it's on facebook, I'll never see it. Many, maybe most people in my age group (the age group that appreciates realism more so than others), don't bother with fb but surf for pictures all the time. If you are going commercial a website is essential. You can still use fb to promote yourself though. If I were going commercial, I would use both.
    Barbara
  • Well, @BOB73, I'm pretty sure I'm in your age group and I've been on Facebook for ten years. I find it wonderful for staying in touch with my relatives. I moved to Saskatchewan 11 years ago and everyone else, including my 33 year old daughter, is in Vancouver. I get to see what's going on with them without bothering everyone with phone calls. Works great if you use it right.
    I agree with you, though. I'm going to get a little web site going and put the link on Facebook. I'll hook you up when I'm up and runnin.
    BOB73
  • I wasn't aware fb has been around that long. I see most folks younger than me going around with their faces glued to their phones but generally not the boomers like me ( Born in the first half of the last century). There are a few of us boomers that are more tech savvy than others, that's true and I don't dispute or discourage the value and use of it including fb. Even my wife had a kindle and bought one for me but I never got used to it. Besides, you can't swat a fly with a kindle.
    Kaustavanwesha
  • My wife is a professional photographer (high end portraits).  She does both.  they work in synergy with each other.
    BOB73Barbara
  • edited August 2017
    Today every SME should have a website, FB and instagram (depending upon business) page to promote themselves. They need to be constantly updated so that they appear in the searches. There is something called 'Search Engine Optimization' in search websites that promote certain websites against other ones. If one consistently updates their website, then their is every possibility that they receive better viewership.

Also, there is no alternative to hard copies such as booklets, calendars and prints. If one has started selling they he/she can publish booklets with good photographs, descriptions of their work, contact info etc. These are still presented in the galleries. Slight expensive but this remains permanently.
  • @Kaustav, question; "there is no alternative to a hard copies such as booklets, calendars and prints", some folks do make .pdf copies available and for mailing, do you have any thoughts on this?
  • @Forgiveness PDF is a good way again. I have a lot of PDF ebooks. Only thing that I don't like is that PDFs become really heavy if they contain too many images and a lot of content. Becomes problematic while browsing. pages take time to load even when its is offline. So, I don't think it is a good way to present your paintings. You can publish an ebook to show some special paintings (places you visited, sketches of people etc.).
    Forgiveness
  • @Bancroft414, my sentiments exactly. This experience has transformed my artistic life. Profound gratitude goes out to all of the accomplished artists who still participate in this forum for the benefit of the rest of all.  :)<3
    Bancroft414ForgivenessBOB73
  • The social media platforms used are very dependant on age.  Baby boomers and Gen X are heavy Facebook users.  Millenials and below use other platforms.

BOB73 said:
    I wasn't aware fb has been around that long. I see most folks younger than me going around with their faces glued to their phones but generally not the boomers like me ( Born in the first half of the last century). There are a few of us boomers that are more tech savvy than others, that's true and I don't dispute or discourage the value and use of it including fb. Even my wife had a kindle and bought one for me but I never got used to it. Besides, you can't swat a fly with a kindle.

BOB73
  • Instagram and twitter for sure. There's a relatively new one called steemit. If you're a really ambitious user there's earning potential. 
    KaustavForgiveness
  • I posted a discussion about promoting yourself as an artist. It was a link to one artist's website and in it she details all the things she does that promote her work. You have to read between the lines because she doesn't say "this is how I do it to promote myself" but every thing she does is a step in promoting herself. One thing I didn't mention nor did the artist, is that I have a sister-in-law that is an interior decorator. She sometimes has a need for an artist who can do a custom painting to compliment a color group or represent the client's view or sentiment of a region or anything really. But I think if  you get your work out to these decorators it is just as important as reaching out to galleries. I suggest a greeting card featuring a recent work sent to the individual once a month or two with new images each time it would be beneficial. Of course you would have your tweeter account  and other contact info there.

http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/6646/how-to-promote-yourself-as-an-artist#latest
  • @BOB73, great idea on the greeting cards. 
    "tweeter account" love it!  :3
  • My Sister-in-law the decorator is familiar with my pre-1970s work and she must know what she is doing because she has never, ever asked me to do a painting for her. Her clients are very upscale. 
  • Every time I hear tweeting mentioned it reminds me of the canary that always out-smarted Sylvester the cat in the cartoons. "I tawt I saw a putty tat!"
    Barbara
  • Here's another link to info about using your art in greeting cards with imbedded links to sources that do that for you. 
    https://www.thoughtco.com/paintings-into-notecards-or-greeting-cards-2578008
    Kaustav
  • edited April 29
    That's really interesting. What do you think of SEO practices for a website?
  • edited May 2
    I would disagree with relying on Facebook entirely to see sales and real money in your pocket essentially. It's not only the overpriced ads that they offer, but the scams that exist on Facebook making you an untrustworthy company if you don't have a site. You would be better off by relying on a website that ranks well on Google and that way you will have more organic driven traffic by potential clients. I have friends that use https://cheapseoservices.co/ for quite a while and are very happy with what they have seen so far.
    KingstonFineArttassieguyForgiveness