Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Help selecting colors for DMP beginner

Hi!

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to oil painting and I'm still gathering up paints, light bulbs, brushes etc. 

But selecting the paint is giving me a bit of a headache. I'm currently based in South Africa, so paint is rather expensive. However, I can get my hands on the Maimeri Classico and Artisti range at much lower cost than Winsor Newton Artist's range. 

(1)Would I be going wrong if I went with Maimeri's Permanent Carmine? What other colour would be a good substitute for Permanent Alizarin Crimson? Or rather permanent madder deep?

(2) What is the difference between Ultramarine Deep and Light? Which is better for this style of painting?

(3)If I could get suitable colours from Maimer's Classico range (to start with) it would be quite a relief. As the Artisti colours cost 3x as much. Although they're still cheaper than W&N. On the other hand I don't want to get frustrated with low pigmented paints.  Would the Classico be suitable or must I just go straight for Artisti?

I would appreciate any advice, especially from somebody who has used the  Maimeri oil paints. 

Thank you very much!!

Artisti range: http://www.armadilloart.com/images/Product Images/Paints/Oils/Maimeri Oils/Artisti/artisti_colour_chart.jpg

Classico range: https://www.discountart.com/store/media/Maimeri/maimeri_classico_colour_chart 2500 x 1698.jpg

Comments

• Welcome, Estee. I have no experience with the brand you mentioned. In general you can expect to need more of a student quality paint to get the same coverage as the professional quality. But everyone should paint at least a few times with the student quality so later on you don't mind paying the extra for better handling and mixing properties. I hope some of our other members can give you a  better answer.
    anweshaKaustav
  • As far as I have read Maimeri Classico are student quality, but perhaps the closest in terms of pigment amounts to an Artist Quality range compared to other student ranges.

White, Ultramarine and Burnt Umber aren't expensive pigments so you could get those in artist quality. It's the red and yellow that are the problems!

jswartzartKaustavEstee
  • Hi @Estee for quite a while I was using Maimeri PURO and I love them.  But when Mark's paints came out I've mostly used his.  
    These are the colors I used in Maimeri Puro:
    392 Ultramarine Deep
    174 Crimson Lake
    018 Titanium White
    492 Burnt Umber
    081 Cad Yellow Light
    Estee
  • @Ronna I think PURO are the artist quality ones though. The classico colour chart is here:
    https://media.jacksonsart.com/pdf/classico_cc.pdf

They do have cadmiums so I would go for them even though they are not going to be as pigmented and opaque as in the artist range. They will still be the most opaque compared to the other yellows and reds.

For the red you have a Quinacridone Red which looks good, and also two colours which are a mix of two pigments but should work too: Vermillion Deep (Hue) and Permanent Red Deep. Same pigment mix, probably one is slightly more bluish, but I can't tell the difference from their chart..

Hope that helps!
    Richard

KaustavEstee
  • edited June 2017
    Hi,

First of all reds are not so prominent everywhere unless you are painting red objects, most of the time it is used as a tone changer. So, a lot of different reds are OK for the purpose of mixing only: Alizarin Crimson genuine, Alizarin Crimson permanent, Permanent Madder Deep (Pyroll Ruby/Rubine), Crimson Lake and even Quinacridone Magenta. A lot of people wouldn't believe that a bright orange red is possible if Quinacridone Magenta is mixed with cadmium lemon/pale/light. This can reduce the cost of buying a separate magenta color for the extremely bright pink/violet flowers. But this is a little expensive. If Rembrandt's Permanent Madder Deep is available somehow then buy it. This is the pigment that is being used in Geneva and it is a direct permanent substitute of genuine Alizarin Crimson. No need to look for anything else. This will continue for a long time as only a little amount of red is used in paintings.

Now to answer your questions:

1. Permanent Carmine (PR83). Check if good oranges are possible or not. I am not saying very bright oranges BTW.
    2. Ultramarine Deep (PB29)
    3. My suggestion to you is to go with Classico in the beginning. You'll be using more paint than usual. Although Classico grade paints are less pure than artists grade and Puro range but they still have good reviews. Student colors are good but most of the time they are mixed with fillers, other pigments etc and mixes aren't quite the way they should be. But again I am also using my old student grade paints for my outdoor sketches and I don't see much differences.  When you will be painting better than you do now you will automatically feel hungry for Artist grade.

If you want to spend, then spend money on sturdy good quality tapered edge brushes and good whites (artists or Puro).
    Estee
  • PR83 is Alizarin Crimson, it's a fugitive colour and fades badly. I really would not recommend using it!
  • edited June 2017
    Richard_P said:
    PR83 is Alizarin Crimson, it's a fugitive colour and fades badly. I really would not recommend using it!
    it has been branded as Permanent Carmine. Probably it is not the original pure Alizarin Crimson even if it states PR83. I have a student grade Georgian Cad yellow medium but it contains Arylamide Yellow GX / Diarylamide Yellow HR70, but the the paint label states Cad yellow.

• If it says PR83 I wouldn't touch it.. 
  • According to DickBlick.com it's not PR83, so will be OK..

KaustavEstee
  • Wow thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the advice and insight  :)

I look forward to being part of the DMP community. 
  • Maimeri Classico are oily rather than stiff (which personally I prefer). Just so you know :)