Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lilac tree-plein air

I had a canvas laying around I had previously repaired and we had a rare "perfect" day here, so I went at a lilac tree in a nearby yard for a litthe while.

Little did I know these guys only bloom once a year and for roughly 4 days!  So, I had to salvage one to try and secure some sort of color from it before they all wilted.

Whew, it sort of worked.  I wanted it have some vitality and impressionism to it, and hope to wrap her up in a couple days.

Thanks for dropping by. CC/feedback welcome
KaustavForgivenesstassieguyBOB73Irishcajun

Comments

• really nice. Did you check color etc or painted just the way you wanted?
    JPB
  • It looks beautiful, I like your approach to plein air, and you've captured the true shadow real well. Shadows in still life are quite different, much nicer than from photo. Looks like maybe late day or early evening light? Looking forward to the development.
    JPB
  • It needs more cowbell.   :)

Seriously though, decent.  I think the shadow on the sidewalk might need to be a different color.  maybe I am getting too nitpicky.

JPBBOB73jswartzart
  • edited May 2017
    I like this. I think the lilac of the path reads true and sits well with the flowers. I love the cool green shadow of the tree across the lawn at top right. In fact, the more I look at this the more I like it - there's something about the simplicity and the economy of means that I find very appealing.
    Forgiveness
  • A spray of acrylic fixative will preserve the blossoms.  Don't spray the living plant though, just the cut blossum
    ForgivenessJPB
  • Can this be done with any flower? @BOB73
    JPB
  • I'm not positive but I've done it or seen it on a variety of cut flowers and greenery. This will change the appearance slightly of the texture.
    ForgivenessJPB
  • Wow, grest responses; forgive the slow hit-back!

Kaustav said:

really nice. Did you check color etc or painted just the way you wanted?

@Kaustav, thank you, and I did quite a bit of both here, but as you can tell in the photo, that sun got crazy and everything would have been gold (lol.)  The lilacs ended up being made up from interior balanced light with a warm black, with a couple grass notes being "impression-ized".

It looks beautiful, I like your approach to plein air, and you've captured the true shadow real well. Shadows in still life are quite different, much nicer than from photo. Looks like maybe late day or early evening light? Looking forward to the development.

@Forgiveness, Im pleased it's pleases you! Yeah, certainly much darker and violet in the wild for sure.

JeffAllen said:

It needs more cowbell.   :)

Seriously though, decent.  I think the shadow on the sidewalk might need to be a different color.  maybe I am getting too nitpicky.

@JeffAllen, youre welcome to be as nitpicky as you please :sunglasses:

tassieguy said:

I like this. I think the lilac of the path reads true and sits well with the flowers. I love the cool green shadow of the tree across the lawn at top right. In fact, the more I look at this the more I like it - there's something about the simplicity and the economy of means that I find very appealing.

@tassieguy, thanks, my friend.  I'm glad you noticed some touches of mine!  I'll probably leave it just because you said it reads well.

BOB73 said:

A spray of acrylic fixative will preserve the blossoms.  Don't spray the living plant though, just the cut blossum

@BOB73, very cool tip. I'll certainly be utilizing that in the near future. Thank you.

BOB73
  • nice work , i love it
    JPB