Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Portrait of Captain Edward John Smith (RMS Titanic) (monochrome)

mdorsamdorsa -
edited August 2017 in Post Your Paintings
Hi Cardashians (disciples of Carder... lol)

My dream is to be a portrait painter some day. So, i'm focusing a lot on this genre.

I was looking for a subject and opened a book about Titanic, with lot of B/W photos and found a young-ish Captain Smith. I made it in monochrome cause i'm studying on values first. The original photo is B/W tho.... I'm still thinking in colorizing it from my mind, via drybrush glazes... (should I?)

What do you guys think? It is my 6th paint.

Source

Paint

Thank you all.
anweshatassieguyrautchetanKaustavmelTsandwichRonHop

Comments

• @mdorsa, you did a good job with a difficult photo. If you were going to colour it the easiest way would be to use glazes of transparent paint. 
    RonHop
  • A very good likeness.  It might be the angle of the WIP photo because it doesn't look as though it was taken straight on but his left eye looks too small and too high.  Also, take a look at the value around that eye,  the size of the lightest area between the (L) eye and that side of the face and the underside of the (L) cheek. As tassieguy has mentioned, you've done a great job with a less- than -perfect photo! 
    dencal
  • mdorsamdorsa -
    edited March 2017
    SueG said:
    A very good likeness.  It might be the angle of the WIP photo because it doesn't look as though it was taken straight on but his left eye looks too small and too high.  Also, take a look at the value around that eye,  the size of the lightest area between the (L) eye and that side of the face and the underside of the (L) cheek. As tassieguy has mentioned, you've done a great job with a less- than -perfect photo! 

I agree with you. That eye is out of place. And I noted the value issues too. I just was so amazed with the result (i was never able to paint/draw a person, i'm a beginner)  that, despite the issues, I decided to mantain like it is, as a proof of my improvement. In a year or so, I could compare my work with this one and check for progress. Thank you very much for your response. :)
    dencal