Geneva paints last awhile!

MeganSMeganS -
edited January 2017 in Painting
I've had the Geneva paints for some time but haven't tried to use them until just recently. I tried to paint with only the Geneva paints. Some of the power colors had to come from Winsor and Newton.

I put the paints out on my palette on December 8, 2016.  A lot of the medium came out at first from the tube. I cleaned that up and squeezed until I got paint. Since it had so much medium in it, I decided to let it rest there for a while. I was currently finishing another painting. 

Four days later, I started on a wedding bouquet on Claessens linen #13, double oil primed.  The colors seemed a bit thinner than I would like, but I know I like thickish paint. More like soft butter.

Then Christmas came. I stopped painting. Put the palette in the freezer. I didn't pick it up until today, Jan. 19. That's over a month it sat in the freezer. The parts of the paint already mixed and thinned over the glass were dry, but my primary blobs were fine, including the burnt umber.

Today, I used those paints to finish the painting with some glazing and highlights. The paints are fine. There is a little bit of a film on the Alizarin, but otherwise very workable. It's pretty amazing paint for beginners that need their strings of colors to stay wet. 

I probably won't use the geneva for painting since I like thicker paint and I'm too impatient.  I haven't pre-mixed my colors for awhile now so painting is immediate. The paint is fantastic for glazes though. It is staying in my paints for that purpose.

Just thought you should know!
SummerBOB73

Comments

• Thanks for the review. I've seen some discussions that people preferred the thicker paints and a number of ideas came out about adding "thickening agents" to the Geneva paints. Let us know how they work as glazes. Pretty strong pigments there.