Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Best practices in masking areas on an oil painting. (Friskets)

I'm looking for recommendations on masking sections of an oil painting, what materials are best?  I've done this extensively on sprays and water base, but not sure of best (safest) methods when it comes to oil painting.  As always your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have never done it AFTER painting something but i have used regular painters tape to establish a straight line when just starting out on a stained canvas.  I have considered using tape later in the process but I would wait 3 months or more to do it.  I would worry about the fresh paint coming off with the tape if i did it any sooner.  I bet @dencal has a method.
    BarneyLeach
  • CameronClement

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm trying to imagine the circumstances that might require masking sections of an oil painting.

Denis
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 2017
    I'm looking for recommendations on masking sections of an oil painting, what materials are best?
    I have seen contact paper attached to dried toned canvasses and the results after the oil paintings were finished were flawless.  The paper was pulled away right after the painting was finished before it dried.  These were oval and other sizes of medium-to-large rectangular vignettes and not intricate shapes.  I saw two and more paintings on one canvas done in this way.  I wouldn't use masking tape as a first layer, but it could be used as a second reinforcement layer atop the contact paper.  Friskets?  I don't know.  Might have to experiment.  Hope this helps.  Summer
    CameronClementBarneyLeach
  • Welcome to the Forum.
  • Summer, when you say contact paper, would you mind elaborating with a brand or further description, please? I'm not sure what you mean.