Still Life Help

Good Afternoon and Merry Christmas!

I am working through the method and trying to setup my first still life. I have not had a chance to build a good shadow box or anything yet, so I am using  black artists board. I wanted to know if this would be enough contrasting elements and good enough lighting. I know it is kind of a "what do you want to paint" type thing, but I am trying to get a good feel for drama (good shadow and such) Thanks in advance. Forgive the image, it was taken with my phone.

Jason Lewis
KaustavSummer

Comments

• Jason, I think the composition works but, as Flatty says, the cloth tends to dominate everything because of it's strong colour. Can you find another cloth in a more neutral shade?
    Jason_Lewis
  • @jason-lewis I'm trying to imagine how this orange fabric could work.  Do you already have a place in mind for this painting?  Are you painting it for a particular wall space?  Then the orange would work.  As you can see from my profile picture, I'm rather partial to orange--haha.  Summer 
    EstherHJason_Lewis
  • Hi Jason. I don't know how experienced you are as a painter, but if you want to try out dmp technique, you should keep in mind that every single object will take quite some time to paint and for a start (if this is one of your first still's) I would keep it simple (less objects, less cloth etc.), unless you are very patient and disciplined... I hope we can be of any help with our ideas... good start! Esther
    Jason_Lewis
  • I like the set-up, your color choices, however, having painted some beads not to long ago, I'd forgo them.  It took me forever to paint the beads and have them look realistic.  I don't know how experienced you are.  If you have done a lot of painting and don't mind the tedium of painting lots of tiny little beads, then go for it.  I like the orange with the blue and green, but it may be a little to much.  You might try the orange cloth as only as a backdrop or maybe just on the table top.  With all this being said, you have to please yourself.  It has the potential to be a really nice painting.
    Jason_Lewis
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2016
    @Jason-Lewis Hope you find these images inspiring.  And I agree with @oilpainter1950 that it has the potential to be a really nice painting.  If I were painting this I'd be looking at the backward reflection in a mirror at lot just to get the view of another perspective to keep me on track to see what is working and what isn't.  I'm rooting for you!  And, I hope that you will post the result.  :)

Summer 
    Jason_LewisKaustav
  • Thank you all very much. I will see if I can find a more neutral color fabric. I liked the color of the fabric, but I am not married to it. I think it is a good idea to start more simple, but I am going to keep this layout in my phone so I can come back to it because I really like it. Again, thank you all very much and I will post updates!