Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hangout #1 - "Do you need any natural ability to paint like the Masters?"

Comments

• yeah! I don't have a web cam but it sounds interesting.
  • Hey @markcarder, am I signed up now? Went and signed in on google+ and clicked follow on DMP>
  • yes, you are ready to go, so long as your camera and mic work. You could use your iPad - don't you have one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited February 2013

yes, you are ready to go, so long as your camera and mic work. You could use your iPad - don't you have one?

And don't forget this needs to be installed: https://www.google.com/chat/video

And if using an iPad or other tablet, you'll need the Google+ app.
  • edited February 2013
    I installed it last night - if I can do it, anybody can. Once you do, click the tiny arrow just above the "chat with" box and then click the option to verify your chat settings to make sure that its working correctly.
    Mark_Carder
  • GaryGary -
    edited February 2013
    Sue, you don't need a camera to just watch and hear the discussion. Only need the camera if you were going to be one of the 5 participants and have folks be able to see you.
    sue_deutscher
  • That was great, thank you to mnsrc, Garry, Swift and Liz!!! Sorry you were unable to join us mavis, not sure what happened, we will work it out for the next one.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • I had no idea about this, im watching it now on youtube, I presume its over now ? when will this happen again ?
  • That was great, thank you to mnsrc, Garry, Swift and Liz!!! Sorry you were unable to join us mavis, not sure what happened, we will work it out for the next one.

Aww.. Yeah
    B-) but i did wake up early O:-) I've watched the live hangout.. And now I'll go back to sleep a bit.. I-) next hangout~ :-B
  • I really think there was some kind of conspiracy against hicks...that is why my microphone was muted through the whole thing! :P
    mavis_swt
  • Relax Liz you were not alone, I did try to explain to you but maybe you missed it in all the excitement.
    There was a notification at top left of screen which stated that due to the number of participants my mic was muted by default and at top right of screen the mic icon was red so just click it to activate the mic.
  • Liz you looked funny in there muted.. :p
  • I did see that on the mic and being muted but it would not let me unmute it until the whole thing was over. I could click on it then and got to tell Geneva and Emily hello! Thanks for taking the time to do this Mark. Oh, and Mavis, I just always look funny. 8-}
    mavis_swt
  • Thanks for doing this - it was fun!

Martin
    LizONealMark_Carder
  • It was all those beans, Liz… we didn't want any… funny sound effects. :-S

We'll sort it out before the next one. This was kind of a trial run to figure things out.
    LizONeal
  • Hey Martin....I want to know how you did your lighting! You looked like a pro at this stuff and the rest of us looked all washed out! @David_Quinn_Carder, I started out using my ipad and it said it was not able to do the hangout. I finally got on with my laptop but it has Windows 8 and had to go in through the desktop mode vs app mode. Just fyi for the next one that ipads may not work and Windows 8 requires some downloads first and go through the desktop mode.
  • Washed out is my normal complexion, lack of vitamin D in UK climate :)
    GaryMark_CarderAmrit
  • LOL...our climate is pretty crappy right now too!
  • Hah - thanks Liz! Its just an IKEA clip light that we use for our computer area with no lights on in the back.
    mavis_swt
  • I did it in my bedroom because Garry said he was going to....I don't think he paints those apes in his bedroom.... :-?
  • LizONeal said:

Hey Martin....I want to know how you did your lighting! You looked like a pro at this stuff and the rest of us looked all washed out! @David_Quinn_Carder, I started out using my ipad and it said it was not able to do the hangout. I finally got on with my laptop but it has Windows 8 and had to go in through the desktop mode vs app mode. Just fyi for the next one that ipads may not work and Windows 8 requires some downloads first and go through the desktop mode.

Lizzzzzzzzzzz...
    :(( I was on my iPhone :((

Yea Martin's lighting was way cool :D
    Martin_J_Crane
  • What kind of problem did you have with using your iphone Mavis? Did you get some kind of message?
  • My wife and I were out of the house tonight and had to miss the live broadcast....looking forward to the replay. I assume David will post when it's ready.
    edited February 2013
    Gary said:

My wife and I were out of the house tonight and had to miss the live broadcast....looking forward to the replay. I assume David will post when it's ready.

It goes up immediately. Here's the link: youtu.be/AVkSu3R6a38

It's also available on the Google+ page.
    Gary
  • edited February 2013
    Never Liz there was only the message that said "Draw Mix Paint added me" Or maybe I didn't add the "Draw Mix Paint" properly... Bad mixing.. Hahahahaha!
    LizONeal
    edited February 2013
    iPads and iPhones work, we just need to get some instructions to follow posted. I've had Hangout issues with them before but they're always easily solved problems.
    mavis_swt
  • Mark

Congrats on the session. Worked well. You guys did a great job on being able to mute Liz's mic.

Denis
    Mark_CarderLizONealGarymavis_swt
  • So I am thinking about having a Hangout like this every Friday night. We will pick a topic, and keep it short, say about thirty minutes or less.

Same group, new group; in the future I can just schedule it for a specific time, then just open it up to the first four or five to join. Everyone else can watch live or later.

Sound good?
    Garymavis_swt
  • It will be the highlight of my Friday night. Unless, of course, they put Crown of Thrones on at that time.
    Mark_Carder
  • Thanks all...this was Great...really enjoyed watching and listening to everyone live L-) I
    However...it was the first time I've ever seen LIZ speechless :-O

Looking forward to next Friday and another topic...
    LizONeal
  • I watched it live after I was able to get it working. It was fun to watch.
    mavis_swt
  • I watched and enjoyed it, but it seemed a little short to me.
    [Deleted User]Mark_Carder
  • edited February 2013

So I am thinking about having a Hangout like this every Friday night. We will pick a topic, and keep it short, say about thirty minutes or less.

Same group, new group; in the future I can just schedule it for a specific time, then just open it up to the first four or five to join. Everyone else can watch live or later.

Sound good?

That's cool :) I'm living in the future 13hrs to be exact :D

Could we then have a review session? So people can comment a bit after watching the hangout on the forum.

Err.. Actually this is sort of the review X_X blur me.. [-O<
  • edited February 2013
    thank you Gary.

So I am thinking about having a Hangout like this every Friday night. We will pick a topic, and keep it short, say about thirty minutes or less.

Sound good?

sounds good to me. I enjoyed watching it. I may have to get a webcam.
    mavis_swt
  • I had the pleasure of seeing you on recorded ... I'm in bed with fever! :-&
    I understand when you refer to "taste", the painting is made of balance and recognize in me the tendency of "exceed" ... it was very interesting .... =D>
    What a pity Liz! :(
    Maria
  • That was a lot of fun. Feel better Maria.
  • edward said:

I watched and enjoyed it, but it seemed a little short to me.

Agreed, I think Mark must have had less time available than he would have liked. The next one will not be cut so short.
  • edward said:

I watched and enjoyed it, but it seemed a little short to me.

Glad you said that because when I rewatched it I thought it dragged on. Well actually I thought the beginning was not as good as the end, so maybe we just need a bit of time to get going... Or maybe because this was the first I was a bit off getting started.

Now that I know how it all works I will feel more comfortable in the future.

I think we should aim for thirty minutes or less, but if it is REALLY going well, we may go beyond that a bit.

I like having one topic per Hangout, that seemed to work well. And after we do about fifty of these, it will be nice to put them all in one spot for people to browse the topic of their choice.

By keeping it to thirty minutes, it will make it easier for me and everyone else and I think will promote staying on topic and concise discussion.

mavis_swtstudioaniaGary
  • So Mark I take it you are the moderator on the hang out. It seemed to me like the participants were eager to say more. I also enjoyed your stories of how you put the paint up to your mom's arm, etc. Another thing I was wondering... since there are only a few people allowed per hang out, would it be possible for there to be a chat thingy for people to ask a question or post a comment to the moderator for the hang out group to discuss?
    mavis_swt
  • So Mark I take it you are the moderator on the hang out. It seemed to me like the participants were eager to say more. I also enjoyed your stories of how you put the paint up to your mom's arm, etc. Another thing I was wondering... since there are only a few people allowed per hang out, would it be possible for there to be a chat thingy for people to ask a question or post a comment to the moderator for the hang out group to discuss?

Egggactly Sue!! Agree agree agree!! ^^ but I think we'll need a high techie person to make this happen.. Hangout + Live Chat Discussion.
  • mavis maybe David will do it, or I'm sure there is a group thingy chat thing on Google. and kudos to you for being there at 2 a.m. or whatever the hell time it was for you.
    mavis_swtMark_Carder
  • Next time we won't have such a tight time limit so everyone can really hangout and say all they want to say without pressure. Also, yes, there is a way to submit comments live, but I didn't want to complicate things for the first one. There are pros and cons to it though. Will discuss it with Mark and let you know.
    mavis_swt
  • edited February 2013

kudos to you for being there at 2 a.m. or whatever the hell time it was for you.

Sue I woke at 5-6am to try not to show my just woke up moment hahaha!! It happened at my 8am i miscalculated the time and wake too early... Then there was some problems so in the end I watched the Hangout and went back to sleep...

:D no sleepy faces~

And it's 2am here now. :p I should sleep I-)
  • okay thank you. Here is another thought. Let's say Mark had a half hour time limit and others wanted to keep the discussion going. Could Mark as the moderator leave and can the hang out keep going if people wanted to talk more?
  • I do know you can do that Sue, I chatted with Garry after the session. As soon as Mark ended the live part the mute was off on my microphone .....kinda fishy don't ya think? /:)
    sue_deutscher
  • okay thank you. Here is another thought. Let's say Mark had a half hour time limit and others wanted to keep the discussion going. Could Mark as the moderator leave and can the hang out keep going if people wanted to talk more?

They can continue to talk but the recording ends when the moderator ends it or leaves. Anyone who wants to do their own Hangout On Air can though.
    sue_deutscher
  • I really enjoyed it ... good job done by all. I would like to see the participants rotate .. we have a lot of interesting people here and it would be a good way for us to get to know one another more intimately. ;;)
    studioaniaMark_CarderGaryLizONeal
  • I really enjoyed it ... good job done by all. I would like to see the participants rotate .. we have a lot of interesting people here and it would be a good way for us to get to know one another more intimately. ;;)

The easiest way to do this, will be to simply say what time the Hangout will start, then I will make it so anyone can join, no invite needed. If you really want to get in I don't think it will be that hard. I'll keep Liz on stand by in case no one shows :)

Next Friday's Hangout will start at the same time (7pm NY time), but I will move the starting time around so others in different time zones can participate easier.