Oil and Acrylic? Stain.

Hi there my name is Sheldon.  I am committed to taking the full draw mix paint online course.  So far it has been a very interesting and exciting journey.  My question is do the basic principles transfer over to acrylic paints since I have already bought all my acrylic paints and at the moment do not want to switch to oil at the moment.  Also why and how do you stain your canvas with the light brown and also what are you using for your pre drawin, it looks like chalk but I'm not sure.  Thanks!

Comments

• SheldonParry

Welcome to the Forum.

My question is do the basic principles transfer over to acrylic paints

Also why and how do you stain your canvas with the light brown

what are you using for your pre drawin, it looks like chalk but I'm not sure. 

Acrylics dry too quickly, the value darkens as it dries, pigment loading is less, lacks body, 

Staining allows the eye to appreciate the true value of applied paint, cuts glare, provides a provisional background, can be partly visible in finished work, eliminates pinhole lights etc.

Mark recommends "SoHo Urban Artists Colored Pencils (I like their Naples Yellow Light pencil) is ideal for penciling on stained canvas."

Denis

• Do I stain the canvas after I apply Gesso?

• SheldonParry

Prestretched and roll canvas is usually pre gesso'd at the factory, so staining is all that's required.
    Some artists want a very smooth surface and will multi coat and sandpaper as additional preparation.

Denis

• Thanks alot!  I love this forum.
    dencalFlatty