Private Portrait lessons Mark Carder, only 3 weeks Sweden-Austin!

edited November 2016 in General Discussion
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Sounds great! Good luck Candora!! :)
    [Deleted User]
  • edited November 2016
    Kaustav
  • I think people here do know who Mark is, but there are a lot of threads of Mark's teachings with the colour checking, mixing, step method, etc.. I'm not sure what else you would like to be discussed?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited November 2016
    I felt the same way in the beginning.  I thought this forum was for the Mark Carder method of painting exclusively and was always being sidetracked when I came across other methods and techniques of painting realism, some of which I had already become acquainted with.  This open forum made it more difficult for me to stay on track.  So, I agree with @Candora.  Since the beginning though, I've made the adjustment, but secretly, I would still love to see an exclusive forum where only Mark's method is discussed--especially for the beginners.  What we have, instead, is truly remarkable: Mark's creations of the Q&A Show Episodes, The Full Course, Downloadable Videos, All My Free Videos,  the Painting Demos sections, and the occasional input on the forum from Mark and David Carder and other members who are trying to learn the Carder Method of painting realism.  The forum today, as it is, is a delightful smorgasbord of painters painting all sorts of realism.  Love it!   
    dencalFlattyBoudicca
  • SummerSummer -
    edited November 2016
    Maybe there could be a new "Category" in the category section called Mark's Method???  Especially for newcomers who are trying to get their bearings on the forum pages.  I notice that, we, as members, are frequently having to re-direct questions so it's not as obvious as we think it is or would like it to be that answers are in another section.  It may just be the difference between whether a shy newcomer to forums and the internet in general stays or not.  :)   Even a mention somewhere on the forum page to newcomers showing what this forum is and is not.  Example: A Forum Where All Representational Styles are Discussed.   Just saying.   :)
    davidwwilson
  • Folks

Artists have a greater propensity than the general population to listen to and be guided by their inner voice. Trying to regulate and confine the Forum to a particular style or technique is akin to herding cats.

Mark has on many occasions said that the PD and color checker is provided as a set of tools along with a technique that he intends to act as a set of training wheels until your eye is in. After this your direction and style is up to you.

i think I can speak for the majority of the folks here that we are in awe of Mark's generosity, treaching skill and his love of art and representative realism. 

Personally speaking everything I do in art is fundamentally influenced by Mark' s teaching. I love getting a fix of his new material and rewatch the basic stuff from time to time.

There may be some benefit in partitioning the Forum to suit special interest groups. However often the Forum falls into a quiet spell and the twenty to thirty regulars dwindle to about ten. My concern is more for the newbies who ask a question or post a painting that gets ten to twenty views and no replies.

The DMP Forum is a broad church with a great group of people willing to help and advise anyone who asks. I think Mark made a conciousness decision when he renamed the Carder Forum and the Carder Method to Draw Mix Paint, perhaps to refocus the effort to that of the individual and to reduce dependency and  focus on Mark's style. Please correct me if I have misread the intent.

In short I think there is plenty of guidance and advice, well organised on 

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/

Candora is a relatively new member, unfamiliar with the Forum history and infused with all the enthusiasm of a new convert. 

I greatly appreciate the the diversity and energy of the DMP folks, whether Carderites or not.

Denis

michalis
  • SummerSummer -
    edited November 2016
    Afterthought: A forum where many representational styles are under discussion.
  •   Summer I agree with you And Candora. It would be most beneficial to have a category for MC method followers and other novices. I have only been coming to the forum for a few months and as you and Candora, I was expecting what you were. But I have learned so much in that short time from the other artists (learning quickly that many were accomplished artists and professionals) But they came here to learn from other artists as well. So DMP/MC followers and novices let's be sure that when we start a discussion that we state that we're here for DMP/MC so others may respond in that context. But don't forget that Mark's method is a way to learn how to paint and at some point all of us novices are going to be accomplished artists developing our own styles and methods.

FlattySummer
  • edited November 2016
  • Yikes!! Talk about the blind leading the blind. This is only one section of the Artist's Forum and is titled General Discussion for a reason. It is for "General" comments and discussions. there are several other sections such as Post Your Paintings, Drawing, etc., etc. that are more specific, but again not necessarily directed at the MC method. I don't know how this  page appears to all of you, but at the top of this page on my computer is a tab titled Videos and Tutorials. If you click on that it takes you to all of Mark's lessons, videos and other materials where you can learn everything about the MC method. There is even a tab labeled About Me which will introduce you to Mark. It only takes a little time and curiosity to navigate the complete site and learn everything possible about the MC method. Good Luck
    Flatty
  • edited November 2016
  • edited November 2016
    I also feel the same @Candora. DMP method is sort of vanished from this forum. A lot of people are just doing whatever they like without following the method.
    [Deleted User]
  • edited November 2016
    Kaustav
  • edited December 2016
    Thank you, all the best!
    davidwwilson
  • You can successfully use parts of Mark's teachings from another approach as well though, such as the use of colour checking, or colour mixing with the 5 paints :)
  • davidwwilson " I do not apply Mark's teachings" Hey David there are lots of folks benefiting from this forum. Some like me are novices just learning and finding DMP method a sensible enjoyable way to learn. The forum is an extension of Mark's Generosity where DMP followers can get advice and also expand their art knowledge from guys like you and the other artists who have already developed their own styles. You're one of my favorite contributors and you definitely have your own style.