GICLEES

"hope I spelled that right"....anyway...do any of you use mail order or online service to get really good quality giclees made?

appreciate any help you can give...thanks!

Comments

• Ask to @Sue :-c she sells giclees! $-)
  • oh no, I don't sell giclees. I have a large format printer that I use when I sell a print, and the best paper I can buy, HP premium plus. I also mat the prints.
  • I have had Giclee's made, but use a local company. I would not recommend a mail order outfit for the simple reason you will not get to sit down with the people doing the giclee' and proof it. There is a lot more than just taking a picture and printing it on paper or canvas with a large format printer. First and foremost, there is color correction. There are little things in the painting that often need correcting on the print image. There are a number of things that need doing, not to mention the high resolution photography that needs to be done so the corrections can be made. I would go to a local company where you can sit down with them and watch the entire process and make corrections with the tech and then see the artist proof's and before the final for sale giclee is printed. We are fortunate here in my area to have two excellent companies doing this work and their techs are incredible and work with the artist one on one very well to get the giclee as close to the original as is possible.
    Take a look at this website, It can show you just about everything you would ever want to know about giclee printing. This is one of the companies I have worked with on giclee's. They took an 12x18 painting of mine and blew it up to a 24x36 and it looked perfect! You would never have guessed the original was a small painting! It cost me no more than a regular giclee and their prices are very reasonable.
    http://www.centuryeditions.com/
    GarySusieQtjs
  • edited February 2013
    AZPainter....I do get to the Phoenix area occasionally....this looks like just what I am looking for...how long does it take from start to finish to complete a giclee?

Thanks for sharing this info...being that I've never had a giclee made before...I didn't realize you have to work with the people making it and make color corrections...and also a surprise that you can blow up a small piece of artwork and have quality...amazing!
  • I would hate to give you a length of time since I have no control over that. It depends on how many orders are ahead of new work, I suppose. Being that I live here I drop it off and they call me when they are ready for me to come over and "proof" it. Once a proof is done then it is a day and a few times, I've sat there and watched it print. Now if Century Editions needs longer than you need it, I know another one man operation who does a lot of giclee's for top artist, including myself who can turn one around in a matter of 2 or 3 days maximum. He is actually semi retired do to health issue but has all the equipment and does beautiful work and may even be less expensive than Century editions. I can't say because there are a lot of variables. Like would you want it on canvas or paper, the size of the image, etc. But both Century and AR3 are close to the same prices and their prices tend to be less than most, including mail order printers that guess at what you want and you do not get to proof your giclee. I can get you Bob's number and email if you decide to use him. Bob uses the same materials as Century and is one of the best art photographers I have ever seen or used. Drop me a line through my website if you need his number and email.
    www.johncoxfineart.com
    tjs
  • tjstjs -
    edited March 2013
    Excellent advice John :) There is a big difference between our desktop printers and a professional graphics printer that these shops have. Plus our desktop printers the ink is not permanent.