Georgios Jacobides 1853-1932

Georgios Jacobides is one of my favourites Greek painters and I thought would be a good idea to share a couple of paintings with you. :) I also attach here a photo of his studio

KaustavPadamban

Comments

• Michalis

Have you ever seen an artist with easel painting in his best suit?
    Have you ever seen an artist painting on a canvas that is already framed?

Great work, love them all, but the first image is clearly a posed publicity photograph.

Thanks for posting.
    Kaustavmichalis
  • edited August 2016
    @dencal that was quite common in 19th century. I have a lot of photos of Artists' studios. All the 19th century artists were wearing best suits and patent leather shoes. Whereas all the 20th century ones were like freaks!  B)
    michalisjswartzart
  • Thanks @michalis for posting these pictures. These are very different from the boring French academic artists.
    michalis
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2016
    dencal said:
    Michalis

Have you ever seen an artist with easel painting in his best suit?
    Have you ever seen an artist painting on a canvas that is already framed?

Great work, love them all, but the first image is clearly a posed publicity photograph.

Thanks for posting.
    A studio like this really puts my studio into perspective--keeps me humble!  :'(

Excellent studio, paintings, and painter.  Love the paintings.  Compositions are captivating.  I'll bet he didn't have many hours of household chores to do before he arrived at his studio.  :/

As a matter of fact, I've seen artists in galleries touch up a spot or two of their works already framed, hung, and ready for sale over the years.  Don't know if they had permission from the gallery owner(s) though.  I've seen documentaries where this was being done in the salons of Paris.  Surprised me too.  Paintings must not have been varnished.   :o

In an earlier thread, last week, I suggested, tongue in cheek, that a member could paint on a canvas already framed and secured to a wall as an alternative to using an easel if the frame were masked off first.  I'll bet someone is doing it somewhere.   :p  

A real publicity photo but awesome just the same.   :)  
    michalis
  • David

I suspect this also could be a 'publicity' type shoot using frames to add to the impact. But where is the suit?

Denis

• @davidwwilson  Where do you find these things, David!!!  lol  It doesn't look like he even bothered to mask off the frames first!  Interesting fellow.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2016
    @davidwwilson - David.  Read your post with great interest.  I didn't know painters of this genre of art are still producing them to this extent.  I wonder if their day jobs have something to do with illustrating medical text books--in color.  Hmm.  Thought provoking to be sure.     
  • @davidwwilson  David, I don’t think artist’s of this genre need defending, at least not from any comments I may make or personal feelings I may have about these types of paintings.

I think that it is obvious that they deserve to be classified--if only for their uniqueness.

My comments speak more to why I chose not to go into medical school rather than any denigration of the paintings. The skill to create these paintings is undeniable and that is what I find intriguing about them. But the sad truth is that it is the enlightened and maybe even the unenlightened elite that ultimately decide their fate. 

If my vote mattered, or I were part of a committee to decide their fate, I would give them a thumbs up, but I would never have one in my home.  Summer