Can I make this colour ?

I've recently started using Geneva paints but when I try to get a vibrant colour like this , I'm stuck. 
Should I mix in some other colours with it ? Please help ! 

Comments

• You can use rose madder or magenta for this. But check if other colors such as darker reds can be mixed with limited palette. 
    BaxtersMom
  • Thank you Kaustav. 
    I was wondering if it's OK to mix some of my old oil paints on with the Geneva ones. 
    The limited palette is ok for most things but when it comes to the vibrant colours of flowers like geraniums, I just can't get that pop of colour. 
    I seem to end up with mud when I try ! 

• I use Geneva paints, but for this I'd have to use non-Geneva paints. Unfortunately there are some colors I just can't mix with the Geneva paints. (BTW, I'm no expert). Mark does mention in some of his videos that there are a few colors you can't mix. I've spent hours trying to mix certain greens and finally had to give up. But this happens rarely. Yes, you can mix in any other oil paint. I add a bit of medium too to get the right consistency. I do love the Geneva paints and wish they'd add a veridian (or possibly the turquoise blue  & green) and a magenta.Then I think every color could be mixed.

• edited July 2016
    Hilary said:
    Thank you Kaustav. 
    I was wondering if it's OK to mix some of my old oil paints on with the Geneva ones. 
    The limited palette is ok for most things but when it comes to the vibrant colours of flowers like geraniums, I just can't get that pop of colour. 
    I seem to end up with mud when I try ! 

It has been confirmed in a lot of Mark's videos that you can mix other oil paints with Geneva as it is also a regular oil paint. But make sure not to use water mixable ones.
  • Thank you both !! 
    That's a relief. 
     I love the Geneva paints , but some colours not possible to make. 
  • Yes I agree that you'll need another colour for this. Mark is planning to offer a few more 'power' colours.
  • The Benefits of a Limited Palette for Oil Painting:
  • Magenta. This is a handy reference: http://www.artiscreation.com/Color_index_names.html#.V5s0zcW3O5M

I have mixed water mixable and regular oil paint many times. No problem.

Also, I'm no expert, but, you may try a different white other than Titanium for mixing bright colors. So far I have mixed any color Ive needed with mark carders palette, along with magenta, and phtalo blue/green shade. I have attached a small painting of a beach couple that had clothes that were glowing in the late afternoon sun for example. This was done with those colors I mentioned. Hope I help in some way.

[Deleted User]NanaBeanSummer
  • Bloody hell that's bright!
    Excuse my language.
    Isn't that photo overexposed Hilary?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you so much for all the advice and help. 
    Yes , the photo IS overexposed but in reality those flowers are pretty vibrant. My favourite colour is that bright pink / purple colour. I just can't seem to get it dead on. 
    By the way , this is absolutely not a criticism of the Geneva paints which I absolutely love. Everything about them. 
    Any other colours which you product in future , Mark , I will be the first in line to order them. 
    I have already recommended Geneva paints to many of my artist friends. 

• @ Hilary, you already have Geneva titanium white, use it. @some You can use any white you like as long as you don't mix it with the slow dry medium, then it turns to chewing gum, and hardens overnight. I think that you could have the same problem if you mixed another white with , for, example ultramarine that had been mixed with slow dry medium. There are a few threads on here on the subject. @dencal what's your advice here on using other whites with Geneva or with other paints that have been pre mixed with SDM ?

• marieb

Geneva is not available in Australia. However, Geneva should be compatible with any other brand, whether mixed with SDM or not. Any white mixes well with SDM on the palette, it can't be stored for any length of time. I haven't tried Mark's white SDM formula as I use water mixable TW with SDM, which is not affected by the hardening problem.

Denis

marieb