Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Why is my burnt umber and slow-dry medium lumpy?

edited April 2016 in Studio & Supplies
Hello all y'all!

I'm learning to oil paint using Mark's methods and recipes. Today I began to mix my slow-dry medium with my Windsor and Newton Winton oil paints. I read on the supply page that for Burnt Umber, one must put in 3 tsp of clove oil (for 37ml of paint) to help it last longer before drying, in addition to the slow-dry medium. I did so, and unlike my other paints, the mixture became lumpy and after 30 minutes of trying to mix the ingredients, I still was unable to work out the lumps. I'm worrying I may have put too much clove oil in there.

Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

- Kari

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited April 2016
    Karisean

Welcome to DMP Forum.

No experience with Winton to rely on. Winton has more fillers, less pigment.

First suggestion. Leave it sealed up in a small, airtight container for at least 24 hrs. Try mixing again.

Second. Remove the recalcitrant lumps by sieving through a tea strainer. Try mashing the lumps with a palette knife.

Third. If mixture now too thin, add more tube paint, else if too thick drop by drop SDM.

Fourth. Buy a W&N Artists Oil burnt umber. (Not expensive).

Good luck. Let us know how you go.

Denis

Karisean
  • Thanks for all your responses, Kingston, Flatty, davidwwilson, and dencal! I left the mix to settle for 24 hours, but it still had tiny lumps. I added more SDM and it seemed to eliminate most of the lumps. It isn't as smooth as my 4 other colors, but it'll do for now.

I bought the big 200ml Winton tubes, so I'll wait until I'm done with these before I buy the artist oils. :)
  • I also tried the SDM with Winton. The winton kept requiring more SDM. For fear of running out of SDM, I simply bought Artists' grade paint. Artists' grade thins quicker to my relief.