Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Brush Dip

The brush dip seems like a great product. I can;t tell you how badly the mineral spirits, water, and soap has destroyed my brushes - they are stiff and damaged... plus it takes me like an hour to clean all my brushes after every session, which deters me from painting during the week, as i come home tired after a long day at work in my day job... this dip will ensure that i paint for an hour or so each evening... without needing to stand for an hour trying to clean my brushes... 

I want to buy the dip and the brush rack... thought about ordering the deformed ones, but afraid they are so deformed that its just a bad product, although the site says its very minal defect. I figure if i try making it on my own it will probably come out more deformed than the ones being sold :) either way, 80 dollars is totally worth it, as it is something that will last a lifetime... so, i think its a good investment regardless. 

Mark Alexander
Mark_CarderKaustav

Comments

• I purchased both the brush dip and brush holder a couple of months ago and have intended on posting before now.  They are both excellent products!  I had  A LOT of brushes that had been left around the house (depending on what distraction was going on at the time).  I soaked them in the brush dip for a couple of days and, with a couple of exceptions, the brushes became supple again.  The elevated design of the holder saves  table space.  Very Ingenious!!!  Thanks, Mark.  They are both great products!
    SummerMark_Carder
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited March 2016
    I want to buy the dip and the brush rack... thought about ordering the deformed ones, but afraid they are so deformed that its just a bad product
    The issues with the "minor defect" brush holders are very small and purely cosmetic. Basically when we make them, every 20th one or so will end up with some small cosmetic flaw which although very small it means we can not sell them at full price. There are actually none available currently, and it may be a while before we have any in stock.
  • I made my own brush dip from Mark's recipe-what a time saver. I use maybe 20 brushes on a painting so this saves me heaps of time. I also try to keep a couple of brushes for blacks and a couple for very light colours, which works really well -until I get caught up in the heat of the painting moment. I use hog hair, sable and synthetics and the dip works with all of them
    Mark_Carder
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 2016
    Boudicca said:
    I also try to keep a couple of brushes for blacks and a couple for very light colours, which works really well -until I get caught up in the heat of the painting moment.
    I know what you mean about getting caught up in the heat of the painting moment and the designated brushes for blacks are suddenly contaminated!  I have resorted to sharpening the ends of those brushes,  designated for black paints only, in a pencil sharpener and the exposed tips of raw wood are enough to catch my eye to keep it from ever happening again.  However, now I have to be careful not to poke my eyes out!  We can't win sometimes!  :)
  • Is the brush dip different from the slow dry medium? If so, can we still use it as a general slow drying medium?
  • EricV said:
    Is the brush dip different from the slow dry medium? If so, can we still use it as a general slow drying medium?
    Brush dip is safflower oil and clove oil. "Slow-dry medium" is mineral spirits, stand oil, linseed oil, venice turpentine, and clove oil. 

Mark does not recommend using safflower oil as (or in part of) a medium, so I would suggest using the brush dip as brush dip, not as medium. If you want a slow-dry medium for non-Geneva paints, use the recipes and instructions here: http://www.drawmixpaint.com/supplylist/international.html#recipe
  • Forum, 
        I bought both the art dip and the brush rack - amazing products... I dipped my brushes a few days ago and went away for the weekend, came back and the brushes were perfectly wet - and conditioned to boot! This saves me soo much time, now that I don't have to clean my brushes after every session, I now have time to work on my art after my day job... this just saved me so much time! Thank you Mark!
    Boudicca[Deleted User]
  • Summer said:
    Boudicca said:
    I also try to keep a couple of brushes for blacks and a couple for very light colours, which works really well -until I get caught up in the heat of the painting moment.
    I know what you mean about getting caught up in the heat of the painting moment and the designated brushes for blacks are suddenly contaminated!  I have resorted to sharpening the ends of those brushes,  designated for black paints only, in a pencil sharpener and the exposed tips of raw wood are enough to catch my eye to keep it from ever happening again.  However, now I have to be careful not to poke my eyes out!  We can't win sometimes!  :)
    Well Summer, that clears up the mystery of what happened to Australian artist Peter Smeeth in this self portrait

Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 2016
    Actually, ROLOL (rolling over laughing out loud) better describes it!  Priceless!