Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

About drying - personal experience

edited February 2016 in Painting
About drying: My personal experience ... I use a mixture of cobalt drier (acting from the outside in) and Coutrai drier that works in reverse. I mix one part of cobalt + a part of Coutrai + eight parts of kerosene. I use a syringe. The mixture is not too fast. Dry well, enough to paint comfortably. Pure cobalt dry always in the brush. It's very strong . Often drove me crazy. The Carder's advice to passing a damp cloth with linseed oil to gives freshness on the dry canvas to making paint more comfortable and make it dump is smart ... I have two paintings with 35 years and I used the mix on both and I think I'll die before they deteriorate. I finish with Damar varnish gum after 1 month painted. The varnish makes the dark tones are defined and return the freshness that kerosene can take of the paint. Unvarnished paint put all dark tones at the same level. Sometimes I apply varnish between one session and another to guide me through the shadows. I used fan very much. The blown air helps a lot in canvas drying. Do not use the sun !!! It is Good for dry and bad for the paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It Deteriorates the dyes (changes the chemical characteristics increasing oxidation) mainly Vessie Green and Prussian blue, colors that naturally tend to darken with time ... note the brazilian paint "Caipiras Negaceando" by the spectacular Almeida Júnior (which together with João Baptista da Costa and Antônio Parreiras were considered "the great masters of the green") ... the greens , in this paint , were made with Prussian Blue (at the time - circa 1888 - had no chemical studies like today),  they´re almost black ... I saw it in the National Museum of Fine Arts (there is a study in the  Museu Paulista) Using this mix I doesn't note the difference in the end result or the longevity of the paint ... I hope I have contributed ... A hug and sorry about my english