Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Day 1, man was I ready to Paaaaiiiinnnnnttttt!

Did you know it gets really cold in basements this time of year? Space heater won't cut it kind of cold?
Did you know if you spill Ice tea on freshly painted floor with flat black acrylic house paint, the paint will peel?

After all this preparation, getting my color checker and proportional divider, medium added to paints,  man I was set,ready to go, ready to paint that first of many master pieces! Nope...uh, uh....freakin' lighting is sooooo important....I spent most of my first day of "paaaaiiinnntingggg" figuring out what was wrong with my lighting. I couldn't see the color on the color checker. After several trips to homey depot and WallMark (my wife calls it that, don't know why and I don't ask) it occurred to me to review the basic use of the color checker on DMP. Who'd a thought! I mean, I've seen Mark using the dern thing at least a 1000 times in just about every video I watch, I had it, man! I had it! Nope, not even close.  After reviewing the basics of color checker short clip I found out about "light balance"....light balance? Ok, it's clear I don't have enough light in my studio because I had to set my light box to very, very dim to get it to balance with the studio lighting. Also, It helps to use a 5000K light on the light box too...I don't know if that's right but it was the only way I could finally get the color checker to start working. Finally, should any studio lighting creep into the light box or should that be prevented? Seems like it should be prevented because it messes up my shadowing.

Lastly, while I sketched my objects in fair amount of detail, I really didn't pay much attention to the cloth back drop. Hey, it's a piece of cloth, no sweat, I'll just stick that in as I paint, couple of rough lines showing some locations, that's it right? Nope....I really ended up with a big mess. Note to self, draw the d*** background cloth next time!

Lastly (for real this time) I have the wrong brushes. I bought a whole pack of them suckers from Michael's art supply for $8.00! Wow! 8 bucks and I have this whole variety of 20 some odd brushes, cool! Nope....these were very stiff hairs, probably hog's hair stiff, they were the wrong shape and difficult to get the paint to work right.

After feeling like I wasted so much paint it brought a tear to me eye, that I completely screwed up my first canvas and that my ice tea peeled the paint on my studio floor, I called it a day. Man! Mark makes it looks so easy! That's what people say about my golf swing, so I can relate...Guess I'll pull out another canvas and start over, but I'm going to play with this one for a while, trying to get better at mixing paints (you know, you can run out of titanium white real fast when you're on the upswing of the learning curve!), using the color checker and fixing my lighting!

Like I said in my introduction...this is going to be a journey.....
dencalRonna

Comments

• Sounds like you're making progress though--just not as fast as you'd like.  Same here.  :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @George. So many things to learn and get right before we start painting. On the upside if you get fed up painting you could do well as a writer !
    FlattyRonna
  • OK, slept on it, re-evaluated what I've done so far, and it's not as bad as  I thought. The background can be fixed with the right brushes and I haven't really started on my main subjects yet...so...pressing onward. Now, if I could only find the right space heater, maybe 6 of 'em....hmmmm.

• I've actually thought about writing. I'm and audio booker so I listen to books all the time (Mark? audio book? just a thought. I know it's a  visual art, but just listening can be helpful, especially since you've recorded so many programs, just lift the audio tracks and ta!da! audio book!) I digress....if you think painting is hard, writing a good book, note "good" take a vast imagination and a lot of time and research. Frankly painting is easier and more instantly gratifying compared to writing. My problem would be creating dialogue...that to me is the hardest part. Creating conversations that are real and not cheezy....tough to do.

G.

dencalmarieb
  • George said: 
    I have the wrong brushes. I bought a whole pack of them suckers from Michael's art supply for $8.00! Wow! 8 bucks and I have this whole variety of 20 some odd brushes, cool! Nope....these were very stiff hairs, probably hog's hair stiff, they were the wrong shape and difficult to get the paint to work right.
    Highly dubious. You can't buy 20 genuine hog hair brushes for $8. Most likely nylon brushes.
    George
  • Now that you have the lighting fixed your masterpiece can now begin.  :3
    Flatty
  • Painting is all about struggles. It's kind of self defeating at times. We struggle so hard to just see flaws in the end. But keep faith that others see it differently. They see the end result of all our efforts without seeing the struggle.