Tombow Pen under oil

May one use a TOMBOW (acid free) BRUSH PEN under oil paints? Will it bleed?

Comments

• I'm wondering the same thing.  Glad you asked the question.  Do I feel a post from Denis coming on?  Hope so!
    somedencalmarieb
  • .@summer...or the Kingston Master...
    Summermarieb
  • Some and Summer

The TOMBOW (acid free) BRUSH PEN is designed to be water active, to bleed and form gradients and be similar in appearance to watercolor or like a solvent pen when desired. Like most of these things the tendency to mobilize with water will likely reduce over time, i.e. days and weeks.

I doubt that the oil paint and SDM will mobilize the pigment in the same way (I could be wrong, don't have a pen to try). I suspect that even if it does it will not materially influence the value or pigmentation of the overlying paint.

The mfrs webpage is delightfully free of anything technical, however it does warn that the pigments are prone to fading in bright light.

Denis

Summer
  • dencal said:
    Some and Summer

The TOMBOW (acid free) BRUSH PEN is designed to be water active, to bleed and form gradients and be similar in appearance to watercolor or like a solvent pen when desired. Like most of these things the tendency to mobilize with water will likely reduce over time, i.e. days and weeks.

I doubt that the oil paint and SDM will mobilize the pigment in the same way (I could be wrong, don't have a pen to try). I suspect that even if it does it will not materially influence the value or pigmentation of the overlying paint.

The mfrs webpage is delightfully free of anything technical, however it does warn that the pigments are prone to fading in bright light.

Denis

I'm guessing with Artisan paints it may or may not be a problem since their water-soluble. drawing it out and sealing it with a fixative may work??? Im dumb, thats why I ask..:). If I was not using water soluble, I would just use a sharpie and put Liquin over it and go for it. I know of a really good artist that does this for portrait painting. I thought I read that Rockwell did it too. my concern is ws paints. 
    Summer
  • Thank you Denis and some.  Looks like I have more experimenting to do.  :)
  • @Summer ... its a no-go with the Tombow pen. 
    Summer