Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Take a shot at this one.

This was done in tinted charcoal. A fancy word for pastel I think. But the colors are muted.
I have already fixed the perspective problem on the back corner of the box. I wanted this to look like it was outside, in the sunshine. It's called " Sometimes the Tiger Wins..." It's about when all the wealthy British went Tiger hunting in India. Before only the Prince of India could hunt tiger. The British and Dutch nearly made the tigers extinct. They hunted them on elephants, (mostly hearded them). The tigers didn't have a chance. This is suppose to be in camp. The tiger approaches. I did the objects from life. (no pet tiger though) I am not satisfied with the drawing yet. Give me some ideas good people.......
dencalrgredwardSummer[Deleted User]davemarRonMikeO

Comments

• PennyM

Outstanding work!

Wood, fur and metal textures excellent and there seems to be a slightly shabby aged patina, apposite to the theme, well done!

To increase the depth and drama a raking, or at least directional light with shadows and highlights to simulate a sunlit still life. Looks like very flat lighting at present with a weak diffused overhead light. Where's the sunshine?

To bring the objects forward recede the backdrop (tent wall) in value.

When you mention the box perspective fix, do you mean the missing rhs back corner?

The skin is a bit medium shaggy dog like, rather than tiger. It is small with bland markings. Or does this emphasize the faded futility of killing tigers?

Denis

davemar
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 2015
    PennyM You are oh so ready for oil painting. <3 But I can see why you don't want to stop drawing for painting. You draw so exceptionally well. With this one, I love the story that goes with it. And that you thought to put the reflections of the tigers into the story is remarkable (imagination). I'm sure that I could find more good things to say about it if I studied it more.

Here is a quote by Rick Brettell, Art Critic, that I think shows how drawing can dovetail into painting. “Edward Hopper was meticulous in his preparations for painting, making several drawings before beginning the painting process.” I don't know if this would be your method, however. Just thinking. Summer
  • Dencal, thanks for the input. I had some of the same thoughts. Yes on the back right corner. This is what happens when you try to simulate something and use your imagination. Creating a reflection of a tiger in the silver was crazy. I used a flat image to reflect. One I observed how is was distorted I took the image to computer and distorted it and then put it in. But it still is flat. Some of the shagginess is grainy photo. I should have used better source for the tiger. It was an interesting challenge anyways.

Summer, Thanks again for the encouragement. I know, I know.... paint.... paint....paint. Soon, getting my materials together...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited September 2015
    I think the reason it doesn't look like it's in sunlight is like @dencal said, it needs shadows for contrast. When working in the limited range of black to white, brightness comes from contrast. A painting of a setting sun can look "brighter" than a mostly white piece of artwork, because the sun/sky is put in contrast to a dark foreground. Contrast is everything. Same goes with colors. You can have a muted painting with one intense color in it, and that color can look more intense than an even more intense color in a painting where everything is oversaturated.

EDIT: Actually, just remember the work you posted of the old cars. That's a good example of the shadows making the scene look like it's in bright direct sunlight.

Anyway, I really like this one anyway. I can appreciate the technical skill that goes into well executed still lifes, but they're not really my thing subjectively. But this one tells a story, makes you think, gets your imagination going.

Also, it has a tiger in it.
  • edited September 2015
    I really like your work, it has a great story ! I was reminded of Death In the Tall Grass by Mr. Chapstick, one of my favorite books.
    Such great detail here !
    I agree with David C.- the light source looks very diffuse. Maybe the intensity of shadow in the fore ground could be increased, especially under the ledge of the table (or shelf ?)
    The highlights on those fantastic binoculars! - maybe they should be aligned vertically, because the light source will be more defined with the other idea I gave.
    That said, I wish I could have done a drawing like that. Very nice!
    Dave
  • Such great work, I just can't see any failure if you decide to try painting in oils or any other medium!
  • The aforementioned comments and suggestions are all valid and helpful, but, If I were there, I'd take this away from you to keep you from making any changes whatsoever. It's already in the "perfect" range. Just thinking, again. :)
  • Sure Summer would take away the work so the drawings are his or hers alone! Said with a smile!
    Summer
  • I'll help Summer because I also think it's awesome!
    Summer
  • That's a good point david. The car painting was photographed in the sun. However the still life was inside. I tried taking the silver outside and photographed. The whole thing was a composite of ideas. Thank you Summer, Ron, Ronna, Dave.