Matching colors on a computer screen

Hello all. I've been working a still life I set up and took with my camera. I decided to use a photo instead since I had it set up at a location my easle couldn't go. Anyway I found an easy way to match colors on a computer screen. If you have an old laptop or a monitor with good resolution, you can Dabb paint right on the screen to match it up. Since its glass and marks paints are fluid like, it rubs off easy. In the photo you can see where I marked the screen with the color I wanted to match and if your screen is set up where you can see a consistent angle then you'll see the color disappear right on screen as you have a good or close enough match. You can also adjust your images in an image editor in relation to your viewing angle. Important note. I do have on all black clothes, low light environment and a black curtain behind me to eliminate some of the reflections. I hope this helps someone who is painting from a computer screen
Rosanne

Comments

• correct. Using a photo editor to adjust the levels and contrast it works good for me. The picture looks a lot worse than in person due to me using a camera to take a picture of the screen
  • Being a photoshop guy yourself you know the power it holds to pull tricks off. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't recommend this to someone, but I've thought about it before and it should work. You'd want to:
    1. Make sure your lighting is consistent (do not move lights or monitor, or at least set up an exact position and settings for both to use for the duration of a painting, and make sure monitor brightness isn't dynamic and doesn't get changed)
    2. Adjust both your studio light and your monitor/image so that black (RGB = 000000 or 0/0/0) matches your black paint and white (RGB = FFFFFF or 255/255/255) matches your white paint… I would do this in the Curves tool with a separate image that has a black square and a white square to sample, then write down the input/output numbers from Curves and apply that to the image you want to match colors from
    3. Always have your head in the same position when looking at the monitor (applicable here, unlike with photos where this doesn't matter)
    Again, I wouldn't do this, and I haven't thought it through extensively and there are probably good reasons not to do this, but technically I think one could check colors this way and get consistent usable results provided they do all of the above.

Let's see the painting and digital reference photo when you're done.
    DJ_NineRosanneRon
  • Thanks David for the advice, it was really helpful, I will post it when done. I did print the image out and it looked gorgeous but I ran out of ink halfway through. I hope it turns out well
  • Hi DJ was wondering how your painting turned out?
  • edited May 23
    This thread is 7 years old. Did you join just to resurrect it in order to place SPAM?

Will someone else please flag this. 
  • Thanks. SPAM gone.  :)
    Richard_P