My Studio Lighting

Hello everyone. For those of you in the throes of developing a painting studio, here is the third item we've made for the studio using Mark's guidance--a light fixture. Daylight is really represented in the room with these bulbs. I have no complaints. We went with the Cree brand of 5000K LED bulbs. We've put on/off switches on the outer lights for when the room is used for other than painting. If you have any questions, please ask. If you have any suggestions on how we can make this better, please write. Yes, I know that the fixture is missing end caps, ha ha, we're going to make those tomorrow.
dencalMeganSRonnaEstherH[Deleted User]ebsrstall

Comments

• Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    Awesome!!! You may want to place a white "backboard" behind your lights to reflect the light back toward your easel. That will also keep the light of off the wall behind you as you sit at your easel.
    SummerSusan1870
  • Marten

Good news! But don't keep us in the dark, post a photo.

Denis
    Summer
  • @martenvisser I also hope that you will post a photo soon. The curved bar is interesting. And 5 lights? Wow!
  • OK got all set up, getting some glare, mainly at the top 1/2 -1/3 of my canvas,  my ceilings are low about 8 feet,  i have two CFL 5000k bulbs mounted overhead at 35 degrees-  due to how i had to mount them on the ceiling they are about 30 inches apart or 15 inches from the midline......but saw a reference in one discussion that they should be 3-4 feet from the midline (as in about 6-8 apart).  I can move each light out another 15 inches....I don't think the glare is due to anything coming from behind. I did paint my photo holder in semigloss but will rectify that. Any ideas? another possibility is that when the two lights are coming from the side that the angle isn't really 35 degrees any more but a little steeper if that makes sense, although I tried adjust for that and it didn't help. by the way, someone may like this idea for mounting lights, I painting of strips of wood that are 1 1/4 wide by 3/4' inch deep by 2/ 1/2 feet long that I screwed in to the studs in my ceiling that I located using thin finishing nails (stud finder didn't work for the textured ceiling_ These lights clamp on well and can be moved or taken down when not in use. 
  • Your studio is looking good and your space has great potential.  I think that Mark would prefer that you use plain hanging bulbs instead of the reflector sockets.  The wide angle of the lights might also be a problem.  And, I think that three-four bulbs would be more ideal.  If you make the angle of your lighting 35 degrees, that in itself should remove the glare from the top part of your painting.  Good idea about keeping surfaces flat black.  Just a few suggestion that you might try.   :)  
  • Thanks my bulbs are too bright..they are 20 watt equivalent 1300 lumen bulbs..maybe too bright, or maybe i need a longer drape behind me ..i lose the reflectors if i can figure out how to hang them otherwise! i will mess around with the angle..it was 35 degrees to the canvas not the front of the room....seems like moving them forward or back doesn't matter....i spaced them there based on other comment..keep you posted! Thanks Summer! Finally finished the palette storage box! Will post under that thread..out of projects time to paint!
  • rstallrstall -
    edited August 2016
    Wow somehow i missed that Summer!! That's awesome you made that lighting fixture!  Are they on dimmer switches, whats the watt equivalent on those (think your studio is similar in size to mine, and where'd you score those bulbs? .  and About how long is that? Ive learned that my guesses aren't all that great..

something like this model?

http://www.shineretrofits.com/cree-a21-100w-50k-b1-18-watt-led-light-bulb-5000k.html?gclid=CNO_86bWqc4CFY9ffgodXS4MSw
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2016
    Hi @rstall.  We didn't use a dimmer switch but instead installed 2 of the sockets with an on/off switch.  We placed them on the ends for easy access.  Special LED dimmers are available from Home Depot, same place we bought the CREE LED bulbs.  The rating on each one is the light equivalent of a 100 watt regular bulb.  The standard aluminum bar measures 32 inches in length and is sold in 3' lengths at Ace and Home Depot.  End caps aren't really necessary in the event you can't find any.  Hope this helps.  Summer   
  • rstallrstall -
    edited August 2016
    Pretty much everything you say is a great help to me Summer!  The dimmers go in the wall switch i take it? My power is kinda weird as one wall switch controls things like the washer dryer as well but may work..ill check out the bulbs..i took another look at your original post  on Studio Completed and noticed you used foil or something behind your lights...kinda like Mark suggested. Where the existing overhead lamp is, the lights will be coming a bit over my left shoulder but perhaps i can make the fixture somewhat asymmetric without it crashing down on me. 

I have a more important and general question though..how much light do you need on your paintings , how bright is too bright and do you adjust the lighting based on what you are doing , my space may be a bit smaller with 8 foot ceilings so perhaps ill mess around with 80 watt equivalents or combo 

I assume have to adjust it a bit for any ambient lighting coming in through windows if there are any,drapes don't cut it all out. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 2016

@rstall

We selected an 84”X 52” Mylar reflector space blanket to hang from the wire that we attached to the aluminum bar because of its very light weight and reflective properties. Amazon sells them for under $5. This was a much better solution than crumpled aluminum foil or a white fabric, paper, or board which would have been heavier, less durable, and I doubt it would have even been available in the size we needed. We rigged a wire that mostly runs parallel to the aluminum bar and created a curtain-like rod pocket on one end of the blanket that slips over the wire.  It's just a folded edge of the blanket held in place with Scotch tape, making a pocket for the rod/wire.  We made the rod pocket along the long end of the fabric to allow for the fabric to extend onto the two sides that run perpendicular to the aluminum bar.  We trimmed the excess fabric hanging toward the floor using the tallest person in the household standing underneath as a guide so it would not be disturbed with future foot traffic.

About light fluctuations: I have some ambient light near the studio during the day and evening (daylight and incandescent) but even with that, I’ve never had to increase or decrease the light in the studio. Four 5000K bulbs have worked perfectly these many months and it turns out that I didn’t need the sockets with on/off switches after-all. I doubt that you will even need a dimmer. But if you decide to use one, they do go in the wall. Four bulbs looks perfect for your space because we not only have similar space, but we both have 8’ ceilings.

Hope this gives you more to go on. Summer  :)

• rstallrstall -
    edited August 2016
    Yeah I bought the aluminum rod,  the sockets,end caps,  some tools to thread the holes for the sockets, a dimmer and need to get one of those silver lamp bases at home depot, gotta figure out how to wire it up without electrocuting myself or starting a fire!  Think ill do some painting tonight! Its time!
    Summer