Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A New Member

SummerSummer -
edited April 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone, I'm a homemaker/housewife in southern Arizona US. I stumbled upon Mark Carder's website about three months ago and have been learning a lot from the videos. I don't have anything to contribute here as yet because my husband and I are still building a studio using Mark's and David's expertise. We have the proportional divider and color checker finished and are working on the 5000K lighting now. The Geneva easel is coming and my husband has sketched out a plan to build all the other pieces over the next few months. I could use some help selecting the refrigeration for the 14 x 24-inch glass palettes. Haven't got a clue about what brand, style, or size of refrigerator to get! I don't live in such exotic places as some of you here on this forum which I am reading about with great pleasure. I went through a five-year program earning a BFA at a private school in Cleveland, Ohio but haven't decided which area I want to spend the next 10,000 hours becoming “good” at. I double-majored in sculpture and painting but got my best grades in photography so I think that I am in the right place here with Mark, David, and all of you. My husband agrees. I can't imagine being as good as what I've seen here on this forum but I have to believe that I can when you say that it is possible with the right attitude. So with that in mind, I look forward to this journey with you. Summer
[Deleted User]CastillodencalEstherH

Comments

• Kingston, Thanks for the welcome. I studied at The Cleveland Institute of Art when they had a 5-year program. I believe they only offer a four-year program now.
  • Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like youre off to a great start, studio wise. Looking forward to future contributions.
    Summer
  • jcdr, Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I agree, "studio wise" that I'm so lucky to have a hubby who likes to build things. My sculpture training was mostly oxy-acetylene welding and bronze casting so I'm at ground level now learning wood shop building with him to get this studio together. I am amazed at how much preparation it's going to take to get to the painting.
    jcdr
  • Welcome to DMP Summer, you're going to like it here!

About not having something to contribute, trust me when I say that having a fresh pair of eyes to offer a different take on things is always a great contribution in my book.

And just like you I'm also at "ground level" at the moment as I'm learning about oxy-fuel equipment for jewelry purposes, mainly trying to figure out what would be the safest choice for a home environment without having to invest on something like a hydrogen torch.
    Summer
  • Castillo, Thanks for the welcome. About your jewelry making, I've never made any jewelry. I only created outdoor steel sculptures and had to use the large tanks. But we had a jewelry-making department where some fine pieces were produced. I remember pencil torches that were used that you could try that would be safe. And Ace sells smaller tanks of oxygen with MAPP gas that you could try. I've seen the hydrogen torch unit you included in this post--and the price! In a perfect world, yes? Good luck.
  • Summer, it is possible!! :) Just follow Mark's method and you will be amazed by what you can achieve. Welcome!

Summer
  • ZIM, Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the encouragement. Though I've seen some pretty intimidating paintings on this site. I like Mark's method because once you begin to paint you are free to do just that.
  • Mike0, Thank you for the welcome.
  • Hi summer I cannot welcome you in the forum as I am new here as well. But I know how exciting it is to put together a studio! Good luck for your start!
    Summer
  • EstherH, Thanks for reminding me how much fun I'm having putting together this studio with the help of my hubby, Mark, David, and encouragement from the people in this forum. I have seen your posted paintings and am truly amazed. By the way, all my people are from Switzerland. I simply love the work that you have posted.
    EstherH
  • rgr, Thank you for the welcome.
  • Welcome! I attended U of A and miss Tucson, especially in winter:)

I don't know if it's really that important to refrigerate your palette. I built an airtight palette box that will hold both of my pieces of glass. It has done a good job of keeping paint that has been mixed with SDM from drying out. It is designed to fit into our "back stock" refrigerator from Costco, but I've never done it. Also, I no longer premix paint and SDM in jars. It was a pain and a lot was wasted. I just mix on my palette.
    Summer
  • thebigskyguy, Thank you for the welcome and the information. I know what you mean about the weather here. Really appreciate your insight and experience about the refrigeration and premixing. I was hoping to avoid all the pre-mixing while painting. Hmm. I'm still connecting names with paintings so I hope to see your work soon.
  • Welcome to the forum Summer! Show us a picture of your studio once complete. We would love to see it.
    CastilloSummer
  • Ronna, Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad that you invited me to send pictures of the studio when it is complete. That will be later in the summer. I was wondering if I should post some of the pictures of the items beforehand. Has anyone else done this I wonder. Looking forward to seeing your work.
  • Kingston, That's right! From where you are, in Maine, it isn't "east." I'll have to globalize my thinking in this forum. Really glad you brought it to my attention. Ha ha.
  • Hi Summer,
    I live very East and it would be a month of Sundays before paint would dry here on the palette. I think it depends on how dry your air is and with SDM you may not require the fridge. Welcome and enjoy yourself !
    Summer
  • Hi bluenose, I used to live "very East" and paint there too so I know you're right about the humidity. We're at a very high altitude and it's extremely dry most of the year. I took the plunge earlier today and ordered a fridge but I had to compromise on the size of the glass palettes by a few inches. I figure it will hold plenty of beer and wine if it doesn't work out. Ha ha. This forum is amazing but I have a lot to learn about how it operates. I'm still making dumb mistakes. Thanks for the welcome.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited May 2015
    Summer

Of greater benefit than a fridge in keeping paint open:

Seal in small glass containers.
    Ensure airtight lids.
    Minimize airspace.
    Displace air with glass marbles.
    Store palette in Tupperware container, fill void with inert plastic and oxygen absorbing material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger
    Could try submerging palette in water.
    Store palette with cotton wad soaked in clove oil.
    Another idea is to fill the storage container with an inert gas (helium, nitrogen???) to displace the oxygen

Oxygen is the agent that polymerizes paint. A fridge will slow it down, but not by much.

My small glass airtight containers keeps paint useable for two years without a fridge in the hot Mediterranean climate of Western Australia. In fact it gets consumed, even at my slow pace, before it has a chance to harden.

So wheel in the beer and wine...

Denis

SummerGERARD61
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 2015
    Hi Denis (dencal), Ah, you live in one of those exotic places that intrigues me. A lot to take in here but I will consider every detail and appreciate that your experience is first-hand knowledge.
  • Welcome Summer! You can paint with the bare bones until the studio is finished. That's what I'm doing. We have the framing and sheathing up on my studio, but it's slow going. We just finished electrical and hopefully will get it sealed up before too many birds make it their home.

My current working space is in my living room. Mark's simple easel (the 20 dollar one.), his palette table, picture holder, a little cart that holds my paint brushes and a few jars of mediums and paint. All of it is over a small 5x7 rug that protects my wood floor. My lights are clamped to an old easel. It's my other stuff that takes up so much room! The laminator, the printer, the drawing table, the computer, and my copious amount of paper and support materials. Basically, what I'm saying is, start now! You can! It will also tell you exactly where you want stuff. I know that because I'm short, I should have made my picture holder shorter. And that I need a vent hood because my favorite varnish gives me a headache.

I did not plan for a refrigerator...except to house creamer for my coffee. I'm an anxious painter. I don't paint for long. Usually less than a week so that gives me plenty of working time.

You background will help you tremendously. I know that my background in graphic design (photoshop skills) and drawing helped me become the painter I am now. My photography skills are slowly improving. (Composition can ruin a perfectly executed painting.) So your skills will be an asset!

Both of our studios should be done about the same time. I'm crossing fingers...the flooring is my gig. So is the kitchenette and all the wall painting.
    Summer
  • Summer

Here is a travel blog showing some shots of Perth.
    http://www.asherworldturns.com/bucket-list-perth-australia/

Denis

Summer
  • Hello Denis (dencal), Thanks for the postcard pictures of Perth. You live in an area that is just breathtaking--especially with all that water. I don't know what I'd do if I met a kangaroo while walking on the beach. I'd like to find out, though. Ha ha.
  • Hi martenvisser, I sure hope that you're right. My last commission of a family of twelve people in one painting from photographs left me realizing that I needed help.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 2015
    Hi MeganS, Thank you for taking me on a tour of your studio. Or should I say "studios." The one you are using now and the one that you are creating. I feel privileged. I'm sure that your local art association will want your studio on their tour list. All that I can manage now is doing detailed studies of the features that will be in future paintings and getting boards and canvasses ready. And, oh, yes, PaintShop Pro X7. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • 12 people!!!! EEeeek! Makes me sweat thinking about it.
    Summer
  • Summer, yes, show pictures of your studio progress if you like. Others here have. Especially when you receive your new easel!
    Summer
  • Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the painting process. My 8 year old granddaughter is working on a still life using Mark's method and she is making amazing progress. I will post a photo of her painting as soon as I get the hang of this new computer. You will be all puffed up with your own consequence before long. Don't work so much that you don't have time to paint.
    Summer
  • Hello oilpainter1950, Thank you for the welcome. You are absolutely right about making the time to paint during our studio-building process. I have begun to practice Mark's "values first" approach in some sketches. It's encouraging knowing that Mark's method is also working for your granddaughter. I hope that you will post some of her work. Looking forward to it. Cheers!