Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hello from Switzerland!

edited November 2015 in Introduce Yourself
My name is Esther. I work in the health care system, mostly concerned about people’s head and what’s inside… ;)

I started to paint one year ago when I took Marks class in Austin. Since then I organized my studio, I am learning to take better pictures, to paint better and to find my preferences in subjects to paint... (which I find very difficult as I like so many different things). Thanks again to Mark and (very much as well) to David for everything!

Since November 2013 I read every single word in the forum and I used to give my opinion to most of your discussions, unfortunately (or fortunately, we will see…) only in my head. Now I decided to be part of the discussions because I was so happy to see Geneva paint finally on the market, even if I can not order it (yet...) over here.

But first of all, I mostly want to thank you all because I learned so much in this discussions and it has become a daily reward to read the new posts in this forum!

Here are two of my paintings ( / ). I told you that I have a hard time to find out what painting subjects I want to concentrate on. Until now I do (almost) everything… and I am not happy about that… I would be very interested to hear if you have passions on one or a few subjects or if there are others like me, lost in the endless choice …

fridge 40x40 inches oil (not GENEVA yet!) on wood board
rust 15x22 inches oil on masonite

[Deleted User]dencalCastilloRonnajrbgolfsrgrRosanneMikeO[Deleted User]bluenoseGERARD61AlbertosomeSummerKLBRonsminkalrautchetan

Comments

• Hey Esther! Nice to see you here!

I love the paintings, both of them. What's in the can on the bottom left of the fridge shelf? And is it normal in Switzerland for food products to come in what looks like paint tubes? :p
  • edited April 2015
    @David_Quinn_Carder Thank you David! The little red can is 'doppio concentrato di pomodoro' or tomato paste to make Spaghetti sauce (together with the blue ‘painting tube’ in the foreground which is paste of anchovies)... and yes! It is normal in Switzerland to eat out of paint tubes =) . They contain mayonnaise or mustard or sweetened milk and many other things… and the advantage is easy to be seen if you are hungry and in a hurry or if you are angry with somebody (I leave the rest to your imagination…) B)
  • Esther

Great paintings. Love 'Rust' .

Denis
  • AWESOME! I specially like the weathering on the bolts and the texture on those figs.
  • Rust is very good. Great colors, almost abstract until you really look at it closely. Excellent!
  • Hello Esther. I love your paintings. I think they are fantastic! The fridge painting is so good. Some really complicated items in there to paint. I can't wait to see future paintings. I understand what you mean about the endless choice of subjects or styles to paint. After a while you will start to narrow your likes down to certain styles or subjects. It took me a while but I realized that I like painting bright colors and in a loose style. You have two different styles above. Which one did you enjoy painting the most? Was it the first one which is a more loose style or the second one which is very detailed? Do a few more in the style you enjoyed most.
  • edited April 2015
    sorry about the size of the paintings... they are a bit large for a first entry :s. I will learn it soon...

@dencal Thank you for your comment!
    @Castillo Thank you! the figs were to me a one in a thousand moment... thank you for realizing it even with the small size!
    @stevek Thank you! I agree about the impression! My other 2 rust paintings look completely like abstracts... almost nothing recognizable anymore... but therefore they may be less interesting...
  • @Ronna Hi Ronna. Thank you for your thoughts. I hope I will narrow my subjects! Somehow I seem to think that the fewer the subjects the better (and more professional) it looks like... but I don't know if this is true or not... Good to know that time maybe will bring a smaller tunnel of possibilities. I enjoyed doing both of the paintings alike. This is the problem. By the way: Your 'Three Rubies' are awesome!
  • I can't take credit for Three Rubies. That belongs to Megan.
  • I love them both. Beautifully done and so interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • @Ronna I am sorry Ronna! I got that wrong but nevertheless I like watching the progress on your Sargent copy... hoping that it is going on well because it looks beautiful!
  • love both paintings but the detail in the food items is off the charts!
  • EstherH, welcome to the forum. Your paintings are fabulous!! Rust looks almost like watercolor. As for what to paint, I can't help you much. I want to paint practically everything I see!! Can't wait to see more of your work.
  • Love both of the paintings. They are so different. You look like you are a fast learner. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2015
    @rgr I liked to do the fridge because almost every day I had another subject with different colors to paint... so I did not get bored to work out all these details... thanks...

@ZIM thanks for your welcome. I am glad I am not the only one...

@Irishcajun Thank you! I guess my lack of patience makes me a faster learner on a big canvas ;)

@ERG Thank you for your welcome!
  • it's great to see you here in the forum Esther! Yes, I also want to see more! Both of these paintings are fantastic!

It is much better to have too many ideas than none at all :-)
  • @MikeO Thank you!

@Mark_Carder thank you for your welcome! 'going public' is quite a step... I am sure there will be more paintings to show...
    Mark_Carder
  • Welcome @EstherH - Very nice paintings- Great entrance!! =)
  • @jcdr Thank you. Nice to have your Welcome! ... I know... :/ I can hear the trumpets in the background each time those pictures load ...
    jcdr
  • I just discovered your paints here :3 but it is never to late to tell you that at first I thought "why did she put a picture of her fridge door, weird ?" and, when I zoomed in... Jesus! she painted it! Please tell me how you could paint the ticket of the rabbit? That"s amazing :o
    Summer
  • Yes, eating out of paint tubes is a bad idea. You should eat out of paint JARS.

dencalEstherHRonSummer
  • @Alberto Thanks a lot! You are right: It is never too late, I appreciate your coment! After the workshop in Austin I wanted to try out DMP on different techniques and subjects. With the 'fridge'-painting I tried to find out more about hyperrealism and it's definition in painting... this clean and smooth look which makes the difference to a picture of the same subject... I don't say I got near it, but I learned a lot... just painted what I saw one inch after the other. I went really really slow and matched colour the way Mark teaches it... So you see, no special brush or technique... just DMP in slow-motion...

@Ezra Lucky you! As we still don't get GENEVA paint in Europe, I have to put jelly on my bread! Looking at you, I can tell this special ultramarin jelly makes you quite happy B) !
  • @EstherH, you my lady, are a wonderful person and one terrific painter! Thanks for posting your thoughts and work.
    Summer
  • EstherH said:

@Alberto Thanks a lot! You are right: It is never too late, I appreciate your coment! After the workshop in Austin I wanted to try out DMP on different techniques and subjects. With the 'fridge'-painting I tried to find out more about hyperrealism and it's definition in painting... this clean and smooth look which makes the difference to a picture of the same subject... I don't say I got near it, but I learned a lot... just painted what I saw one inch after the other. I went really really slow and matched colour the way Mark teaches it... So you see, no special brush or technique... just DMP in slow-motion...

@Ezra Lucky you! As we still don't get GENEVA paint in Europe, I have to put jelly on my bread! Looking at you, I can tell this special ultramarin jelly makes you quite happy B) !

I had to have it brought from the USA also.