Geneva Artists' Oil Color is now available!

Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
We are very pleased to announce that Geneva Artists' Oil Color is finally here! I can't wait for you to try it! :)

You can order a full set of colors here: genevafineart.com/color

Currently we are only shipping within the United States, but will be offering international shipping in the near future.
[Deleted User][Deleted User]MikeOEstherHjrbgolfsThiago.nunesousaCastillomavis_swtvalentinGERARD61VangieDianna

Comments

• @Mark_Carder @David_Quinn_Carder and the Geneva team Congrats and may you have all the success in the world. I'm looking forward to trying this paint as soon as you can get it to me.

I have a few preliminary questions now and probably more to come as they occur to me. Kingston has indicated that the pigment load in these paints is quite substantial which is terrific and if that is true then the paints are quite reasonably priced as he says. I was wondering about the Geneva Paints longevity in the jar. How long will the colors stay fresh in the jars before it starts to go bad? I go through some colors more than others so it is conceivable, in my case, that a color like yellow may be hanging around for more than six months.

Also, I was wondering about the power colors, Cad Red Deep etc.. Are they going to come on line at anytime in the future?
    [Deleted User]Castillo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] admin
    edited April 2015
    @MikeO Thank you Mike! We're looking forward to hearing what you think once you've had a chance to use them!

Regarding the longevity in the jar, you should be fine. All our colors have a small amount of clove leaf oil added to help prevent the formation of a skin on top. Skin on top would not really be an issue — as with other paint products, the thin skin could just be discarded and everything underneath would be totally fresh — but the small amount of clove oil we add should prevent it anyhow. The important thing is, obviously, to seal the jar after transferring color to your palette. In the future we will also be selling bottles of clove leaf oil. Someone who opens a particular jar very frequently (a few hundred times) without removing much paint can simply add a few drops of clove leaf oil to the jar, stir it in, and seal it up.

Of course, if you ever do run into any issues, just contact us and let us know. :)

Regarding "power colors"… yes, we have a few additional colors we're working on.
    Castillo
  • I was planning to start a new painting this weekend, but I'm gonna wait for my Geneva order. Can't wait!! :)
    [Deleted User]
  • A few questions:

Will individual colors be available?

Do you have any plans to accept paypal?

Any blog posts or other information about Rosso Corsa (i.e. is this synthetic red iron oxide pigment)?

So happy to finally get my hands on these! I haven't painted in ages -- too much work going on. But I have a vacation at the end of June and I'm already planning a still life.

rgr
    [Deleted User]
  • edited April 2015
    The facts that Geneva is on the market (together with a new video) made my day... The name 'Rosso Corsa' is wonderful! Could not be better... I will race off with these colors as soon as shipping to Europe is clear... Congratulations and a good start for the paint (and the easel)!
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 2015
    @rgr Yes, currently we are only selling full sets, but all colors will be available for individual purchase starting May 7th.

We're using Stripe, and we do not currently have any plans to accept PayPal. You can, however, use your PayPal card.

The pigment in Rosso Corsa is closely related to the pigment used for "permanent alizarin crimson", although the color is a bit brighter and it is a very pure red, leaning neither towards purple nor orange. It is not an iron oxide pigment. Synthetic red iron oxide is PR101 in the color index. Rosso Corsa is PR177. We included the color index names on the website, next to the individual color prices.

As for the name: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosso_corsa
  • Congratulations and the best of success, guys! No one deserves it more!
  • Great news, been waiting to try it. I'm glad that you changed the red a bit, I'm sure that will give a wider range on color mixing.
  • FAR OUT!!!

@David_Quinn_Carder correct me if I'm wrong but by judging the color of that Alfa Romeo it seems that I may not even have a need for the Power Red anymore.
    edited April 2015
    Castillo said:

@David_Quinn_Carder correct me if I'm wrong but by judging the color of that Alfa Romeo it seems that I may not even have a need for the Power Red anymore.

Well, you're not wrong that the car pictured is a crazy intense color, but that isn't the color of our Rosso Corsa. Color names/definitions are not used very consistently in general. Our red is similar to alizarin crimson, but a bit brighter and not subtly purplish like crimson is. It's good, you'll like it. :)

With our essential palette, you rarely need "power colors". Most paintings don't require anything else. But every once in a while you do run into an exceptional situation where you need a little boost, so that's why we're developing some colors for those situations as well.
    CastilloSummerDianna
  • Thanks @David_Quinn_Carder , I had to ask.

I too agree, most real life scenarios won't call for the "POWER TWO" even when colors can be perceived as being high in chroma. I don't think I've had a need for mine since I bought them.
  • David, I remember back early on when you first discussed the paint that it would also be available unmixed and tubed. Is that still in the works? Also best of luck. Gary
  • gfish said:

David, I remember back early on when you first discussed the paint that it would also be available unmixed and tubed. Is that still in the works?

Currently we're focused on ready-to-use color and extending our color lineup, so no, that isn't in the works at the moment. In the future? It's possible, but not planned.
    Summer
  • Awesome! I'm really looking forward to when you can offer shipping to Australia.

I'm very happy to see that the mixture is solvent free. I had previously avoided the old slow dry medium recipe and instead used just walnut oil and clove oil (with M. Graham paints) in order to keep my environment as non-toxic as possible, so I'm thrilled to see that these new geneva paints are also solvent free :)

If you don't mind saying, what's the primary oil used in the mixture? Linseed?
  • Lee said:

If you don't mind saying, what's the primary oil used in the mixture? Linseed?

Yes, the vehicle for all Geneva colors is linseed oil.
    Lee
  • Wonderful news about your line of paints. Just in time because I think that I recently bought the last tube of Permanent Alizarin Crimson Artists' Oil Colour 468, Permanance A, Series 4 in the universe. Ha Ha
    Mark_Carder
  • edited April 2015
    International soon please please~
    EstherH
  • I have such a time getting the alizarin on my pallette to come close to cad red light. is it just me.....with these colors can i mix the yellow with the rossa corsa and come close to cad red....i am sure this is a stupid question but i finally caved in and bought some cad red light.
  • I am looking forward to buying some next week. Do we need medium for this paint at all? or is it pre-mixed in? Thanks
  • Please disregard... just spotted this on page 1... paragraph 1. laughing at myself.
    "Comes prepared and ready to use Geneva Artists' Oil Color has already been mixed with Geneva Medium to just the right consistency, so there is no need to thin it down further before using it. And because every pigment is different, they have each been developed with their own unique medium formulation, so every Geneva color performs wonderfully under the brush — neither too short (buttery) nor too long (stringy), but just right."
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to ordering.
  • So happy to try these colors without having to use solvents. Just placed my order-new here, still setting up my studio space. I deal with allergies so the less toxic option of premixed colors clinched the deal for me.

Appreciate so much the generous videos and info I've gleaned thus far on how and why to set up a good working space. Once took some lessons from a local artist and she kept me on her back porch-wouldn't let anyone see her studio! Which was part of what I needed to learn. So, very grateful for the abundant sharing found here. Looking forward to starting some lessons very soon.
    EstherHMark_Carder

• I'm looking forward to when you can offer shipping to Belgium or Luxembourg.
  • I placed my order for the full set.

The solvent free aspect was a major selling point.

A secondary aspect was that I learned practically everything I know about oil painting from this website, from building my own equipment, to how to use it, to mixing colors, to varnishing, everything from A to Z. All for free.

So I bought as a gesture of gratitude, but also knowing that these paints are of extremely high quality, made buying a very easy decision. I look forward to using them, and not having to worry about ventilation.

Thanks Mark!
    [Deleted User]Mark_CarderVangie
  • My paints have arrived and they are wonderful! The generously sized jars (how did you get them closed so tightly? ) are brimming with rich, vibrant color that has a butter-like consistency. I've set my alarm for 3 AM to begin my sure-to-be masterpiece using this product! LOL. Seriously, this is awesome paint!! Congratulations!
    rgr[Deleted User]Mark_CarderVangie
  • Can't wait to order these paints. Always had a problem with the fumes from any type of oil paint solvents. Was just using paint with walnut oil. So about the paint....are they truly "fume free" and not just "odorless"?
  • Ok just went to the Geneva store and my questions were answered. Thank you, Thank you Thank you. I always felt left out that my paints were not mixed with the slow dry medium. Now I can truly experience the DMP way to paint.
    Mark_Carder
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited May 2015
    cotton said:

I have such a time getting the alizarin on my pallette to come close to cad red light. is it just me.....with these colors can i mix the yellow with the rossa corsa and come close to cad red

You will come a bit closer with the rosso corsa, but to get the super power red-oranges you will need a bright cadmium red. We will be selling a bright cadmium red before too long, it will be one of the three "power colors" we will be selling as part of our extended palette. The other two are pthalo turquoise and manganese violet.

Keep in mind that you will rarely need power colors if you are painting realism.
    CastilloVangie
  • Will putting the paint in a refrigerator help to increase the longevity of the paint? I have paints mixed with the SDM, that is over a year old. Based on what your saying I would not mix anything , only some leaf clove oil.
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    Yes, fridge would prolong the drying just the same as all oil paint.

You do not need to add oil of cloves or anything else to Geneva oil paint. All the colors even burnt umber dry in 7+ days.
  • thanks so much. Looking forward to getting the Geneva paints.
  • please how can this products get down to Africa. am really eager to start my paintins with your techniques and i wouldnt mind if there are other ways people can getthem shipped through other shipping agencies that can handle the paints
  • Hi Bezalel, I use a forwarding company called MyUs.com. I have just had a set of Mark's paint shipped to SouthAfrica. They are in the process of getting here. I have not got them yet. The parcel has not arrived in South Africa yet and it needs to still go through customs. I have shipped other artist's oil paints to South Africa either using MyUs, or directly from DickBlick in USA, without any problems. Artist's oils are not considered hazardous, but certain solvents and mediums are, so you can't ship all artist's materials. I will let you know when the paints get here. I am dying to try them. I think it should work shipping to Nigeria too, but you need to check what your country's restrictions are. Check out the MyUs.com site - there is a lot of useful information there.
    dencal[Deleted User]Bezalel
  • @David_Quinn_Carder What is the recommended method of thinning for glazing or scumbling. Also what is the best way to maintain the paint fluidity on the pallette over time?
  • You'll have to ask Mark or someone else about glazing/scumbling — I would think for glazing you would just add linseed oil (refined probably, as it dries much faster than cold-pressed), but I really don't know. For scumbling… don't you just load the brush very lightly? Put paint into bristles and then remove most of it before going to the canvas? I don't know, I've never done it.

As for maintaining paint fluidity, you don't have to do anything. In the jar, it should last for years if you close the lid tightly, and on the palette, it will dry much slower than on your canvas because it's in big blobs. As with any paint, if you premix colors, you should avoid premixing tiny flat swatches — instead, make sure any color you mix has some "body" to it. If it's a blob, it's not going to dry quickly. Even if the outside begins to dry, which would only happen if you don't mess with it for a week or more, you can just disrupt the blob with your brush and it will all be good and fresh and usable.

So in short, big blobs on the palette will stay wet for a long time. Thin flat brushstrokes on the palette will dry in 7–10 days. To extend the usability on the palette further, you'll need to store the palette in a refrigerator or an airtight box with clove oil or something like that.
  • @David_Quinn_Carder I just ordered a set even though I still have some of the home brew stuff left. I can't wait till I get to try it. thanks, I'm most especially interested in the black as that's the hardest color to get just right for me anyway.
  • @Ginny thanks for the tips and i an already checking it out and by the way are u into still life or portraits maybe we can talk on how to move Africa with this techniques of Mr Mark.
  • Currently we are only shipping within the United States, but will be offering international shipping in the near future.

Just wondering when you will be exporting to Australia. Thanks.
  • @Vangie Not sure yet, but as soon as possible. We'll let everyone know as soon as we have a timeline. I think it will be sooner rather than later.
    Vangie
  • @Kingston We're not going to stop you. :p
  • VangieVangie -
    edited May 2015

@Vangie Not sure yet, but as soon as possible. We'll let everyone know as soon as we have a timeline. I think it will be sooner rather than later.

Thanks, @David.
    Obviously I would prefer "sooner". I have siblings and friends living in the US but I really do not want to trouble them with having to post the parcel to me. But if the "sooner" means a few months, maybe I may have to.

Just wondering what would be the total weight of a full set + 1 extra Tit.White + packaging.
  • @Vangie Send shipping inquiries to @Gamble_Nelkin at [email protected] — she is better equipped to calculate shipping costs. Keep in mind that USPS and UPS do not necessarily charge by weight, depending on the dimensions of the package. Anyway, Gamble should be able to answer your question.
    Vangie
  • Sap green would be nice.
  • It's exciting to hear about all the great things planned for geneva fine art supplies.

Any plans on releasing your famous canvas stain colour pre-mixed? (perhaps acrylic)

Not that there's any great need, but it would be a nice little convenience item.
  • LeeLee -
    edited May 2015
    Kingston said:

There is no better way to learn color than to mix your own from the core primaries. And you get better color

Agreed. Just to clarify my above post, I was wondering about a canvas stain pre-mix for the sole purpose of staining canvases... not mixed with a slow-dry medium like the main Geneva colours.

It's no biggie, it's easy to mix up with any third-party paints, though I think it would be a nice addition down the track... then people could buy all their paints through the Geneva store.

EstherH
    edited May 2015
    @Lee It's something we have in the pipeline, but there's a lot of testing and experimenting left to do on that. We want it to be solvent-free and of course it needs to outperform everything on the market (one of our requirements for selling a product). First priorities are "power colors" and international availability.
    VangieEstherH