WATER MIXABLE OIL PAINTS-

Mark, you mention using Cadmium Yellow Pale, as one of the 5 colors. Problem is I can only find "Cadmium Yellow Pale (HUE). Will this be ok to use or is there another yellow that is closer to the Cadmium Yellow Pale?
2nd Q: Also I notice in viewing the dvd's that most of your furniture is black. Is this something you would recommend to have? Like easel, and alight wood color cabinet I use.

Comments

• GaryGary -
    edited January 2013
    The pigments used to make Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue in the WN water mixable oil paints are YP65 (Hansa Yellow) and PY3 (Hansa Yellow 10G). In their artists' oil colors the Cadmium Yellow Pale is made with a different, single pigment, PY35 (Cadmium Yellow). This will make some difference in how this color mixes with the other colors on Marks suggested palette. If that variation is significant or not is a question I leave to Mark or perhaps another forum member who uses the WN water mixable paints.

Mark uses dark furniture, dark backgrounds, etc because it cuts down on light reflections and glare that may alter the true colors in your setup, affect the paints as you mix your color group/steps, apply your colors to your canvas, etc. He strives to see, mix and apply the true color of objects without that color being changed in any way. :)
  • Thanks Gary, I did find a Cadmium Yellow Light, -- just wondering if LIGHT would be close to the PALE. I will keep looking though. I'll have to get some drapery for the closet doors that are white then. My better half won't let me paint them black. LOL.
    thanks again, appreciate the help.
  • I use cad yellow light (WN Artisan wmo's) and dont have any trouble, but then maybe I just don't know what I am missing out on!
    I love wmo's, even though I never use water :)
  • edited January 2013
    I don't know if there are any issues with colorfasteness or durability of Cad Yellow Pale Hue, but it doesn't seem to me that Mark's color mixing method depends on having exactly the same colors that he works with. IOW, its probably best to use/start with exactly what he recommends, but it seems to me that his method would allow you to mix any color if you have any white, brown, and the three primary colors: yellow, blue, and red. When I travel I use wmo's and it has never been an issue. I don't use water either, except for cleanup, because there is a temporary color shift until the water evaporates.
  • thank you Mark and Vangie.. information given definitely going to help. I'm getting exited as I am close to getting the studio set up - JODIEU- I'm going to get the CAD YELLOW LIGHT- and go with that.MNSRC, yes, I did notice the color change with water, so I have been using only the thinner. THANKS AGAIN.
    JodieU