How do you maintain your brushes

Comments

• Jimmy

Suspended, after a quick wipe, in a lidded jar of cooking oil with rubber O rings. The jar has a ssteel pot scourer in there to agitate any remaining pigment. Left there until I next need to paint that colour group ( whites, reds, browns, blues, blacks etc). No cleaning, no soap, no solvent, no time wasting chores, no expense. In four years I have not had to throw any brushes away, in fact they look as good as the day I bought them.

Pigment settles to the floor of the jar --- decant and go 'round again.

Denis

• Denis, I like the idea of always having wet brushes. Can you post a picture? If I understand correctly, you're saying you don't clean them in solvent, you leave the paint in the bristles all the time, you dedicate your brushes to a color group. I'm afraid my brushes are going to dry up and become useless so I've started cleaning them out in solvent every few days and standing them up to dry. Do you drill holes in the lids of the jars and put the o-rings on the brush handles? Sounds great.
  • Jimmy and martenvisser

Here is one of the discussion threads: http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/1453/brush-holder-idea/p1

Denis
    [Deleted User]
  • @dencal‌ I tried this with cooking safflower oil and my brushes kept getting gummy. I do like how my brushes feel when they are really clean. Am I the only one?
    [Deleted User]
  • MeganS

Agreed. It's a minor irritation though, easily solved with a wet wipe.
    The essential quality here is that you are using a 'drying' oil, such as safflower.

Mineral oils (baby oil, sewing machine oil) will keep brushes free of gumminess but may contaminate oil paint to the degree that drying pigment may not form a skin. Could remain sticky forever and be an attraction for dust. Not to mention varnishing, cleaning and archival issues.

Denis
  • Why not use linseed oil? I've got to get a jar and o-rings. Where does one buy o-rings? Is it a plumbing supply or an office supply?
  • Jimmy

Art linseed ($92 litre), thirty times the price of a supermarket ($2.75 litre) cooking oil?
    O rings are available in plumbing suppliers. An assortment of 50 cost me $2.50 ( I should have haggled).

Denis
  • Denis, Does it matter if the cooking oil is vegetable oil (Wesson) or oilive oil? You wrote, "The essential quality here is that you are using a 'drying' oil, such as safflower". By "drying" do you mean an oil that will evaporate?

In Mark's video I see he has brushes in wooden holders suspended over mason jars. What is Mark's brush routine? What's in the jars?
  • Jimmy

Almost all cooking oils are vegetable in origin unless you are considering butter or lard.
    I have tried blended vegetable oil and safflower oil. As for the varieties you mention I don't know. Suggest you leave drops of the oils on a labelled test surface and observe their drying characteristics.

Yes by 'drying' I mean it will evaporate or polymerize (in paint it will form a hard and dry layer of pigment).

Mark can describe his routine so much better than I can @Mark_Carder‌

Denis

• I'm going to have to try this. I have not been painting as much because the thought of cleaning so many brushes is rather off putting.
  • Melissa said:

I have not been painting as much because the thought of cleaning so many brushes is rather off putting.

Not a very good excuse. :P
    [Deleted User]ZIM
  • edited December 2014
    8-| I need a minion. any volunteers?