Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

David!

I have done around 5 paintings with the print settings (color profiles) wrong! I finally figured it out with the help of the advanced photography guide. Gaaahh! No wonder some of my paintings needed color correction after I painted them. Well, now I know better...so hopefully I'll paint better. Thank you for all the time and effort it takes to put that together and to share it so freely. Thank you, thank you.
Mark_Carder[Deleted User]

Comments

• I'm just glad someone is using it. :)
  • Me too :) I love the advanced photography guide.
  • I too am studying the advanced photography guide. I have a question about photoshop. Amazon has a subscription plan, Adobe Creative Cloud + lightroom . Allows the user to download all photoshop titles. Would that be what I need to process my photos. It is $9.99/month.
  • @ZIM If you're referring to this: amzn.com/B00KNDCCE6

Then yes. But be aware that your computer needs to be able to handle it. If you're using a Mac of some kind, you can just tell me what model it is and I can tell you how it should fare running Photoshop and Lightroom. If you're using a Windows PC, I might need to give you instructions on how to check the system specs to make sure it's up to the task.

That's one reason I recommend people use the free trial first, just to see if it all runs smoothly and to get an idea of what they're getting into. It's the full program and lasts for one month. When the trial runs out, you can then get the $9.99 subscription and it will automatically switch over without you needing to redownload the software. You can get a trial of both Photoshop and Lightroom at the very bottom of this page: creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Thanks, David. That sounds like a good idea. I have windows 7 home edition premium on a HP Pavilion DV7.
  • I definitely would not purchase a subscription until you've used the trial for a while. It may work fine for you, but you definitely want to see how it goes before making any commitments. Aside from it being a pain to use a laptop for this kind of work, my main concern is that I have used the screen on a newer HP dv7 model — it may very well be different from the one you have — and it had a display that was not even remotely useable for anything color sensitive. I can be very picky, but in this case I am not being picky… the screen was just beyond horrible, and there was nothing I could do to fix it. This is not uncommon with laptops (with notable exceptions), but HP has a lot of models with "dv7" in them, so I was probably using a different one.

But the Photoshop trial is free, and the screen I was dealing with may not be the one you have, so try it out. If you have trouble, let me know. You'll want to actually go through the entire printmaking process, including the actual printing, so you can see if your results turn out as expected.

If it works well enough and you end up using Photoshop/Lightroom frequently enough, you can buy a computer specifically for photography stuff later on. Unfortunately a good setup for the full photography workflow — printer, computer/display, camera, etc — is not cheap.
  • I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 with Windows 7 and use Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. It runs fine, but PhotoShop is not that easy to use. You might drop $99 to see if PhotoShop Elements fits your needs.
    ZIM
  • David: I have a HD screen. Does that help at all?
  • Do you mean an HDTV? It could, but I don't have a short answer for you. I'll PM you and we can discuss this stuff on the phone later if you'd like, I think it will be easier and quicker.