why paint?

this girl is an art student, cute too, and she has been posting theses drawings for a few years. ya gotta watch it, only a few minutes, and you will see a lifelike "painting" that we slave over to do. i read recently that you tubers are cashing in up to 100,000 a month. i hope heather is getting her fair share and using it for tuition or whatever, she is one of my favorite shows.
marieb

Comments

• I've watched her several times. She is incredibly talented. I'm clueless with colored pencils.

But to answer your question: Because it's a passion of mine. I haven't reached my potential and until I do, I will keep doing it. If I can make some money on it along the way, that's a plus.
    marieb
  • Oilpainter

Thanks for the link. Heather produces outstanding work.
    And seems to do it with consummate ease.

Denis
  • @oilpainter‌ why do we even bother with something so messy as paint, medium, brush cleaning, varnishing plus that good old toxic OMS? :-?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_sOgH20Vo :-?
  • @ Kingston She might be making nothing, but she has 546,283 subscribers which is pretty huge and this video has 193,001 views which is also pretty good considering it was posted on Sept 24 2014. She should be making something. Agree though about many talented artists landing in other fields.
  • lena said they get $1-20 per thousand views, heather had 3,000,000 views on her robin williams picture. maybe she hasn't signed with a "partner" for all the right reasons i'm sure. undeniably gifted, would like to know her art "history". would be something if she is a painting major. she's about 21 now.
    i met a lady named arlene steinberg who blew me away with her pencil art in philly art show last year. hyper realistic. i wanted to buy a small piece 8 x 10, only 3K, cheap.
  • The youtube vids of artists speed painting intrigues me. I love Vladimir Volegov's work. It's all paint blobs that turn into a painting. There's magic in the rendering and it's instant gratification when you see it sped up. I used to watch Heather's work but I actually got a little bored. Is that sad? I knew that it would be a perfect rendering and not much to keep it interesting. I say this and yet, here I am, doing portraiture with as much realism as I can muster. I would love to paint like Volegov. But even he started out with strong realism for years before doing the paintings he's doing now.

I know I'm off topic. But money and art just don't go together. You are in the wrong business if you really want to make money doing art. There are so few people who actually make a living doing it. I refuse to use that as my marker of success as an artist. If I made 35K a year doing a painting a month, I'd have to sell the painting for at least 3K. Now, realistically, I could crank out more paintings than that and obviously, there are variables like taxes and material costs. But to sell a painting for that much would be awesome!

I hope Heather is making money, but I doubt that's why she draws.
  • @Kingston‌ there's not any art school I could find that's only $25,000. My son was interested in art schools and the prices I'm getting are more than twice that per year. He changed his mind again though and wants to go to a music college instead. Cost for that is about the same. Maybe I should start playing the lottery.
  • megan, i watch youtube, no tv. there's lots of good russian painters. my watch list is all painters and documentaries. my real point wasn't well written. i was commenting how realistic the pencil medium was and how well heather illustrated my point. to equal that level, painting seems like so much more work and time. the money thing isn't what i intended to focus on but lena danya revealed in her vid the art/youtube experience and what some tubers are making, not necessarily artists. i had just left her channel when i jumped here. heather probably draws for fun and practice, i've noticed her improve.
  • ahhh, kingston you said the secret word; photo. big difference painting/drawing from life. the other lady i referenced uses post processing for color and composition. her work sells out quickly. she is an art machine; perfect drawing. heather is a show, very good and a "human ink jet". she has much more going on but we don't see it, yet. =D>
  • She's exceptionally talented. I just subscribed to her youtube channel. I'm wondering though if she'll run into copyright problems at some point regarding her source material, as she is essentially doing reproductions of images that other people own copyright of.

I love watching the images come to life though. Nice find.
  • @Kingston, I agree with what you're saying. I would only sign and claim a painting/drawing as my own if it's genuinely original (i.e not copied from someone else's photo). Photography is also a hobby of mine, and I enjoy capturing images with the thought of turning them into paintings later on if they're good enough.

I'd like to see some truly original work from this artist, Heather. I was kind of just thinking out loud about copyright issues, and that it could possibly catch up with her, especially if her pieces start selling for a lot of money.
    MeganS
  • I've watched Lena too. She is awesome. One of those that kind of wings it and still comes out looking great. I stopped watching her when I gleaned from her vids that she was on a schedule of doing a vid a week. It kind of took out all the fun. I do like watching execution unfold, but I also wonder where each artist's standards are and whether or not they met those goals.

This thread is creeping into what is realism...again. I paint realism with oil paint because I like how little blobs of paint interact with each on a surface to get an image. Even though Heather's drawings are photo realistic, there is a flattening quality about them. Maybe it's because it looks like a photo with photo lighting. It's something that I struggle with personally because I believe the most interesting paintings don't have tight realism and yet that is what I'm painting. I'm trying to believe that I am still studying and that eventually my style will come about.

All three artists that have been mentioned uses photo manipulation and photography. In one of Volegov's vids, he showed how he goes about the process before he starts to paint. He gets photos of his subjects from various snapshots (not professional at all) in different poses. He then takes these photos, corrects color as much as he can, poses them in a serene background of some sort and somehow melds it all together. He does try to make his computer image as close to a painting as he can. Not a photo resembling real life, but a computer image that resembles a painting. Once in a while, I see where this gets him into trouble with things not in the right size. Flowers are all too big in his paintings. But he is able to achieve light, great color intensity and movement in all his paintings that I admire. He suggests where things are and our mind fills in the rest. That's the beauty of it. Every time I look at it, I see something new. I hope to get there someday. I want to paint the person and the personality of that person and not the photo of the person.

@oilpainter‌ Why do you paint? Why is your name oilpainter and not pencilartist? People achieve that kind of realism with paint too, but usually it's bigger and much more labor intensive. It also will last about 200 years longer.
  • https://youtube.com/watch?v=2WE6n_HZqvs

here is one. He has so many paintings and vids. But this is the one I was referencing.
  • I suppose Volegov is not a realist. It seems some people would put him in as an impressionist. I don't care really what "ist" he is. I love his paintings.
  • megan, mark had a hang out video with a hyper realist painter, check it out if you haven't. it's ok to be picture perfect, for me pencil is very natural and second nature. i am not doing it, since college actually, but it is like riding a bike, to me. i do have a hundred pencils, colored and graphite and pastel. i paint because it was something i wanted to become reacquainted with. i am going to do a realistic piece next but honestly i've always admired impressionists. sargent, zorn and sorolla are my modern painter likes. when i analyze what looks good to me it seems a painter who can get water right appeals to me. the artists who paint with as few strokes as possible really impress me.
    what i enjoy is the feel of the brush stroke. that's where oil can't be beat.
    oh...i found a great artist and just bought a large print: herbert james draper....kelpie.
    MeganS
  • @Kingston‌ Yeah, I'm pretty sentimental. Anyone that knows me knows that I love anything to do with women, children, and anything motherhood. I do have a darker side but I haven't yet tapped into it and probably won't until I feel the need.

@oilpainter‌ I haven't really tried colored pencils. I'm pretty adept at graphite and charcoal. The reason I came to Mark is because I had trouble with the color aspect, not the value aspect. Since that is now improving in great strides, I wonder if I can do pastel and colored pencil now? It seems many workshops that teach people how to see prior to painting use pastel. It might be a good way to keep skills while traveling without the hassles of oil paint.
  • edited November 2014
    i looked at back heather's drawings and the oscar selfie had over a million views and commercial. jennifer lawrence also with a commercial. young lady is unreal, she's getting some deserved money. she's bordering on a million views on quite a few drawings.
  • Martinvisser, what video was that Da Vinci video?
    Ron
  • It is very impressive. As Kingston said there are lots of talented people out there.
    Drawing and painting from life is another story altogether.
  • What Vladimir has is beyond talent it's a gift that he was blessed with.
  • Just reviewed Vladimir's work. Very impressive. Speaking for myself I think his work is terrific.