Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

what`s the difference ?

W & N artists gloss varnish, and McCloskey gloss varnish. besides price ?

Painters drop cloths come in 8 oz, and 10 oz, 80% cotton. about $6. for 4`x 5` made stretcher bars, 3 coats of gesso sanded between each, I stretched it tight as a drum. Total about $10 ,Why wouldn't this work ? Thanks

Comments

• Billj

I'm no expert but:

* W&N is removable, McC is not.
    * W&N is clear, McC is amber toned
    * W&N is formulated to remain clear and transparent over its lifetime, McC may turn cloudy depending on exposure.
    * W&N is designed as a once only application, McC is designed for mechanical stripping and re-varnishing say every five years.

If none of these attributes matter to you then go with McC. Varnish is a mixture of resin, oil and solvent. I would want to know that these particular ingredients are chemically compatible with oil paint and SDM.

I have seen painter's drop cloths stretched as large painting canvases and the producers of these Utube videos are happy with the results -

To protect the cotton fibers from linolenic acid (from linseed oil) you should use a PVC size before the gesso coats.

Denis
  • Denis; thanks, one out of two isn`t bad. Have you used that kind of canvas if so do you like it ?
  • do not staple a canvass in the manner shown in that video. staple twice in the center, pull from the opposite side and staple twice. pull from the unstapled side, staple twice pull opposite side, staple twice. start at beginning pulling and stapling right and left of the first staples. repeat all steps. this torques the canvass evenly and when primed will produce a smooth surface lasting tight as a drum. you can use canvass pliers for uptime results. drop cloth canvass is a rather loose weave and the method i described ensures optimum results.
  • My painting of Clara's flowers and the waterscape were both done on regular canvas I bought at a fabric store with coupon was 6.00/yard at 72" tall. I have attempted to use drop cloths once for sides of a parade float and didn't like the weird texture and weave. There is light shining through because it wasn't woven tight enough. There's also little whelps (I think that's the word?) all over. I went back to canvas bought at the fabric store. I stretch my canvases the way oilpainter mentioned which was the way I was taught in painting school (they did teach me some stuff...).

Recently, I've decided to not use my own stretcher bars with canvas. If I'm using my own canvas and stretching my own, use stretcher bars that have keys to tighten. When I make my own stretcher bars, there is no way to do this. For those frames, I'm using a poly canvas which stretches very tight and hopefully won't sag. We shall see. I haven't painted on it yet. I can tell you though that it's hairy fabric that frays very easily, but it's very tight surface.

Are these painters realism painters? I can understand not caring too much about the texture and weave if you are doing a modern piece where you will be adding texture anyway. Back in college, I never sanded my gesso because I didn't care that it had brush strokes. All my works were abstract.
    billj
  • oilpainter, The method you describe is the method use.

megans, The canvas I used did not have the faults yours had. I dont have the name of the product, next time I go to the store I`ll get the name.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.
  • Kingston, I agree Clasens is WAY overpriced and I dont see why its worth that much compared to other linen brands.
    My alternative is birch plywood gessoed and sanded. I dont see any drawbacks with it. It has whatever surface you want to give it ( smooth, rough, ) Very durable. I keep several full (4` x 8`) panels and some 1" boards in stock so I can make whatever size I want whenever I want it, and for ONE TENTH the cost.
    When you say hardboard are you talking about a " Masonite" type board ?
    Also what kind of stain and whats it for ?
    I will check out the Walmart canvas. ( I like when you say "you can toss it with no qualms"
    Thanks again for your help, it`s much appreciated.
    ^:)^
  • if any of you have the ability (tools) resaw poplar and glue up panels reinforced with supports on the back. it's a stable surface that will outlast canvass. lead prime it and paint with the angels. untempered masonite is a second best, imo. if you can source it MDO is a material made for painting, sign painting, and it's dimensionally stable. some people build boats out of it. you don't need supports because it's engineered to stay flat and a easy to make floater frame is a natural for it.