New portrait

Just wanted to share a new portrait with you guys. A bit different in style from the other portraits I've shared on the forum earlier. Comments/criticism welcome.

[Deleted User]MikeOMeganSrgrjrbgolfsedwardRonnaRosanne

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mark_Carderdencal
  • I love how much life there is in this painting. His face has strong dimensionality, but his collar is quite flat. I feel like there should be a stronger shadow under his collar since he has a strong shadow where his neck comes out of the collar. I love the background work and the orange/mustard/saffron color. How's your likeness? When I get this brushy, I tend to lose it a bit.

so many typos! I said color for collar! I'm glad I proofread it!
  • ebsebs -
    edited September 2014
    @KevinGE Haha, he's just squinting very intensely/making a funny face.

@MeganS Thank you! Yeah I think you might be right regarding the shadow beneath his collar (color? haha). There is a very thin, darker area under the edge of his collar. I just seem to have blocked the shadow in as one color.
    This is quite an experimental painting, or should I say study really. It's the first painting I've done from a Macbook monitor. Quite a challenging thing to do, as you can't match colors and values properly. You have to kind of trust your own abilities. So it's done without checking colors and values like I would've been able to otherwise. Regarding the likeness, I think I've managed to capture it quite well. To achieve a likeness, the important thing is to have the right relationship between key points as Mark explains in the portrait vid. Peoples faces change thoughout life (e.g. gaining wheight, losing wheight) but because things like the distance between eyes etc. don't change, at least significantly, your able to recognise the person, even thought the persons physique has changed a lot. So in other words, you can bump things around (paint quite boldly) whithout losing the likeness, as long as you don't mess to much with those key points.

With regards to the portrait swap, I'm sorry but I don't have time to participate at the moment. Maybe next time. Looking forward to seeing the results!

@Kingston Thanks! I agree the eyes are a bit hard edged compared to the rest of the face, but I wanted to paint it more "tight" to draw the attention to the eyes. Don't think I would've been able to capture the same facial expression without the eyes being the way they are, but maybe. Hair and clothes are painted more loosely because I wanted the face to be more in focus than the rest. I personally think the way I painted the hair works well, but please if you have more specific suggestions I'd love to hear it.

• This is all very personal, but I like everything about it, even the collar, except for the hair. And there the only problem is simply that the intermediate values are milky, not as rich as natural color would be.

Wonderful, just love it!!!
    Martin_J_Crane
  • ebs

Love the freshness and energy in the brush stokes. Brave value steps suit the subject.
    Excellent portrait. Well done.

Denis

• @ebs‌ I did all my dry brush paintings with a mac monitor. I know now that I wasn't exact with my values, but I still like the end result. I ask myself, is it darker or lighter than the color next to it? It only got me in trouble a few times when I needed some sort of contrast and didn't have any value steps left to make it without changing other parts of the painting.

Just an observation: we artists have too much emphasis on the process while most of the public just care about the end result. It's because we want a method that is reliable and consistent. I find that most successful art is when it's on the brink. It pulls back and forth between reliable and experimental. Which makes for artwork that is interesting to look at.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • @Kingston I know you're not complaining. Thank you for the advice. I agree with what you said regarding edges and will try it out with my next painting in this style.

@Mark_Carder Thank you very much for the kind words. I agree with what you said about the mid values in the hair. I struggled the most with the hair as I was painting from a mac monitor as I mentioned above. Much easier painting from life or printed photo of course. Still I enjoyed painting from the monitor because I didn't get caught up in every tiny color variation that's easy to do when painting from a printed photo. I love painting from life, but unfortunately not many people have the patience to sit as a model.

@dencal Thank you very much for the kind words.

@MeganS Thank you very much for the tips and insight. Very interesting what you said in the last paragraph. I'll keep that in mind.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @basmeijdam Thanks. I used a filberts brushes called "ivory brushes", from Rosemary & co. I did use a large brush to begin with, but it became a mess since I struggled with judging the colors from the monitor, so I then reworked the area using smaller brushes.