Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Low ceiling

I have a low ceiling ( 210cm ) which I'm a little worried won't do. I have made up a little plan, and in order to get even close to the 4ft advised for light to top of the canvas, I keep making my seat lower! This is while I try to keep the canvas at or near eye level.
Anyone dealing with a small space like this?

Comments

• Mark would be the best person to guide you on this, but in my space, I have low ceilings and I compensate by using a modifier. I think the idea of having the light be far enough away is to get good light coverage. The angle of the light though is to reduce glare. I use a modifier to try and spread the light better and try to keep the angle to something close to 35 degrees. To be honest, my space is too small and I just do the best I can with what I have.
  • Thanks rgr, so some kind of modifier to keep all the light hitting at about 35 degrees would be good. A grill or some barn doors.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 2014
    mtompson

If you imagine a cone angling out at 35 degrees from the centre of the canvas you will be able to place your lights along that plane. If directional light is a worry then two 40 watt, one on either side. In this way you can achieve the correct angular relationships without lying on the floor. The light source does not have to be overhead.

The aim here is to stop glare reflecting back into your eyes and distorting the perception of values in your painting. While there is comfort in the certainty of a particular number in practice it is not so critical. There is some latitude and flexibility.

Black, non reflecting surfaces behind you and behind your shadow box and easel will calm the glare.

There is also a lot of spill/glare variability in the type of light unit and housing you buy. A flood reflector/diffuser unit would increase the apparent physical distance relationship, compared to a point light source.

Denis
    rgr
  • @mtompson my space is in my basement with ceilings just under 6 feet tall and white washed walls. The environment is not ideal, but I put two 5000K lights on either side while I paint and that seems to work so far. One is on the ceiling and one is in a floor lamp. While not ideal, so far it has worked on color matching for me. Though, it is not good for taking pictures, as I always seem to have a glare, but for painting purposes I can work around the glare as I don't have anywhere else to paint at this point.
  • thanks Denis & jrbgolfs.
  • I'll put a simple parabolic reflector behind the bulb to try and keep the rays nice and straight. ( also keep my ceiling cool! ). If it doesn't work, I'll start experimenting...image