What makes an Archibald winner?

Carderites

This is an interesting analysis of all previous portraiture prize winners in terms of color palette, aspect ratio, canvas size, medium, gender etc.

What makes an Archibald winner?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-17/what-makes-an-archibald-winner/5594070

Hmmm...and it makes us wonder.

Denis

Comments

• Kingston

I hear what you are saying about data set analysis. However, I am generally happy to make decisions on a correlation that demonstrate a persistent association. Sure it is disappointing to push the envelope and look for causality in what is always multi factorial phenomena.

The other comfortable judgments you can make from this data set are about trends over time, the waspish bias, ageism, sexism, etc. Unless the gallery addresses these distortions from the social average the Archibald will fade into irrelevance. So data analysis has a social engineering benefit.

From a personal viewpoint I discover that my potential Archibald entry has a statistically very low chance of winning if I am over sixty and work in acrylic and use the landscape format.

Denis

• Kingston
    "...madly different stylistic variance..."

Is an enduring characteristic of all open art competitions. We are all just so different.
    As time passes stylistic variety can only increase, considering materials, supports and techniques becoming available.

The execution of the works and the judging of the entries were done without any knowledge of the artist demographic profile.

Denis
  • I work in "bigdata" now (sort of) and one thing I see over and over again is that it's easy to use big data to predict the past, and very difficult to use it to predict the future.