Question about mixing painte

Hi everyone. I'm new here but I've signed up for the online class and have been spending a lot of time watching Mark's videos. I watched the one on mixing the "steps" but am a bit unclear on one thing... I see how he is starting with black and moving lighter each step, but he only puts a "dab" of paint over on to the painting palette. Does this mean you are identifying each step but then have to go back and mix a larger amount of each one to transfer to the palette? Isn't this double the work? I hate to sound so dense, but I'm lost somewhere in the middle of this process. How do y'all do this??? :-)

Comments

• Can you link to the video with the time index? If I recall correctly, he keeps a dab of paint for each step so he can compare the next step. Once he's happy with the step he mixes, he then also transfers a pile of paint to the other palette. In class (in Austin), he reminds us to make sure our piles of paint are big enough so we don't have to go back and mix more later.
  • On the mixing palette, he puts a stroke of paint bumping against the previous step to see if it's a good step. Then, after determining the step in value is okay, he uses his color checker or photo to adjust the color to match a color in his color group (without changing the value, since the value step was already determined to be good).

Once he has a good step AND has matched his color to a color in the color group he's working on, he transfers a big pile of it to his second palette.

The explanation and pictures that will be in the Color Mixing sections of the Online Course will make it very clear and will be much simpler than trying to explain it here. :)
    edwardbopp
  • Thanks, guys! That makes it much clearer for me! I was worried about making just a small dab and then trying to match it again! You've helped me alot!
    mariebSusieQ
  • I had the same question. It looks as though he is only transferring a small dab to the other palette. How much is he transferring....a teaspoon....more? Than you so much.