Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Making a Floater Frame

Last week my husband and I made some floater frames. I didn't think to take pictures until we were finished so I went back and took what I could. But this is what I have.
Supplies:
1 1/2" x 3/4" Maple for the larger frame
1 1/2" x 1/4" Poplar (lattice board) for the smaller frames

1/2" Birch plywood for the backing
Strap clamp
wood glue
Black laytex paint
Polyurethane sealer
Mounting tape
D-Ring hangers/ wire
4 spacers the width of the painting and mounting tape

Cut the plywood backing. If you want a 1/4" space showing between the edge of your painting and the frame then cut the backing 1/2" wider and longer. Paint with the black paint.
I made my smaller painting with a 1/8" space but in the future I'll make everything with 1/4".

Cut and miter the frame pieces the size of your backing piece.

Lay your spacers on a flat surface. Put glue on the edges of the backing piece and place the backing piece Right Side down on top of the spacers. Put glue on the mitered edges of the frame and place around the backing. Place the strap clamp. Push down on the backing to make sure it is in proper position. Also, place some small supporting blocks around the edges.

This is what it looks like in the clamp BUT that backing piece should be right side down. I took this picture after the fact and should have shown it upside down.

When it's dry you can sand it a little, varnish the front and back, and add the hardware.

Add the mounting tape to the front.
These are some spacers I used around the edges so when I dropped in the painting I would have equal spacing.

My Degas copy.
My painting of a Parakeet from the local zoo.
ebsCastillojrbgolfscynthiagwilsonSummerKaustavedward

Comments