What bulb for modeling light?

Perhaps I missed something in the vids... mention of 2 Studio lights 85W 5000k Spirals... but no mention as to what light is used for modeling...please advise.... or is it a case of whatever takes your fancy?

Comments

• Zooreka_Art

Much depends on what and where you are applying the light.
    I use two 11 watt CFL 5000k for the shadow box, one would do.
    I have a 48 watt CFL 5kk standard task light - drawing, mixing etc.
    These are in addition to the four 24 watt painting lights.
    Also in the kit is a 16 watt 40 array LED work light for supplementary lighting. See pic.

I have posted pictures of these on the forum here: http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/comment/35500/#Comment_35500

Have a look at CRI LEDs, still very new http://www.yujiintl.com/high-cri-led-lighting

Denis
  • Thanks Denis.... Much as I thought.... and indeed like how you mention your painting lights are 24 watt and not 85 watt as Mark suggests... Looking at his setuop he has a High Pitch roof with upen ceiling... and would likely need that kind of output... My rooms here are the standard 8ft which is why I asked the question previously,,, My problem here though is to find a source for 5000K bulbs anywhere and then I can take it from there... SO should be able to get awat with a couple of 24s and an 11 or even a 24, 48 and 11,,,

Thanks... I'll bear this in mind when making the choice,,, Guess it makes sense to keep them all 5k though would have thought a warm modeling light could produce some nice results... have to remember that some renaissance painters painted by Candle light... Doubt the Optician had even been invented then....
  • Zooreka_Art

... though would have thought a warm modeling light could produce some nice results... have to remember that some renaissance painters painted by Candle light...

A warm modeling light will have you mixing colors that look wrong in daylight.

I use four 24 watt in the studio to give me 96 watts (equiv to 400 incandescent watts)
    Don't know where your 'here' is but most lighting and larger hardware stores carry them marked as 'daylight' bulbs. You have to look carefully for the 'k' value.

Denis
  • if you want CFL bulbs look at BlueMax, online. The mushroom bulb is huge and requires a wide and deep reflector but the light is fantastic.
  • edited June 2014
    Nightmare trying to find anything even close here in Lima... Found a 46w bulb today in a photographic shop but it's 5600K,,, and they want around $45 for it,,,big enough it is too
    Not really sure how to describe it either.... kinda like a squash shape with 6 tubes running vertically...

Gonna keep looking... Gotta get it locally here in Lima (Peru) as postage will cost a fortune even if they take Western Union,,,

• Not really sure how to describe it either.... kinda like a squash shape with 6 tubes running vertically...

:-? image
  • @Zooreka_Art‌ I think 5600k is probably fine. "Daylight" is usually defined as somewhere between 5000k and 5500k. 5600k is really close. Don't take my word for it as I haven't really looked into this, but maybe when @Mark_Carder‌ wakes up he can give you a definitive answer.
  • 5600 k is fine, it'll be lightly blue but only slightly.