Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hello. I'm Pedro from Madrid, Sapin

Begun drawing a few years back, now am taking it a lot more seriously and have been taking private drawing classes at this place for a year now.
http://www.academiaartium.com/
Teachers are excellent, all working artists with a lot of experience and would love to surprise them in about a year with 20 or so paintings of my own, without any of their instruction, using Mark's method.
I enclose three of my drawings. Here in Spain everyone learns to draw copying classical statues. the idea is to learn proportions, train the eye with observation skills, then learn to do the "stain", or the "Chiaroscuro" with charcoal, then use those skills to paint. In terms of colours I know that they suggest 6 hues, one warm, the other cold of each of the primaries, which is very similar to Mark's idea of Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue and Cadmium Yellow Light. Over here they replace Alizarin Crimson with Rose Quinacridone (PV19), add Hansa Yellow (PY3), Phtalo Blue (PB15 I think) and Permanent Red (PR255) or Cadmium Red Medium (PR108). Plus titanium white of course. On the side they also use Burnt Umber (PBR7) or Burnt Sienna (PBR7) and Yellow Ochre (PY43).
Anyway, my thanks to Mark - an an excellent teacher he is. And a (very) nice guy. Are you coming to Madrid Mark? If you do I'll tour you personally and show you stuff about Sorolla and the owrlk of another guy that died very young - Fortuny. He could have been Sargent's teacher easily! Check him out!
Best, Pedro
dencalrgr

Comments

• Nice work, Pedro1 The Plaza Mayor is my favorite place in the world.
    kierspicsPedro
  • Pedro

Thanks for the intro and welcome to you.

Love the drawings.

That is a pretty intense set of colors the academy is using, I think they would have to be toned down a lot for landscape, portraiture and still life.

Denis
  • Love your drawings! Excellent. :)>-
    Pedro
  • dencal said:

Pedro

Thanks for the intro and welcome to you.
    Love the drawings.
    That is a pretty intense set of colours the academy is using, I think they would have to be toned down a lot for landscape, portraiture and still life.

But isn't painting 99% about mixing and matching? With those colours you can max and min in each axis and with all possible varieties of colour temperature. I'm doing charts with Perm Alizarin (PR177) where I mix it with Burnt Umber (PBr7), Ultramarine Blue (PB29) and Yellow Cadmium (PY35) and I'm amazed with the hues we can get. Just adding one more pigment, say Phthalo Blue Green undertone would be a nightmare as I'd have to make many more charts. Really Mark is absolutely right when he recommends to start with only those 4 colours ...