Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Winton Oil Colors + SDM

What do you guys think about these cheaper brand (Winton) of W&N oil colors? They have higher quantity of linseed oil to pigment ratio in them compared to Artist Oil, so obviously mixing this with Mark's SDM will produce slightly different results. Now the question is - Linseed oil makes the paint dry slower, so adding it to SDM will make it dry even slower than Mark's original setup?

Other question is - Can i use my own version of SDM like:
9 parts damar varnish
9 parts turpentine
4 parts stand oil
2 parts Venice turpentine

Or - recipes involving Stand Oil and Walnut Oil/Safflower Oil

Or any other recipe for Slow drying medium? If not, what exactly does Mark's SDM achieve apart from slowing the drying time by good amount?

Cheers

Comments

• MerFury

Winton is W&N's student range and is less expensive to buy because there is a higher ratio of neutral filler and consequently less pigment. Yes, the results will be different to those obtained with Mark's palette.

If you have a recipe you prefer then try it out. For my part, I am happy not to have to mess around with mediums. - your first two ingredients in those quantities will accelerate drying and the last two will slow it down.

SDM makes tube paint; smoother, easy to mix, self leveling, glossy, longer open time for adjustment on the palette and canvas, almost infinite storage in airtight jars as stock, several weeks useful storage in airtight plastic cups as mixed value strings.

I love SDM for the latitude it allows in having my canvas workable for a week or so, SDM adjusts the tube paint to an even and consistent ketchup viscosity that brushes well and mixes beautifully.

Denis

• Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited March 2014
    Stay away from regular turpentine (spirits of turpentine), it is far more toxic than OMS. Venice Turp is very different, it is just pine tree sap.
  • So apart from it being toxic how different it is in terms of creating a medium with Venice?

On that note venice Turp is being a headache to me, as i have gotten all my materials in except this bad boy, and its becoming very difficult to get hold of this stuff
  • MerFury

Which city are you in?

Denis
  • I actually moved to U.A.E (Dubai) and there are only bunch of shops that actually stock Arts materials, and Venice Turp is something thats quite alien to them lol + There is not much of a demand for Artist Oil's, so they dont stock the colors Mark lists, so i had to get the Wintons :(

And one of the artist there said i should try - 3 Turp, 2 Linseed, 1 Damar and add .2 0r .3 of oil of clove or lavender --- to get slower drying times. Now how does Mark get that kethup like consistency, which of the ingredients is actually responsible for that?

I can try diffrent SDM, but i dont wanna deviate too much from Mark's actual method, cuz i am becoming paranoid that if i start doing things differently i wont be able to achieve the beautiful results Mark gets in his DVD's. I already went with Winton, so i deviated from the method in that aspect :)

Cheers
  • johnwjohnw -
    edited March 2014
    I think that regular turpentine and Venice turpentine are not interchangeable in their purpose in SDM.

Regular turpentine (which you should not use) is a solvent, the role of which is taken up by the safer odorless mineral spirits.

Venice turpentine is European larch tree sap, and is very thick like honey, and is not used as a solvent, but rather, adds thickness to the paint, and helps the paint dry slower, harder and glossier.

You can use Venice turpentine that is produced for use on horse hoofs, as long is it is very pure with no additives. You may want to check horse and tack supply outlets.
  • MerFury

Here you go:

Talens Venetian Turpentine
    Product Information

Product Image

Purpose: Increasing the flow and transparency of glazing layers in oil colour
    Composition: Natural balsam, turpentine oil

• Traditional glazing medium
    • Increases the drying time of the paint film
    • Increases the durability of the paint film
    • Makes the brush stroke run, depending on the amount added
    • Increases the gloss
    • Slightly yellowing
    • Can be thinned with white spirit or turpentine

- See more at: http://www.hannahaicah.com/talens-venetian-turpentine#sthash.Nx7EyzZo.dpuf

o Place an order (or) for customer support please contact us TEL : (+971)55211 8041 EMAIL: [email protected] For More Enquiry Send us an email

Mosaic Gallery

Shop No 19, Opposite Sharjah Art Museum,
    Bin Kamil Souq, Cornich Street
    Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
    P.O.Box 4296
    TEL: +971 6 568 1517
    FAX: +971 6 568 0530

Denis
  • edited March 2014
    wow awsome dencal, did you just find it with a simple google search? So Venetian Turpentine is same as Venice Turpentine?
  • @Merfury , I think that the UAE are big into horse racing. Venice turps or Venetian turps is used to treat horse hooves. I have ordered some Venice Turps..(pure with no additives) from an equine supplies company in England, it is much cheaper.
  • edited March 2014
    Oh i am learning something new today lol

I just want someone to clarify if Venetian Turpentine can be used in place of Venice Turpentine, if yes I am all set to start a painting :D
  • johnwjohnw -
    edited March 2014
    It's the same thing.
    Venetian means "of, or relating to Venice." ;)
    MerFury
  • edited March 2014
    Nice, Thanks.
  • I learned everything I know from @dencal :D
  • Snap Venetian Turp out of stock, have to wait 1 month to get hold of it *facepalm*
  • Merfury

You will be able to order online - try Italy, Spain or Germany.

Denis
    scoobydoo1_1
  • Hi @MerFury - I'm just wondering how you went with the Winton paints? I live in Australia and the artist quality W&N can get so expensive. I think Cadmium Yellow Pale costs something to the tune of $40 in stores here.

How did you go mixing it with the SDM?
  • Wish I was still flying to Dubai. I could help you out in that respect. If something changes I'll let you know.