Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A new motivation....

I just started to look at this website but I discovered Marks method on youtube whilst I was in Hong Kong in December( as I live in China there is no youtube! ) Im from UK but live and work in Shanghai and recently moved into a house with a loft studio ! What luck, I now have space to explore and work on things I have only been thinking about for years. I went to art college in England in the 90's and worked for two local artists (sweeping up ect) but since have had no real connection with the art world. Well in December I bought all the stuff I needed and got stuck in again :)
I will post some paintings but I will say some of them are from direct tutorials, some from random photos I found on the web (one is about photographing in the style of the masters, really really inspirational in terms of composition).
Well, here you are, please feel free to clip my ears :) I still have several progression shots.
I was told that copying the masters is very good for study so I will continue to do so. I spend as much time as I can in the National Gallery and the portrait gallery in London when I am home and it is free which is superb....I suggest you check out the sergent section and dutch masters, chardin rembrandt etc all there for free and they have a good website too. Rembrandts technique was all about the contrast and details of the eyes as humans tend to look at a persons eyes frist above all ( unless i guess a nude )so all his technique and focus was on one partcular object, I imagine it works in still life too.
rgr

Comments

• StormdrayneRising

Splendid body of work. Well done.

Denis
  • edited February 2014
    thank you, that's very good of you to comment , please feel free to criticize , I'm only really happy with the coffee pot and large jug with cup...maybe the last mountain one but even that is missing something...:(
  • edited February 2014
    chardin was a pretty interesting chap, he started by sweeping studio floors, mixing paint for artists etc , went on to do still life and was told that he was at the bottom of the ladder, still life was at the time considered to be the lowest form of art, then landscape then portrait/figure then at the top, classical /biblical. turns out he was the best and most remembered from his time :) go chardin !
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 2014
    StormdrayneRising

Just been reading Burke, Peter 2014The Italian Renaisance 3rd ed Polity Press Cambridge p56.

Describing the apprentice system in Venice in 1530:
    To begin as a shop-boy studying for one year, to get practice in drawing on the little panel; next to serve in the shop under some master, to learn how to work at all the branches which pertain to our profession; and to stay and begin the working up of colours; and to learn to boil the sizes, and grind the gessos...; and to get experience in gessoing anaconas [panels and mouldings], and modeling and scraping them; guilding and stamping; for the space of a good six years. Then to get experience in painting, embellishing with mordants, making cloths of gold, getting practice for six more years, drawing all the time, never leaving off, either on holidays or workdays.
    Rarely did the receive any pay, often dad had to pay the Artist.

Denis
  • very nice. Love Monet's Garden.
  • nice work! my favorite is me1.jpg.
  • Your doing good work, take your time and pay attention to Carders methods, you can't loose.
  • Hi, how's life in Shanghai? I used to live in China and I miss it haha. The landscapes show some nice aerial perspective but my favourite is the still life of the lemons. It's got lovely texture and composition. Well done!

• Thank you again for your comments.
    Shanghai is OK, bit crowded but plenty of interesting sights, noisy and polluted though so the only time I get to relax properly is when I'm painting. You can only paint stillness when you have peace and quiet right ! I can also sit and look at paintings for hours (not mine). heres a thin I just discovered, if you are using google chrome, right click on a picture on this site and click 'search google for this image'. It will show hundreds of images with the same colours and compositions, i was quite happy to get monets when I clicked on the monets garden, and me1 was pretty interesting too ! try it...
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks Ron, taking time is a very good idea, its not easy to walk away though, I find myself up at 4 or 5am sometimes, which is good for the workspace I think, the darker it is the more natural. Leonardo took 18 years to paint the virgin of the rocks ! no wonder it is so perfect.....http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/l/leonardo/02/3virg_l.html
    As for apprenticeship Dencal I fully agree, they must have been burning to paint after a year or so, I suppose they used it as a method to keep the horse in the block so to speak, until they could't bear it anymore and broke out with all their passion ( I suspect thats how leonardo discovered oil, he was too lazy to separate the egg yolk from the white and used some cooking oil instead so he could sneak out and draw stuff....Maybe it's something we could do as an exercise, just holding the brush next to the canvass and also I imagine spending time colour ( color for US citizens) mixing is good too as the object is developing in mind, mentally erasing mistakes...we have our own methods these days as were not depending on it for food.. My old teacher went to St.Martins in London in the 50's and they made him draw and paint an olive wreath for six months and nothing else. Now that is good practice, but probably a bit costly these days unless you do it on card or an a big old panel.
    If you are interested in viewing paitings I found this to be the best,they have everything, listed by artist , huge resolutions and it tells you where the painting is displayed.
    http://www.wga.hu/
  • Here's one for Mark. This is hidden away in the Tate gallery in London. Sargent was staying with Monet whilst toying with impressionism. Pure genius, I bet Monet was startled ..
  • Which city did you live in China Carmel ?
  • Beautiful work - S Rising( do you mind being called Stormy?) when you say hidden, was it just out of the main foot traffic or in some storage racks?
  • It's in the impressionists section so an unlikely place to find sargent, although he did go through an impressionistic period.
    There are several more, one in particular, an unfinished study portrait of a lady, the finished one is in USA somewhere.
    You can call me Jason, I don't know why I used a username.....
  • Thank you Jason. I can see the impressionistic aspect.