Suggestions on Buying a Printer

I'd like to be able to print my camera images onto photo paper to use as reference...instead of relying on a printer/shop.... Do any of you do this? Or do you think its best to Just have a print shop do it?

Quite a while ago, I think Mark mentioned he used an Epson printer?? but not sure on this??

Also...some of you have said when working from photos to have your photo printed the same size as your canvas...how do you do this when your canvas is much larger then any print shop makes or you can make on your own printer?

Anyway...any suggestions or help appreciated (thanks) I haven't owned a color printer in a long time...and want a really good one...

Comments

• Mark will definitely have some advice on this. Kaye bought a printer that makes very large prints which is incredibly nice. For larger canvases you would make multiple prints of each section.

By the way… don't use a print shop!
    Vangietjs
  • I have an Epson printer . It prints up to 13x19. It's nice but uses lots of ink.
    Many times I do what David said. Crop sections out, print, then tape the sections together.
    tjs
  • My wife and I do lots of color printing for various reasons. We compromised on a HP Laser Jet Color printer which does a nice job for both of us. However, if I were buying one just for my use as it relates to my art, I would probably get a large format ink jet printer.....anxious to hear Mark's advice after David's comment. Ronna sounds like she has a nice one but large format ink jet printers are going to consume lots of ink. Our laser jet printer produces nice color photographs suitable for what I do but not quite to the quality of an ink jet printer. Mine is also much more limited in maximum paper size at 8.5 x 14 inches. Compare that to Ronna's Epson at 13 x 19 inches. Depending on the particular laser jet printer, they generally cost less per print if you consider the life expectancy of a printer. If you only consider the cost on toner vs ink, laser jets are cheaper per printed page right off the bat. However, even though color laser jet printers have dropped in price dramatically over the last few years, they still cost more than an equivalent color ink jet printer = more up front expense.

My printer cost about $500 and uses 4 toner cartridges. Each cartridge costs about $60 from a secondary market source and produces about 1500 color prints before I need to replace the cartridges. Hope this is the type of information your looking for...Mark will give us the definitive answer. :)
  • Well, hoping to get a new printer, but I do love my Dell all in one. Not like Epson. It still does a great job. New will bring me a Epson, I just believe it...lol. :ar! :))
  • I have a canon pro 9000 mark2.it is an excellent printer.it prints up too 13x19.it is a photo printer.it has 7 ink cartridges.the quality is amazing.look on Ebay or craigs list.Good deals on this model.
    PS.. she is big and heavy..
    Gary
  • Buy the best photo printer with multiple ink cartridges you can afford, break the photo down to 8 x 10 or larger if the printer can handle it and just use each photo. If I have a 16 x 20 painting I crop it to that size in photoshop using the ruler as a guide and print 4 8 x 10's. gives you the entire painting to size and works as well as a larger print but much cheaper....good luck!
    TattooArtisttjs
  • I have a Canon Pixma MX870 all in one.... I had an epson before and I really liked but it drank a lot of ink. When it died I went with the Canon because that is the Camara I have... I get great prints from this printer... very true to color ... and consumes much less ink ...love it! ;;)
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    edited December 2012
    So far, and I have not tested extensively, the high-end Epsons are best as far as color accuracy. They are all good, but the high-end ones can print colors like deep blood alizarin crimson, cheap ones simply can not print that color.

They all get you on ink, but the 1000$+ ones less so. You get way more ink for the same money, so if you plan on printing a lot of photos, in the long run the expensive ones are actually cheaper.
    VangietjsCastillo
  • AmritAmrit -
    edited December 2012
    I was contemplating this too, ideally some kind of A3 colour laser. However when I looked at the cost it works out far cheaper to go to the local staples. They charged me £1.53 for a colour A3 photo. I needed 4 photos. Realistically I won't be printing more than 4 photos once a month or so. Plus this way if you're not happy with the photo then they are happy to keep adjusting the settings until you are. No storage space used and no need to buy expensive paper or ink, nor worry about the machine breaking down.

Like Mark says, it all depends on how many you plan to print. If it's only a handful then I would just go to a local printers.
  • HI everyone,

Mark, what would you say about this model: Epson Stylus Photo 1500W - http://www.ephotozine.com/article/epson-stylus-photo-1500w-a3-wireless-photo-printer-18227

will it make the work and provide that vivid red color?
    tjs
  • I have an older Espon Stylus Photo 1400 series and I love it. It does print very vivid reds and does the job for me. The ink cartridges can be costly to replace - each one is around $25.00 just to let you know.

But the last year I have been buying my cartridges from Swift Ink. Each cartridge is only $5.00. The service is extremely fast.

Before I replaced my epson cartridges with the swift ink one, I ran a series of color tests and then re-did them with the swift ink cartridges. They were exactly the same!

Swift ink carries cartridges for just about all printers. Here is their link:http://www.swiftink.com/

Again, I couldn't afford the more expensive Epson but the cheaper one does a great job in my opinion as far as color but more importantly - it hits the values!
    LizONeal
  • I buy my toner cartridges for my HP Laser Jet printer from Swiftink as well. Each cartridge is about 30% cheaper than buying the HP cartridge. The Swiftink toner works just as well as the HP toner, i.e, the prints are the same quality.
  • Hello Savannah,

I proceed in two steps:

- I will not print large format but half of the canvas that I use
    and I'm doing a grid to reproduce so my photo twice

- I use a small portable dvd/usb key drive where I view the picture (I can zoom in it) to paint when I need a precision

over time, I save the printer ink which anyway is more than the A4 format

I hope I have helped
    Christel
  • Savannah said:

I'd like to be able to print my camera images onto photo paper to use as reference...instead of relying on a printer/shop.... Do any of you do this? Or do you think its best to Just have a print shop do it?

Savannah,

I bought a printer one time. We had to build an extra room and our food bills went up big time. Then there were the girls and the parties.

My suggestion ... oh, wait, you meant a ...

I have a Canon IP5200 and it works great. I cannot recall what I paid for it but now I have the ink cartridges refilled at Costco for a pretty decent discount. I recently bought a Swingline/GBC laminating machine which was on sale at an Office Depot for $124.99 (regularly $189) along with Crystal Clear GBC laminating sheets. This system works great. The photos I have in the Maz thread (8" x 10") were printed on the Canon and laminated with the machine.

G

• edited February 2013
    Thanks all for your input...the just ended buying a Canon printer (I have a canon digital camera that I love) ...it was within my price range and now waiting to get my glossy photo paper via internet.......will use it for the challenge painting...I've never done grid painting before..so really excited with this method...you've all been great giving suggestions and help...appreciate!

Garry...I also have the same laminating machine you have...I like it so much better then using the self stick sheets...I'm one of Costco's favorite customers...but didn't realize that they did ink refills...although I'm a little leary...while searching for reviews on printers...I read a review that said that many of the compatible ink cartridges & inks made today are made in China...they use cheap, inferior ink and not the same quality as genuine inks...they can clog the pin heads in your printer and you have to replace it...which is costly......?? so I'm thinking I'll just pay high dollar and go with Genuine Canon Ink thinkin' it might better in the long run..
    Vangie
  • Savannah said:

..I read a review that said that many of the compatible ink cartridges & inks made today are made in China...they use cheap, inferior ink and not the same quality as genuine inks...they can clog the pin heads in your printer and you have to replace it...which is costly......??

Savannah,

The printer I use has print cartridges that have print heads on the cartridges, not permanent ones. So if they clog or get damaged all you do is throw the cartridge away and buy a new one. The colors look fine to me. The Costco guy told me that the quality is exactly the same as the manufacturer's ink. I wouldn't be surprised if not only were the cartridges that Canon or Epson sell made in China, but their printers probably are too, though I'm not sure.

• edited February 2013
    Thanks Garry.......Costco is such a fine company...I love it...they back everything they sell....and good quality...I'll recheck my printer and see what type of pin heads I have...
  • Savannah said:

Thanks Garry.......Costco is such a fine company...I love it...they back everything they sell....and good quality...I'll recheck my printer and see what type of pin heads I have...

Savannah......Costco has three types of pin heads....Gary, Garry and Bubba G! :D
  • What? I represent that.
    Gary
  • You guys crack me up!! :)) :D=))