Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Impossible to know, but probably so. I've known many wood finishers or furniture refinishers..they regularly expose themselves to a great variety of organic solvents and other hazardous substances with little or no protection...oblivious to the danger as Bob Ross seemed to be. Most end up in poor health or die at a young age. Many become heavy drinkers...almost as if they are trying to wash out the solvent taste that gets in their throats. In those cases, they risk double jeopardy and a weakened immune system. A point I often make about alcoholic drinks is that the ethanol it contains is just another organic solvent, it just happens to harm and kill more slowly than most others, so we fool ourselves into believing we can safely consume it. A similar mindset is used with odorless mineral spirits...because it's less toxic and has a less noxious odor than turpentine and regular mineral spirits, many of us feel it is safer. Technically, that may be true, but it's a dangerous way to think because it leads to bad habits and carelessness.

On the other hand, if we enjoy good health, and our exposure to these toxins is light and infrequent, I believe our bodies can defend and cleanse themselves. Its the heavy or frequent exposures that overwhelm and create the greatest danger. Therefore, I didn't panic at the solvent odor that lingered for a few days when my YMCA refinished the wood floor in the room where I work out, and I don't worry about the tiny amounts of OMS that inevitably get into my body after taking reasonable measures to avoid most of it.
    marieb
  • I wondered about that big open bucket of mineral spirits.
    That stuff gives me a buzz if I'm around it too much.
    There must have been high concentrations of vapor in the air when he cleaned and dried his brush by beating it against his easel.
    It was always a relaxing show to watch though.
    He died of Lymphoma.
    marieb
  • It's a bizarre way to wash a brush (or anything), but those clips bring back memories. That soft laid back manner of speech was sort of like Mr. Rodgers for adults.
    johnw
  • That soft laid back manner of speech was too many scooby snacks. No one is that laid back & mellow all the time, or gets the giggles from repeatedly slapping his brush without some kind of extra-curricular enhancement. Just sayin'.
    johnw
  • See...that's what i'm talkin about. :)) I'll wager he was smoking his happy little trees. @-)
    Castillorgrjohnwmarieb
  • Those solvents made him pretty happy.
    Not to say he never mixed his Titanium White with Panama Red, or Acapulco Gold.
    jcdr
  • Good grief #-o Look what I've started.
    jcdrjohnwmarieb
  • "Cover everything in the studio."

Including his lungs.

What's wrong with smoking happy little trees? ;) Of course in my line of work I get drug tested ... but that's only for another 12 years until I retire.
    marieb
  • Regardless of how many view him he's still my favorite landscape painter and I'd be happy to own one of his if I could.
  • ...and his little furry friend...THE SQUIRL!
  • Bob Ross looked like a nice guy and I enjoyed his program and I don't care what he did off camera. I got better things to do then beat-up a dead man.
  • Bob Ross gave me loads of inspiration and confidence to start painting with oils. I've since developed more of my own style, but really appreciate what I learned from him.
  • It was a happy world and you could not watch his show without a smile. He certainly helped a lot of people get a start including me. :)
  • gfishgfish -
    edited January 2014
    Gee Garry, 12 years. I thought, I mean, ah, well I'm sorry, I thought you were closer than that. Oops :-SS
    Ronmarieb
  • Several years of great inspiration for me as well, even now when I catch some of the reruns I'm always left in awe by the way he painted mountains.
  • It's always a good idea to have an open window near by and a breeze to sweep away the toxic fumes, even if you cannot smell them, they are there.
  • His name still reunites and his name is on a line of art supplies - thats better than a lot painters can do with there art! B-)
  • Let's put another happy little mountain right in there :) I just did this last week after watching a Bob that I downloaded. What a great guy,i'm pretty sure that i saw him years ago on sesame street , am I right?
    Anyway, bless his soul hope he saves us a happy little cloud up there :)
  • Happy little Cloud, Happy little stream, and do not forget -happy little squirrel!
    l! :)>-
  • I first saw Bob Ross a few years ago when I first had cable tv. I was awake at four o clock in the morning and came across his show. I loved to watch him paint but fell asleep within five mins listening to has voice... so relaxing , I was devastated to learn that he had been long dead at that time.I recorded his shows and watched them during the day ...@ronna...with hindsight you should have titled this thread, "Memories of bob Ross"... :D
  • johnwjohnw -
    edited March 2014
    I liked the show, and enjoyed the landscapes, but I much prefer learning realism, that is; painting stuff as I see it, though I'm sure there's much pleasure in creating fantasy landscapes, using clever painting tricks to speed the process.

Did he ever paint happy little portraits, or happy little still lifes?
  • I love watching the show the for the entertainment. His paintings lack quite a bit for me but they do look like fun to do. I don't think he did figures (on the show) but he would bring all kinds of guests on the show, at least one of which was a figure painter (but I think he too was a little quirky and painted portraits with his fingers).
  • At the very least, he made a lot of people aware of painting, and in a nice way. :)
    rgr