Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Pimsleur Approach

edited February 2014 in Off-Topic Discussion
Just wondering if anyone here has or knows someone that's used this method and successfully learned a new language. I've been using the Rosetta Stone but haven't learned much, I've picked up more words just by watching and listening to japanese movies and music.

Comments

• Not for Japanese :( sorry.
    I learned some french and spanish from micheal thomas tapes, just enough to get by for my travels. I thought they were good, but I like rosetta stone too :) .....maybe you could get an emailpal/skypepal thing going with an english learner over there.
    Conversationexchange.com and mylanguageexchange.com come up in a cursory search.
    Castillo
  • I love using Pimsleur. You will not become fluent using Pimsleur but it is an excellent way to start a language.

You will not learn a bunch of grammer rules and you won't have an extensive vocabulary. You will learn basic conversational skills that you can them build upon using other methods.
    I learned Spanish before I learned about Pimsleur using books and homemade index cards. Also I switched from an English to a Spanish congregation so I was immersed in it.
    I've used Pimsleur to get the basics of German down and this has served me well on trips to Germany. I also did a little bit a Japanese and Portuguese. (I'm a flight attendant)
    I like the fact that it is 98% Audio.
    This means I can learn a language while driving. You local library usually has a copy to borrow.
    Castillo
  • Good Grief! Im still having trouble with english! :\">
    Castillomarieb
  • I don't know anything about Pimsleur and I'm monolingual, but I've heard that Rosetta Stone, while extremely useful for many languages, is pretty much useless for others… including Japanese. Here are some links to check out that might be helpful:

textfugu.com

japanese.lingualift.com

yesjapan.com

Castillo
  • edited February 2014
    I've tried a lot of them - got a good start in Spanish with Berlitz and now speak at a conversational level. Not fluent, but I can carry on a conversation. I used Pimsleur for French and liked it a lot. I pretty much forgot everything I learned though, because I didn't keep my skills up by joining a conversation group or something afterwards. Even watching a French TV station would have helped, but Pimsleur was good. Rosetta Stone will teach you how to say "The boy is underneath the table," but not how to engage in a normal conversation with anybody.
    Castillo

• "The boy is underneath the table," Might be normal in a house with lots of kids ! Or you could substitute the word Cat when you want to chuck it out :))
    Martin_J_Crane
  • Thanks @DavidUK @jimandnici @David_Quinn_Carder @Martin_J_Crane !

While searching the web for more info on the Pimsleur approach I stumbled across Alexa Pulidoro. She's a French teacher residing in London and is currently offering the first 15 lessons to her online course for free on her site. After having gone through a couple of them I ended up loving it and at the moment I'm working on lesson 5. If I keep at it I may find myself exchanging impressions with fellow artists at the Louvre by next year :-j
    Martin_J_Crane
  • Pimsleur Japanese is very good, the best of the Pimsleur serieses I've used.
    A good textbook to use would be "Genki" but it's expensive.
    Castillo