Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Carder Colour Wheel

For my paint mixing app I wanted to see what colours can be made with Marks recommended colours.

The left one will be saturation, colours going to grey. The right one is luminosity, going to white.
Before do anymore do these steps look right, as I'm not sure they do. When I made the orange I was sure it was correct, not yellow, not red. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or tips to make a vey accurate colour wheel?

(I'm going to use 2 coats of paint so it can be changed)

Castillo[Deleted User][Deleted User]IllagoRonna

Comments

• are you making one for the dark tones?
    mavis_swt
  • The orange looks right to me paul_s but I'm wondering why the red on left looks like cadmium and the one in the right looks like alizarin. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
  • I may do dark tones, at a later stage. I have also planned a HSL wheel, where the colours are given in degrees. The colour wheel for these colours is very different. When I do that one I will also use other pigments for a comparison.

The red on the left has a tiny bit of white added. the reason for this is that when I make mix the desaturated colours they are going to be so dark you won't be able to see much, so I thought I'd keep them at a similar level of brightness. (I know technically adding a tiny bit of white changes the hue but I felt the benefit of seeing the colours was more important)

Thanks for looking at it
  • The colours are so vibrant!
  • paul_s

I've just been reading Foss, Gloria 1991 "How to Paint" Watson-Guptil New York.

Gloria creates an interesting color wheel p202.

It has four rings, the outer No1 is the spectrum colors out of the tube.
    Ring No2, as you'd expect is the tints and No 3 the shades, but done with the opposite sides of the wheel instead of black, to show the complementary shades.

Ring No 4 is the the complementary shades lifted with white, showing some nice values.
    Gloria says this about ring No 4 "I call these lifted complements, for lack of an official term, because they are found by adding white to the shades. These muted colors are among the most important aspects of your color vocabulary. In landscape painting you will use relatively few intense colors and a great many middle grayed colors like these, especially in the distance. Indeed the colors in ring #4 could be thought of as distant versions of the chromatic colors in ring #1."

Gloria then places a neutral middle chromatic gray (red,blue,yellow and white) for reference in the center.

Here is a pic of Gloria's Complementary Color Wheel.

Denis